Quote:
Originally Posted by transworld View Post
Model: xCountry
Year: 2009
ABS: Yes
Mileage at time of issue: 9,000
Date of occurrence: June 2013.
Modifications (if any): None.
Description of Failure(s): Stalls when hot and driving, loss of power in low RPMs, takes a long time to get speed
Resolution (if any):
Reference Thread:

Since the weather got hot here, I have problems with the bike especially when stuck in the NYC traffic. As the bike get hot, it stalls when I slow down, and I have no power in low RPMs and a two seconds lag when i accelerate.
Right now I am thinking maybe to change the battery which may not send enough juice once the fan is blowing hard? When I look at the dash voltmeter, it sometimes get down to 12.2
The exhaust is stock, would that be a possible problem as well?

Thanks!
I think I got it. Tried to replace battery with no improvement. Decided to check out the fuel pump and filter. Back flushed the filter, cleaned the tank. There was a little bit of shaved metal there, which I expected after reading it was a common problem on the 800GS which share the pump assembly with the g650x. Apparently comes from the OEM pump.
Anyhow, i didn't think it was enough for the symptoms i was experiencing. Suspected that maybe it was a problem with the tank not venting/breathing properly. I checked hoses going to the charcoal canister, and the hose going from canister to ground was completely plugged with some type of red material. Not sure what it was.
Cleaned it, removed the canister, and everything seems to be working fine now, no more loss of power or delayed response in acceleration. I imagine heavy vacuum was created in the tank, and vapor created by hot gas were not helping. Glad the bike is working fine now, i didn't like the stalling at low speed in Manhattan traffic...
transworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:12 AM   #602
gsstampeder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,060
Clutch Housing

I replaced (rebuilt-new seals, impeller, gaskets) my waterpump about a month ago. Bike has 30k miles so it was due....I guess.

After I got my bike back from the shop who performed the service, the bike was very hard to shift from 1st to 2nd gear. It was so hard that I took it back and asked why....they couldn't explain why it suddenly was not shifting properly. Ok??? I took the bike home and rode it and it started shifting normally but it did take a day or two before it was a smooth shift (if the x-c is ever considered smooth shifting) but during this time I also noticed the coolant was still 'weeping'. I kept an eye on the 'weep' as well as on my oil to make sure it wasn't mixing coolant with engine oil. The oil was fine and the weep stopped in a few days...or so i thought. It seemed that the 'weep' would come and go. Kinda weird. I had an F650GS previously and had the waterpump replaced and it took a day or so for the new seals to set properly to stop the weep, so I gave the x-c the same grace period. But the weep didn't go away. I took it back to the shop and they opened it up. (Thanks BMW for designing the bike so the whole subframe needs to be dropped to get to one single screw to open the covers - good thinking)
Turns out the 'clutch housing' is the culprit. The opening for the impeller is worn which is allowing the coolant to weep thru. The hole the impeller shaft passes thu is kinda oval and not round anymore. Although the seals are both working to keep the coolant from mixing with the oil.... So now, as luck has it, there are no clutch housings in Canada....and no clutch housings in the USA.
Now for the confusing part. BMW Canada is telling my shop that BMW is currently redesigning the clutch housing due to a fault (design flaw?) and they don't have a projected date of completion. Really? Fuck me!!! However, BMW North America is saying that BMW Germany is showing they have 7 clutch housings available. Huh???
Not sure at this point if I should just order thru the states and take my chances the part can be shipped and delivered within the estimated 2-3 weeks and hope there isn't some design flaw that will see me going thru this ordeal again. Although I do have 30k mikes on the x-c, so I guess if it goes after the next 30k I could live with that.... but still.

Why is BMW Canada telling me one thing while BMW North America is telling me another?

Has anyone else experienced this....

And is there any reason why the bike would be so hard to shift after servicing the waterpump? I do trust the shop techs that worked on the bike but it sure seems odd that the bike shifted fine when I took it in and then it was so difficult to shift when I picked it up....and it took a few days of riding/shifting to work itself back to normal. Coincidence?
Old 07-26-2013, 08:56 AM   #603
miniboxer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Hi Gsstampeder.

It's a common problem with the clutch. Some guys have put a bushing into the clutch-cover. 'So if you have someone with a lathe who REALLY knows what he is doing - this can be a long lasting solution.

Good luck!
miniboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:11 AM   #604
gsstampeder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,060
Thx mini...just so I understand better what you are suggesting, are you putting the bushing on the clutch housing opening where the water pump impeller slides thru? Is there enough thickness in the housing to fit a bushing in? Bore the hole bigger to make round again? And then heat the (bronze?) bushing to fit new opening then machine to correct diameter for impeller to fit back thru?
Sorry if these are ridiculously stupid questions....I just want my bike back

gsstampeder screwed with this post 07-26-2013 at 02:21 PM
gsstampeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:43 PM   #605
Square1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
We had a similar problem with a shift mechanism on a car.
Our welder could weld the housing and re-drilled the hole.
Worth checking around if that material the clutch housing is made of is weldable.

M
Square1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:47 PM   #606
dantroop
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
Hot start??

Quote:
Originally Posted by HH060g View Post
Not sure if anyone has the hot wont start problem still on their G650X's, but after using google to the max, it seems that BMW issued a new decompression lever, Part # 11.31.8.540.965. The new G650GS's are having a rash of the same issues so i guess in May 2012 BMW spit out a new part to solve the problem. Now the question is, since these are basically the same motors and my bike is having the same symptoms as the 2011/2012 bikes, would the solution BMW conjured up for the GS work on my X?
Just experienced the hot start issue. Not the first time. It has been about 3 weeks since I've ridden the bike. Started right up rode a couple of miles to the the bank and no go. Waited a couple of minutes.... Tried again. I must have been a little anxious because I was on my way to have a few beers with a friend. Anyway drained the batt. Got home and read through all 41 pages of this thread.

Was trying to find the voltage regulator output. Called the BMW shop and told him what was happening. He mentioned the decompression lever. You may be onto something. Probably be $300 to fix. So now the question is do I just keep it on the tender or cut loose with the cash???? But then again if the regulator isn't putting out the correct voltage then that could be the underlying issue. Battery not charging properly then go to start you know the rest. Scheduled to take it in middle of next month.
dantroop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:46 AM   #607
JuanCo
n00b

Oddometer: 2
G650X wiring diagram?

Hi fellow G650Xers first time posting I to got x issues I'm a race car fuel injection expert I have all the tools and know how to fix my problems but I've been looking for wiring diagrams. anybody out there has some or seeing some. I could just pin out and trace everything and draw up my own but that's a lot of work, any leads would help. P.S. i already bought the repair CD and it didn't contain wiring diagrams.
JuanCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:25 PM   #608
Square1
Gnarly Adventurer

Wiring Diagram

Only thing I found is this:

http://www.swartzwelder.net/public/G650XWD/

M
Old 08-03-2013, 01:00 PM   #609
JuanCo
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Thats what i needed thanks alot I'll keep you guys in the loop if i find my gremlins
JuanCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:04 PM   #610
dantroop
Gnarly Adventurer

wiring diagram

Having just recently expierenced the hot start issue, I recently downloaded those files. I have translated (thanks Google translation)
the information. The first page (ex. 1a) is the diagram the next page (ex. 1b) lists the numbered part. If anyone is interested pm me your e-mail and I'll send you the description pages. It's 12 pages long. Doubt I can send to you in a PM Here is a short rundown.
1a. Title: G 650 Xchallenge K15 ABS
2a. Title: G 650 Xchallenge engine electronics
3a. Title: G 650 Xchallenge K15 Starter/generator/diagnostic connector
4a. Title: G 650 Xchallenge K15 Lights/horn/combination instrument w/ABS
5a. Title: G 650 Xchallenge K15 Lights/horn/combination instrument w/o ABS
6a. Title: G 650 Xchallenge K15 Plus- Mass distribution/fuse/w/ABS
7a. Title: G 650 Xchallenge K15 Plus- Mass distribution/fuse/ w/o ABS

Wire color: From a VW wiring source. Supposed to be a German standard ???
bl blue
br brown
ge Yellow
gn green
ro red
sw black
li violet
ws white
rt (I assume its red didn't find it listed.)

dantroop screwed with this post 08-06-2013 at 01:26 PM Reason: too many pages to send in PM?
Old 08-05-2013, 10:31 PM   #611
Square1
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantroop View Post
Having just recently expierenced the hot start issue, I recently downloaded those files. I have translated (thanks Google translation)
the information. The first page (ex. 1a) is the diagram the next page (ex. 1b) lists the numbered part. If anyone is interested pm me and I'll send you the description pages. Here is a short rundown.
1a. Title: G 650 Xchallenge K15 ABS
2a. Title: G 650 Xchallenge engine electronics
3a. Title: G 650 Xchallenge K15 Starter/generator/diagnostic connector
4a. Title: G 650 Xchallenge K15 Lights/horn/combination instrument w/ABS
5a. Title: G 650 Xchallenge K15 Lights/horn/combination instrument w/o ABS
6a. Title: G 650 Xchallenge K15 Plus- Mass distribution/fuse/w/ABS
7a. Title: G 650 Xchallenge K15 Plus- Mass distribution/fuse/ w/o ABS

Wire color: From a VW wiring source. Supposed to be a German standard ???
bl blue
br brown
ge Yellow
gn green
ro red
sw black
li violet
ws white
rt (I assume its red didn't find it listed.)
Can you share the link where you downloaded it from.

What does it address, the compression lever or Temp sensor?

Translation of the colors is correct ! ( Red / Rot / rt)

M
Old 08-05-2013, 10:48 PM   #612
dantroop
Gnarly Adventurer

It's the link you posted. Sorry for the confusion. I experienced the hot start issue. Wanted to check the charging system so needed the wiring diagram.

As far as the hot start issue goes I've read about a new part (decompression something) but haven't persued that yet.

The Last time the hot start issue reared its head I rode about 14 freeway miles , stopped for two minutes went to start the bike up and nothing! The battery drained in two attempts to start. so that's why I thought to check battery and charging system.

Heading to dealer tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-06-2013, 10:44 PM   #613
Square1
Gnarly Adventurer

Hot start issue

Got it!

Don't count out the battery!

So far there are three theories on the hot start issue.

- Decompression lever, apparently is or will be redesigned

- Coolant temperature sensor

- Voltage regulator

So far no definite answer only individual results.

The dealer should read any fault codes and see if a software upgrade is available

M
Old 08-06-2013, 11:42 PM   #614
dantroop
Gnarly Adventurer

At dealer today. Checked battery. Needs to be replaced. From what I was told the BMW bulletin says that the hot start / decomp lever can lead to battery failure. Taking it in next week to have the work done. We'll see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-06-2013, 11:52 PM   #615
Square1
Gnarly Adventurer

[QUOTE=dantroop;22045310]At dealer today. Checked battery. Needs to be replaced. From what I was told the BMW bulletin says that the hot start / decomp lever can lead to battery failure. Taking it in next week to have the work done.

Interesting!
Please keep us up to date.

Good luck

M