User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2009, 07:02 PM   #16
Butters
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,380
New Battery Campaign - Yausas

I posted in the Index thread what I learned today while my XCh got its first service - as of about 2 days ago they are replacing the batteries with new Yausa batteries. They didn't have any in stock, so I need to return. I didn't think this was a big deal as mine had been trouble free. (and had had a battery replaced while it just before I bought it new in June under a separate campaign)

Had been. Yep, 30 miles from the shop in the middle of nowhere my battery crapped not even an hour after having its first service and state inspection. I was almost as pissed as I was when the the bike fell while being towed.

2007 XChallenge
795 miles
ABS: Yes
Aug. 08, 2009
Mods: Garmin 60CSx wired to powerlet
Failure: While traveling about 50 mph, the bike stuttered as if out of gas. A couple more times then died. Got it started and the voltage was over 14 while running (although right about 12 stopped). Got about 4 more miles and same thing (stopped voltage under 10V, running over 14V). Wnet about another mile and she was done (6V or so stopped, could hear the relay under the front shroud.)
Resolution: New battery and all seems well. We'll see how it goes and I will update if the problem recurs.

Edit: I removed the battery - it showed 12.7v. So I connected it back up and tested the voltage as I turned the key on (not crank, just on to start up the dash). The voltage immediately dropped to 7v then to 3v. I also saw the battery had a "deploy by" date of 6/09. Since my existing battery was apparently already replaced once while in inventory, I thought this was odd as I was under the impression these were newer batteries.

Edit#2: Resolution edited - new battery appears to have fixed it.

Butters screwed with this post 08-13-2009 at 09:29 AM
Butters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 05:26 AM   #17
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,123
Marc,

Are they replacing working batteries or only after they fail? Mine just failed again stranding me 180 miles from home. I got another OEM battery but the dealer, being an honest fellow, said I'd be best off replacing with a non OEM battery on my nickel. I'd prefer BMW's nickel, of course.

Is the replacement policy BMW's or your dealer's?
slide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 05:54 AM   #18
sailwing2003
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
recall on batteries

Just in the shop checking the VIN # on my new purchase.

Dealer showed me a recall on the batteries, changing brands.

Suggest everyone call to have your dealer run your VIN #.

1998 Foretravel 36' Unicoach 295
Just sold the 08 GSA Adventure
sailwing2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 07:10 AM   #19
Butters
. . . . . .

My understanding is exactly what Sailwing said. They are replacing ALL the Exides with new Yausas. They were going to replace mine, even though it had been working fine, but they did not have the new batteries yet. It was just irony that mine happened to fail after I left the dealer.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:59 AM   #20
slide
A nation in despair

Thx. Next Tuesday I will be at Mr. Dealer.
Old 08-09-2009, 02:10 PM   #21
Somber
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 349
2009 XChallenge
4,514 miles
ABS: No
Aug. 02, 2009
Mods: nothing electrical related
Failure: Was at the local Cycle Gear shop to grab some supplies, went out to start the bike, dash lights come on, but not enough battery to crank the engine. Attempts to bump start fail. Pull battery, tried to charge at the shop, but no amount of charging will get the bike to crank.
Resolution: Pulled a Yausa battery off the shelf at the shop, installed, fired right up, no problems in the 1 week since that time.

Let me hold my breath about BMW reimbursing me for the battery :-/ I am amazed that it happened to me at a bike shop instead of the middle of nowhere, so yay for small victories.
Somber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 02:34 PM   #22
slide
A nation in despair

No reimb. I asked when I was stranded second time. The road service will come if you are 1,000 miles away but they will not pay for the fix. Stupid economy to my POV.
Old 08-09-2009, 04:02 PM   #23
Butters
. . . . . .

I couldn't find my BMW cross country info, so I had to use my Progressive Insurance. It pays the first $75 of a tow. I had to eat the additional $160.

Not to hijack this thread, but how do we actually get BMW road service? I tried searching on my Blackberry and couldn't even find a 800 number.

Also, my battery is definitely shot. It reads 12.7v until a load is put on and then drops down to 3v.
Old 08-09-2009, 04:15 PM   #24
slide
A nation in despair

You should have gotten a card with the super secret BMW number mailed to you within a few days of purchase. I bought an 1150 once and got the super secret card / number 2 years later.
Old 08-09-2009, 05:42 PM   #25
Bike#8
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
I still haven't gotten my card for the bike purchase I made earlier this year, lol. But, last month when I had a electrical issue with my bike, the service manager gave me the road side assistance number. Told me call them to set up a time to have my bike picked up at my house, and hauled to the shop. All the BMW RSA people needed was the last seven characters in my vin number. Worked like a charm. A bike specific truck showed up right on time. Zero charge to me.
Bike#8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 07:40 PM   #26
Butters
. . . . . .

Thanks for the help. FYI - it looks like the number for BMW Roadside Assistance is 877-680-2176. I wish I had been able to search better on my blackberry as apparently they have a $500 credit toward the tow (and probably would have secured my bike better so it wouldn't fall while being towed).

Needless to say, I will put that number in my wallet (at least until my super secret card arrives).

End Hijack.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:13 AM   #27
MadMax
Marveling...

Oddometer: 411
Another battery issue

Model: xchallenge
Year: 2007
ABS: Yes
Mileage at time of issue: 5,007 mi.
Date of occurrence: 08/06/09
Modifications (if any): Powerlet GPS plug
Description of Failure(s): Battery completely dead after overnight in a hotel. The battery had been replaced by MaxBMW prior to me starting my cross-country trip on 7/17/09. It lasted 3 weeks and 5k miles and gave up the ghost. BMW roadside assistance towed it in a covered trailer 250 mi. to Brown motorworks in Pomona, CA. No charge and no hassle, thank God!
Resolution (if any): BMW dealer just received the Yuasa replacement batteries and put one in for me, covered under warranty.
Reference Thread: N/A

MadMax
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 01:03 PM   #28
5Chord
No Short-Term Memory

Oddometer: 1,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters
Thanks for the help. FYI - it looks like the number for BMW Roadside Assistance is 877-680-2176. I wish I had been able to search better on my blackberry as apparently they have a $500 credit toward the tow (and probably would have secured my bike better so it wouldn't fall while being towed).

Needless to say, I will put that number in my wallet (at least until my super secret card arrives).

End Hijack.
DON'T bet your life on it........Here's my nightmare
Old 08-11-2009, 04:47 PM   #29
Butters
. . . . . .

Well, I'll find out later this week. The nearest dealer is 50 miles away and won't let me just swap out the battery (even though the old one is sitting on my workbench). So I will need to have BMW roadside assistance tow my bike 50 miles to swap a battery! Rules is rules I guess, but this borders on ridiculous. I'm half inclined to buy a spare battery and ride there. At least i won't have to sit around waiting for a tow . . .
Old 08-12-2009, 06:59 AM   #30
5Chord
No Short-Term Memory

Oddometer: 1,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters
Well, I'll find out later this week. The nearest dealer is 50 miles away and won't let me just swap out the battery (even though the old one is sitting on my workbench). So I will need to have BMW roadside assistance tow my bike 50 miles to swap a battery! Rules is rules I guess, but this borders on ridiculous. I'm half inclined to buy a spare battery and ride there. At least i won't have to sit around waiting for a tow . . .
Just charge the old one