Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2009, 12:11 PM   #1
T O Double D OP
Pogue Mahone

Oddometer: 930
A Wild Hare Adventure: Mt. Shasta to the Black Rock Desert

Day 1:

By way of happenstance I found myself In the town of Mt Shasta City, California, with a loaded bike, a map, several days to play, but no destination. I decided follow a logging road around the base of the mountain and just go wherever it lead me.

Heading towards Mt Shasta. The mountain is often obscured by clouds and today was no exception.

The start of the fun. There are many miles of dirt roads back behind the mountain...

The only water crossing on my entire 1,300 mile trip and it was an easy one.

I had thought this road would be a bit tougher than this, but it was a main road used by loggers, so it was pretty well maintained. This being one of the worst sections.

Just after that pic was taken, as I was rounding a corner, an adolescent bear came bounding across the road in front of me. He took off into the woods before I could get any pics of him though.

This is Shasta's east side.

After riding around the mountain I decided to check out Lava Beds National Park. Plenty of dirt roads out there to enjoy and the volcanic scenery is pretty cool.

It was getting a bit late, so I decided to find a camp site. My map showed a lake nearby had camping so off I went to Medicine Lake.

After setting up camp I dropped my panniers and went exploring. No map, just find a road that looks interesting and go.

This was on the way up to a look out overlooking the Little Glass Mountain Geologic Site. Can you ask for a better day?

The look out.

The view of Little Glass Mountain with Shasta off in the distance in the middle of the pic. This was a lava flow and is made up of a bunch of different types of volcanic rock.

Even tough I was wearing MX boots I decided I had to climb Little Glass Mountain. It was only about 75-100 feet elevation gain, but it was damn steep! This is looking back down towards my bike.

The black rocks you see are obsidian. The rest is mainly pumice.

Well that's day one. Hope you enjoyed the pics. I'll add to them as time permits over the next couple of days.

Cheers!
T O Double D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 12:14 PM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,854
Awesome ride, report and pics!! I see some front page pics here too. Thanks for sharing your adventure
Old 07-20-2009, 12:41 PM   #3
RiverRat
Endless Chores

Oddometer: 3,836
Dude, that's tough terrain to hike wearing mx boots. Nice camp spot.

RiverRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 01:12 PM   #4
ADV Fool
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 450
Oh Boy!!!!

I've been telling my riding partner we should head in the direction of the Lava Beds National Park. Thx for taking us along. With your pics maybe I can get him off the fence. Keep 'em coming!!!!!

2010 HD Ultra "Limited"
ADV Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 02:47 PM   #5
GalacticGS
1200 GS Rider

Oddometer: 2,216
Great pics...

Can't wait to see more!

"Speak to me of summer, long winters longer than time can remember;
Setting up of other roads, travel on in old accustomed ways."
GalacticGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 07:47 PM   #6
LoneTiger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Verry good report and pics!!
LoneTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 09:56 AM   #7
Adventure Trio
Wandering

Oddometer: 578
Great pics. We spend alot of time riding those roads. All of your photos make me want to pack up right now and head out. If you ever need a remote place to camp in the area PM me.

Great report....

-Terry
Adventure Trio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 09:53 PM   #8
T O Double D OP
Pogue Mahone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV Randy
I've been telling my riding partner we should head in the direction of the Lava Beds National Park. Thx for taking us along. With your pics maybe I can get him off the fence. Keep 'em coming!!!!!

Some fun stuff up there. There's tons of roads and other things to explore.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:54 PM   #9
T O Double D OP
Pogue Mahone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure Trio
Great pics. We spend alot of time riding those roads. All of your photos make me want to pack up right now and head out. If you ever need a remote place to camp in the area PM me.

Great report....

-Terry
Thanks for the offer! I'm always on the look out for back country camp sites.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:53 PM   #10
T O Double D OP
Pogue Mahone

Day 2-3:

I decided to spend a little time exploring Lava Beds Park. The first site I came to was Mammoth Crater. This Caldera supplied a lot of the lava for the flows in the area.

My map showed several "ice caves" on it and I happened to be cruising right by one. I had never heard of an ice cave so off I went down a foot path that was almost half a mile long. This is what I came to, Heppe Ice cave.

And this is looking back up from the bottom of the cave.

There wasn't much ice, in fact I really had to look for it. I found out latter this was one of the smaller ice caves in the area.

I noticed a dirt road on my map that said it had a big horn sheep enclosure on it. I've never seen of of 'em and the map showed the road connecting to a HWY I wanted to take to get to my next fuel stop in the town of Alturas.

There were several meadows along this seldom driven dirt road.

Well after about ten miles of this great road, and no sign of the big horn sheep, I came upon this.

Apparently some hunting club had bought the land and now I couldn't get through. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to see the road in reverse.

I made my way to Alturas by paved roads after that. Saw some Pelicans and indian graffitti.

I have a collection of dirt road boarder crossings and decided to head to Nevada for a pic after refueling in Alturas. Not knowing the area I stopped off at the BLM office and picked up one of their maps.

Surprise Valley just after the town of Cederville. The mountains in the background are Nevada.

I offer up indisputable proof that Nevada rules. At the state line the pavement ends!

Well, ok. I made it to Nevada and got my backroad boarder crossing pic. Now where am I?

I got out my trusty BLM map, it really wasn't the greatest, but it'll do, and realised I was less than 100 miles from the Black Rock Desert's Playa. It's a dry lake bed that my Burning Man friends have been going to for years, but I've avoided because I don't like events. Well I've always wanted to see it when Burning Man wasn't happening and especially spend the night out on it.

The roads out here in Nevada are very cool. Dirt, but well maintained. I was cruising at 70 MPH with my feet up on the cylinder heads, back against my dry bag, and right hand resting on my knee. Harleys ain't got nothing on a GSA!

Things spotted on the way to the Playa...

Wild horses.

I saw this off the main road just outside of Gerlach, the nearest town.

It was a little road that had a bunch of weird art things on it . At the end it had something to do with the Iron Butt people. I need to investigate this sometime.

Here I am with the Playa behind me.

I didn't know this, but according to my BLM map this area is where the current land speed record was set of 763 MPH.

We raced, I kicked his ass!

See how fast I'm going.

Ok, so no speed records for me, but I did get up to 100 for a bit. Generaly I kept it to a reasonable speed out here though.

Ok, you'll have to bare with me on these. I was having fun taking these pics.

My campsite.

And here I am all packed up the next morning.

My map showed a place called Soldier Meodows and said it had a restaurant. It was out in the middle of absolutley nowhere and sounded interesting, so off I went.

A register out in the middle of nowhere. I signed it making sure to write ADV next to my name for the next FF.

The road wasn't as good as what I'd cruised down on yesturday, but was for the most part easy.

All except two patches of silt. Silt sucks.

Finally I made it to Soldier Meadows. Time for breakfast.

I met one of the owners, Kathy, and she was very cool. She and her husband had bought the place about four years ago and seem to be doing a great job with it. They offer food and lodging, but AFAIK no gas. It was a cool place with lots of outdoor activities to be done in the surrounding countryside, rock hounding, hunting, 4x4, dirtbiking, exploring, animal veiwing, and just plain sitting on yer ass. Definately worth checking out.

http://www.soldiermeadows.com/

They even had an airstrip you could land on!

After breakfast I hotfooted it back to Shasta to see some family, taking paved roads the whole way, so I won't bore you with the details.

Thanks for checking out my ride. I love posting these up, as it gives me a chance to really think about how much fun I had, and ingrains the memories in my head! Hope you get a fun ride in this summer as well!

Cheers!
Old 07-21-2009, 11:16 PM   #11
WildChildRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Looks like you had a blast I used to live in Redding and the Ride up to Mt. Shasta is great. The pics are just freaking sweet and I have never even thought about cruising around the base of Mt. Shasta. Thats a sweet GSA you got yourself.

Ever make it to Sacramento and I will take up and around South Lake
Hope all is well!

Logan
WildChildRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 11:17 PM   #12
tony the tiger
yeah - what he said...

Oddometer: 9,999
Cool2

Thanks for the ride... I like that Ice Cave pic from the inside out
tony the tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 11:48 PM   #13
wachs
just passin' through

Oddometer: 4,798
Beauty! Nice work there. Imagine that basin as an inland sea and the petrified wood a tropical forest. Why doesn't the Sierra Club sue the government to make it the way it once was?

http://www.altrider.com/product/cate...rch/hemisphere
wachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 08:38 AM   #14
Just Paul
Pro Cat Herder

Oddometer: 2,098
Todd,

Great Pics. Loved the stitched pics.. cool !!

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
Just Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 11:42 AM   #15
AngryScot

Oddometer: 18,319
very nice!
great pics
AngryScot is offline   Reply With Quote