Oddometer: 37
Great pics and ride report.
Bobby30223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 06:14 AM   #33
Greenflyfarmer OP
I'm better now.

Oddometer: 1,740
Thumb

Living in Mesa Verde was great. Good showers and laundry facilites, camp store (sells beer), and a cafe (can't comment). However, time to head north. Cortez, Doloris, asphalt turned to dirt. Low rolling hills with free range cattle. I learned out here what free range means. It means threading your way through cattle often.

This route runs north into the mountians, the rivers are flush and rolling. Ranches and homes deeper in the mountians are a little tidier here some how. Gradually I work my way up higher into an area called the Cimarron in the Uncompahgre National Forest. Basically I was riding north on the west side of the mountians from Ophir, Telluride, out of Cortez to Norwood, then on to Montross via dirt.
greenflyfarmer > When Pigs Fly Solo Tour 09 photo

Making a little lunch in a pretty place. My only timer attempt.

I got to this area on Sunday afternoon and near the entrance to the dirt, trucks with 4 wheelers boiled out of here for awhile. Good I thought, I'd have the place to myself, and what a place it is! I saw my first moose, a cow and calf. They are huge and ran along beside me in a field along the Cimarron river. I am given to understand that these are Shiras moose, the smallest of moose. They looked pretty damn big to this Virginia boy. Boy I'd love to have one on my meat pole! They looked very tasty.

I found a big open meadow surrounded by aspens, backed by pines then soaring cliffs above. Two track that was mildly athletic enough to tamp down traffic reached the area.

I made a nice camp, started a fire in the fire ring and settled in.

Greenflyfarmer screwed with this post 07-26-2009 at 11:25 AM
Greenflyfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 10:10 AM   #34
Greenflyfarmer OP
I'm better now.

Living in Colorado, Wild Life, the cold, musings.

It's cold at night and I wake up to coyotes howling in the middle of the night. I'll grow used to that in Colorado, maybe two or three times in a day. I'll have a close encounter in day or two. It's common to see mule deer in this area, I won't see ElK for sure until Idaho.
Daily kamkazi ground squirls, chipmunks and I don't know what all sprints across these dirt roads. They run in ones and in pairs, sometimes on a road whole communities of skittering rodents make the attempt to die beneith my machine. I've seen a couple of eagles I think and other large birds of prey. Once a falcon, I think, flew through my camp. It mise (might as) well, deer are regulars to float through the edge of my living space.

To save space I only brought a 40 degree sleeping bag and often the temps seem colder than that. I grow used to putting on thermal underware as the shadows grow long, fleece top. In Richmond it's hot an humid in the summers, not here at night. I'll lay abed in the mornings until the sun is warming things up and it gets warm fast, but without sun it's cold. On cold nights I also use a yard of fleece blanket. I've slept very well, snug and warm.

I only built two fires, it's a hassel after a long day in the saddle. The times I did, a ring and wood was close at hand, fire was easy.

I eat two meals a day in general. Sometimes one and over the course of the trip lose 12 to 15 pounds. Sometimes it's motofever and I won't stop, but I've just not thought about food much.
Often an evening meal is just a chance to feel warm before bed.

Generally I want 4 liters of water to make camp. I fill up old soda bottles at the last stop, they did fine until late in the trip. Covered in dust daily, I have to wash and get used to taking a drip bath from a bottle if a river isn't around. Showers at camps and hotels every few days catch me up. I try to shave regularly. JamieZ recommends this practice in general to help with the public. I think he's right. Being groomed may have helped me get a few extra meals from generous families in campgrounds.

Old 07-26-2009, 10:32 AM   #35
Greenflyfarmer OP
I'm better now.

Riding out of the Cimarron I pass a ranch called Cimarron. It has land on both sides of the road for 7 miles. Imagine the hunting and fishing opportunities in there!

Goal today is to make Taylor Park and camp. Tires, hopefully the young twinky at the parts counter at the Gunnison shop has my order. Look. If I call weeks in advance to order tires from VA and then I have a problem spending money with you, it's not an open question about who failed is it? I've been lucky with mud, it's infrequent and short. In a few of the really short but muddy sections my worn scorps have been interesting at least.

I get to Taylor Park and set up camp. I've learned now that I need to figure out the prevailing wind and camp on the front edge of those woods, where the bugs are blown deeper into the forest. I do need trees for my rig but too close to open country and I get blown around too much. The camp in Taylor was great, perfect.

Yup, I'll live here a couple of days. The first morning I make coffee and take a walk.
I see three coyotes working their way across the valley to a bridge over the river. I move down to the trees closest to watch. One balks on the bridge and comes my way. When he is just across the road, I follow him. Stepping out from behind the trees causes him a big surprise, he ain't happy about it.

The tires are in at Gunnison. The twinky has a little problem with arrogance and is not old enough, well mature enough to take responsibility. It still might be my fault. Who knew. This time he has no record of half payment, hummm.
The shop guys are great, quick, helpful, want to talk riding. Everyone else is good too.
Twinky excepted.

Greenflyfarmer screwed with this post 07-26-2009 at 10:56 AM
Old 07-26-2009, 11:09 AM   #36
2laneblacktop
Tarmac

Oddometer: 3,052
Great Report,...

2laneblacktop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 12:46 PM   #37
Greenflyfarmer OP
I'm better now.

Rode through Cottonwood pass to Buena Vista then to Leadville. Near Leadville dark clouds moved in. I don't know anything about Mosquito Pass but try to find it. Above town behind old mine property, I wind up on a tight, rocky, steep down hill. I finally can't see around a dog leg and decide I better get turned around and get out. I think that the pass might have still been snowed in at that time. I didn't see any signs and really don't know where I was. Retire to really good ribs at a booth in Buena Vista. Tough looking but pretty girl serving. We talked about my trip some. Slumpy teens with skate boards, smoke cigarettes, share my table. Eye the girl. Act confused when I talk with them. They leave and I ask them to write when they get work. That got a weird look. I should have said text I guess. The clouds move in and I head off to Taylor Park.

Greenflyfarmer screwed with this post 07-26-2009 at 01:31 PM
Old 07-26-2009, 01:57 PM   #38
Greenflyfarmer OP
I'm better now.

Leave Taylor Park in the morning. Pass through Crested Butte and check on my friends there. Ride through Keebler Pass and I think this picture is from there. I do know that Keebler is beautiful. Finish at Paonia State Park. I've had a map that the dutch couple gave me. A guy at this campgound gave it to them as well as beer. They thought that I might be able to return it but I walked around the campground looking for someone to talk to about it, but no one was there so I ride on.

Head north on pavement to Glenwood Springs. The road is pavement and at New Castle I hope to pick up dirt to Meeker. This road is ok but I hate leaving the mountians. As the day wears on I start looking for camping but it's getting close to the fourth of July and there isn't much. Dusty campgounds, powder dust, I keep moving up then down a pretty river. Getting closer to civilization, more people, more cars. Discordant and irritating after being alone and in quiet places. I take the last place and it's the worst camp of the trip. Resigned to my fate, I string up my rig, wash up, listen to am radio, sip whisky. Warmer here, I pine briefly for Taylor Park and go to bed. It's funny, as long as I'm in beautiful places or riding hard on dirt, happy, I don't miss my family and friends. Only when the riding and lodging are poor do I really miss them.

Greenflyfarmer screwed with this post 07-26-2009 at 07:52 PM
Old 07-26-2009, 06:33 PM   #39
Greenflyfarmer OP
I'm better now.

Leave the dread campground early. I've decided that tight quarters and filth are much worse than spacious quarters and filth. I resolve that if I ever build the Greenflyfarmer Self Service Motorcycle Campground that I'd have plenty of room in the bathhouse and bathroom. Filth close is MUCH worse than filth way over there. MUCH. It's a mistake to camp where people are living and going to work daily. Big mistake. I'll be able to spot them now but won't need to.

Buy gas at a farm co-op. A young cowboy is chatting up the all american, very pretty ranchy looking girl running the counter. They could be a post card. Finally on dirt and my mood lightens. It's not much but better.

I make Meeker and pick up pavement going northwest. Lonely road, lonely high desert. Ride and ride. Finally I see a bad storm ahead, scary lightning, black black.
There is no hiding place out here, nearly in Wyoming or Utah. Running out of gas and the GPS and the sign agree, gas ahead. I'll gas up and then double back and go north, Irish Canyon. Miss the storm too, it's clear that way.

I find the RV place. What, a couple of pumps and a trailer store. Hanging baskets of flowers on the porch, humming birds in squeeky combat. I buy gas with maybe 76 octane. Ok, 77. Wind is blowing, gusting off the wall o' black. The lady in the store could have been a sunday school teacher from a country church. One where the preacher comes every 3rd and 5th sunday. After the song service and the plate is passed. She has priced every single item in that store by hand. I have a cold drink and she talks all about Irish Canyon.

I'm just north of the dinosaur park and she points to hills in the distant south. "I doubt there are five ranches up that way" she says about the ride though Irish Canyon into Wyoming. Apparently the 77 octane gas will have to do. I say my yes ma'ams and thank you kindlys, being my best Virginia gentleman, praising the chill in the cold drink. I head back and north on the short cut she tells me about.

I find Irish Canyon right where she said it was. See the blue sky?

Petroglyphs.

The canyon.

It's over too quick.

Cross into Wyoming on pavement. Later, more dirt. See the lowering clouds?

After the border the wall o' black wraps around me. The gauze of rain now on all sides. Know how sunglasses show up rain better? I bet you could see this rain behind a welding hood.

The bike tilted crazily left in the wind. The lightning was begining to scare me, no where to hide.

Greenflyfarmer screwed with this post 07-26-2009 at 08:58 PM
Old 07-26-2009, 07:44 PM   #40
Greenflyfarmer OP
I'm better now.

I suit up, put on a face shield. I hate a face shield, I feel sweaty, humid. I don't use them unless I'm gonna die being struck by lightning. Well, if it's raining too. The wall o' black was threatening to do me bodily harm though. I prayed. I rode slowly, talking to my maker, a big dually passed me and disappeared into the wall o' black. Then a thing happened.
I had rain on the left and rain on the right, I rode on wet pavement, steam rising up, but dry.
Thanks Lord.

I make it to Rock Springs. This is not a place you go to for vacation, you just wind up here and aren't happy about it. I find the Motel 6, bikes in the parking lot. More pull in as I wait my turn. Harleys, thump in.

I'm in armor, they are in leather. I get looks. Only in the biking world can a chick with a thousand dollars of tattoos, multiple rings and bolts protruding from places visible and invisible, look at me and think that I look weird.

Greenflyfarmer screwed with this post 07-26-2009 at 08:00 PM
Old 07-27-2009, 03:47 AM   #41
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Oddometer: 2,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenflyfarmer
I'm in armor, they are in leather. I get looks. Only in the biking world can a chick with a thousand dollars of tattoos, multiple rings and bolts protruding from places visible and invisible, look at me and think that I look weird.
Love it! Keep it coming...

John
Old 07-27-2009, 10:03 AM   #42
SRMN8R
Down & Out

Oddometer: 2,984
Quote:
More quotable quotes from Greenflyfarmer!

Awesome Karl!
SRMN8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 10:09 AM   #43
Greenflyfarmer OP
I'm better now.

Actually I'm running a sale on signatures. For 99 cents a month, you can add that one and be cool as a middle aged short man can be.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:11 AM   #44
SRMN8R
Down & Out

Oddometer: 2,984
Quote:
Actually I'm running a sale on signatures. For 99 cents a month, you can add that one and be cool as a middle aged short man can be.

It may take more than that for this middle aged tall fat guy to be cool though.
SRMN8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 10:21 AM   #45
onaXR
Druid

Oddometer: 2,092
havin fun?
I should have followed ya.