User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2009, 03:02 PM   #1
zaphoid OP
At the Space Bar.

Oddometer: 125
Wandering around PA, NY, WV and a bit in OH

Being one of the many people in Metro Detroit that is not going to get paid for a few weeks, I thought I would spend some of that unemployment money on a little ride.

Pennsylvania here I come. Took I 80 into PA being chased by the big green rain monster. Stayed the night some where and the next morning started the adventure.

This is PA 144, heading into Renovo. I like it when the trees come together over the top of the road. I like it when I can stop the bike in the middle of the road and no one is around.

From Renovo I went west on PA120. Very nice, but no place to stop and take a picture. I went north on PA 948 and took US 6 into Warren. Headed east on PA 59.

Took this road to the south. Very nice, but the speed limit is 35 mph. Not that I saw anyone checking my speed. I did not visit Jakes Rocks, which I regret. Maybe next time.

As the big green monster wanted to make another appearance, I kept heading east, passing Austin. I really wanted to see the Austin dam. Dam, maybe next time. Took US 6 east.

This is Colton Point. Supposedly this is the Grand Canyon of PA. Whatever.

I found my self on a mud road. Which was lots of fun.

Went south on PA 287 to PA 414.

PA 414 is a road with a personality disorder. It was very bumpy at first. Then it got narrow. Then is went over a bridge and hugged this cliff. Then it got smaller. Nice road, take your medication and call me in the morning.

Decided it was time to sleep. Maybe the big green monster will pass by in the night. Stayed at a inexpensive place with a red roof. They must have paid a lot for that roof. The employees of this place were feeding wild cats.

Pro... No mice
Con...Room smelled of cat
Pro... Great place to open Tia food restaurant
Con...Cats humping outside of room at night
Con...Cats humping on my bike out side of room at night

Back on I 80 east for a bit more. Took US 209 north. US 209 is nice, but the speed limit is low 45 mph I think. Lots of people looking at the scenery.
Crossed into New York at Port Jervis.

Took NY97 out of Port Jervis. There are only a few miles that look like this.

Lots of places to go white water rafting. I did not hang around long, went back down US 209, back onto I 80 and go towards PA 125 south of Shamokin.

PA 125 south of Shamokin. One of the best roads I have been on so far. Tight twists, straights, elevation changes and hillbillies.

After spending the night again, I took I 76 back into Ohio, where I have a free place to sleep and eat. Later I add some picks of West Virgina.

I would like to thank the many people who have come before me for posting about great roads and their favorite places to ride. I used the regional forums to guide myself in creating this route.

zaphoid screwed with this post 07-20-2009 at 03:08 PM
zaphoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 03:19 PM   #2
zaphoid OP
At the Space Bar.

More....This is the ride in West Virgina.

When I went, I took US 33 to WV 16. WV 16 south to US 60. This water fall park was somewhere around there.

There is a hot girl in this picture, but by she might be hard see.

US 60 to WV 41 into Beckley and then US 19 to the bridge. Just over the bridge, hit the visitor center.

Then WV 82 back over the river to WV 16. There were rocks on WV 82. Big rocks that could turn a wheel.

WV 16 back to US 60. Around here, was a gas station with a view.

From there WV 16 north, back to US 33.

I went back to Ohio from there. Visited one place on Ohio.

This is Buckeye Furnace, a civil war era blast furnace. The upper wood structure houses a steam engine that compressed the air. Charcoal, limestone and iron ore are tossed into the stone structure. The lower section is where the molten metal would be pored into crude sand molds. The wheel looking thing had something to do with removing the slag.

I guess that charcoal was used rather than coal because of the impurities that coal would introduce.

State of the are, high tech for its day I bet.

Must have been a nasty place to live and work.

Hung around getting free food and board at Mom's place for a while then went back home to Michigan. Two weeks and 2500 miles of touring around. Only rode in the rain twice.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:23 PM   #3
gsweave
Yinz, blinkers are on.

Oddometer: 11,342
Nice!

Shoulda called.
1Paul 2:15
For it is God's will that by doing good you should silence the ignorant talk of foolish men. 16 Live as free men, but do not use your freedom as a cover-up for evil;... .
gsweave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 04:35 PM   #4
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,854
Nice wanderings! thanks for sharing your ride
Old 07-20-2009, 06:13 PM   #5
E-man
4-4-09, 12-6-09, 1-13-10

Oddometer: 9,297
E.O.W. 12-06-09 Officer Crawshaw
E.O.W. 10-12-11 Derek Kotecki
E-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 07:05 PM   #6
flyingz06
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
i was just there in WV. What a cool place. I wanna take my Z06 and my Ducati 1098 next time
flyingz06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 07:46 PM   #7
zaphoid OP
At the Space Bar.

Yes indeed, I forgot to say what a joy West Virgina roads are. Good condition without pot holes. Always a mountain to go up, down and around. Good signs that give you a heads up for the speed of the curve. What a great state for "enthusiasts."
Old 09-11-2009, 05:12 PM   #8
zaphoid OP
At the Space Bar.

To bad I did not pick a better thread title. I wish to add my wanderings in Indiana.

I was not sure what to expect in IN, but I liked what I got.

Start of the trip.

Went to one of my favorite places in Ohio

Spent some time with family. Got a late start on Monday morning. Went into Indiana and rode US52 up to IN229. Took IN229 down to Oldenburg for lunch. IN229 was a hoot.

I don't know what to say about lunch. I enjoyed it, then again KFC is nearly the same and costs less. But KFC it is a chain restaurant, which supposedly ADVers don't do. Meh.

Pushed south on IN129, then took IN62/250 into Madison. Nice road, no pics, light rain off and on.

Then pushed south on IN62 to Charlestown.

From there I went on IN160 to Salem. There was some very good stuff on that road.

Here, I had planned to go south, make my way to Corydon. But I was pressed for time and did not like the skies to the south.

Took IN56 to Paoli. This will cut the lower half off my trip. Bummed about that.

Looking east:

Looking west:

Took US150 to Shoals.

Then picked up IN450 to Bedford. Fantastic. Worth the trip. Some roads are better than others and this was great fun.

From Bedford, east on US50 until IN135.

IN135 was a thriller. Good stuff. All the way to Nashville. The kind of road that would be good for a helmet cam.

It was dark and raining when I was done. Spent the night in Columbus. Rode straight up I65 Tuesday morning. Lots and lots of rain. Had to get home, work day Wednesday. Riding in the rain is only fun when it is over.

It is good to be back home. And I get to add another state to my map.

zaphoid screwed with this post 08-09-2010 at 05:28 PM