User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2012, 05:50 PM   #181
Dang Canadian
n00b

Oddometer: 3
My 98 315R

She has the after-market shock spring, linkage adapters, re-valving and cnc dog legs. I upgraded to a PWK 28mm carb with a conical filter since this picture was taken. The motor has had the squash band dropped from 1.8 to .7mm, the head has been coated and same with the piston. I put boyseen reeds in her and also polished/ modified the transfer chambers in the jug. I ceramic coated the header pipe and modified the mid muffler. The flywheel has been lightened and the timing advanced 10 deg. I replaced the clutched with ones from Mitani and have polished the cage. I want to find the 300cc kit that was made for this bike but no one wants to sell it anymore :(. It is still on the original Nikasil and this year when I rebuild her I am going to port her. And I also put on a Nology 2 stroke coil with a MSD wire and a carb wing to give back the bottom end snap I lost with the carb.
Attached Images

Dang Canadian screwed with this post 01-23-2012 at 06:04 PM
Dang Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 03:59 PM   #182
katfish52
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjonesphoto View Post
I went and looked at a used 04 315r this afternoon and need some input from those of you that are familiar with them.

The bike is well used and maybe even a bit rough cosmetically. The plastics look good with a new rear fender but the bike has been well used. There is jb weld on both the flywheel and clutch covers the skid plate is far from flat and the rubber pad is compressed in a couple places. The levers are well used and bent but working. There were neoprene boots on the fork seals so I don't know the condition of the stantions. The rear tire has good tread but the base of the blocks were very cracked. New chain and sprokets but the guides are broken on the cs and by the tire. I was told the top end was new in the spring.

The owner is an active member in the local trials club and is asking $2400 for it. Based on Its appearance it seems a little high but I know these bikes fetch a premium. Is the price reasonable for its condition?

Thanks.
I bought my 04 last July for $3200. Was in very good condition,so I think thats a fair price.
katfish52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:29 PM   #183
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dang Canadian View Post
She has the after-market shock spring, linkage adapters, re-valving and cnc dog legs. I upgraded to a PWK 28mm carb with a conical filter since this picture was taken. The motor has had the squash band dropped from 1.8 to .7mm, the head has been coated and same with the piston. I put boyseen reeds in her and also polished/ modified the transfer chambers in the jug. I ceramic coated the header pipe and modified the mid muffler. The flywheel has been lightened and the timing advanced 10 deg. I replaced the clutched with ones from Mitani and have polished the cage. I want to find the 300cc kit that was made for this bike but no one wants to sell it anymore :(. It is still on the original Nikasil and this year when I rebuild her I am going to port her. And I also put on a Nology 2 stroke coil with a MSD wire and a carb wing to give back the bottom end snap I lost with the carb.
You should have more bottom end power with a PWK fitted.............try re-fitting the stock air box, and putting the timing back to standard.
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:24 PM   #184
Dang Canadian
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-shocker View Post
You should have more bottom end power with a PWK fitted.............try re-fitting the stock air box, and putting the timing back to standard.
The air box is too much of a pain to fit to the carb so i probably won't do that anytime soon :) Yes the jetting is a bit out but the main problem is that the engine has never been rebuilt and is now lacking compression. When she is rebuilt I will love her even more.
Old 01-31-2012, 03:01 PM   #185
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dang Canadian View Post
The air box is too much of a pain to fit to the carb so i probably won't do that anytime soon :) Yes the jetting is a bit out but the main problem is that the engine has never been rebuilt and is now lacking compression. When she is rebuilt I will love her even more.
Your bike will run poorly without the stock air box fitted, and you will need to avoid using it in serious competition, as water will get sucked into the motor very easily with a pod type filter fitted.
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:58 AM   #186
Pasquale G. (aka KH)
n00b

Oddometer: 4
My baby

My Montesa baby. Did a rebuild on a few items and basically gave it a face lift. Still having trouble getting it to run with the choke off (and wow that is a royal pain getting to the fuel shut-off petcock and the choke lever.)

Hope you guys like it!
Attached Images

Pasquale G. (aka KH) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:25 AM   #187
Pasquale G. (aka KH)
n00b

Oddometer: 4
My Noob Sherco

Here is my Sherco too. A 2.9 I picked up in nevada. Was a real garage queen (flats, bad clutch, etc.) until i cleaned it up.
Attached Images

Pasquale G. (aka KH) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 03:22 PM   #188
brewtus
Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer: 2,620
Quote:
Your bike will run poorly without the stock air box fitted, and you will need to avoid using it in serious competition, as water will get sucked into the motor very easily with a pod type filter fitted.

brewtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:31 PM   #189
Dang Canadian
n00b

Quote:

Up here in Alberta if any motorbike even rides near a creek let alone in it, the rangers ticket you $2000 and can take your bike away. So no water here :'(
Old 02-06-2012, 11:42 AM   #190
UngaWunga
Mosquito bait

Oddometer: 6,325
Anyone have an exploded diagram of the forks? 2002 model, I believe. Mine are leaking around the bottom adjusters. Guessing that it's a problem with an o-ring or something.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:41 AM   #191
foroffroaduseonly
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
I crashed my 2002 315r in some rocks yesterday and put a small dent in the fork tube. I know it's a longshot but Does anyone know where I could get one for less then 600$ from here http://montesacota315.com/en/parts.html ??
foroffroaduseonly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:31 AM   #192
Stumpalump
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Lewisports mentioned to advance the timing on the 315R. Not simple but it really picked up power from the bottom on up. What is the mid pipe or mid muffler mod?
KTM 200 EXC.
XR400
Stumpalump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:49 AM   #193
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,774
Out of the crate the bikes had three restictor plates. One in the header, one in the air box, and one an insert in the end of the mid pipe. It was a reducer welded in that could be cut out. That sounds like what you are talking about. The ignition mod is just making your own slot to give yourself some adjustment to the timing.
Just remove the muffler and look at the end of the mid-pipe it should be obvious if is stll there. I never rode one with the restrictors in place, but they had to run quite mild.
lineaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:50 PM   #194
walstibsf
ADVENTURE-HOLIC

Oddometer: 213
re: CNC doglegs

Hi, gang. Long time lurker, first time poster here in Trials,or 315r for that matter. Any chance "CNC doglegs" refer to the fork slider lowers? Mine on the right hand side has developed a crack just shy of the pinch bolts for the axle.

Thanks in advance,

Bobby

what a long strange trip it's been......SO FAR......
walstibsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 05:40 PM   #195
walstibsf
ADVENTURE-HOLIC

Oddometer: 213
Well....I had the pinch section on the right lower fork leg welded by a certified aircraft welder. And it has lasted several practices and one event, so no need for a new leg at this point. I talked to Mike at the Tryals shop and he said he sees these broken all the time. He suggested two things: 1. put shims in the gap of the pinch to prevent over stressing. 2. Use loctite and don't over-torque.

Thanks, Mike............

what a long strange trip it's been......SO FAR......
walstibsf is offline   Reply With Quote