Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2009, 05:59 PM   #61
Greenflyfarmer OP
I'm better now.

Oddometer: 1,747
I'm confused about where the dirt is but know I have to gas up and buy beer and food for tonight's camp. Follow the Zumo to gas and buy over priced Guiness and an expensive sandwich. But this is a resort town. Another patron smiles as he enters and says that I have an admirer looking at my bike. The man outside is a rider, on a KTM 990 and he's an inmate. MAXVERT. He's the man!

He saw my bike and likely would have stopped anyway, but the ADV sticker on the bike was the ticket here.
We chat and decide quicky to go to his house in nearby Ketchum. He'll show me the dirt I want, hell, he'll suit up and ride it with me. In fact he'll build me a route through Yellow Pine to Hells Canyon. Then he'll build me a route to the Lolo Trail. Fat city.

After downloading the data to the Zumo he gets his gear on and wheels his 950 Enduro out the door. We take off.

greenflyfarmer > When Pigs Fly Solo Tour 09 photo

Have I said yet that it's an evil beastie?

Greenflyfarmer screwed with this post 08-12-2009 at 07:12 PM
Greenflyfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 06:26 PM   #62
Greenflyfarmer OP
I'm better now.

We hit the dirt very near his beautiful house and he takes off. He wants to check out his suspension and is trying to set his sag. As we ride I can see that this is going to be a ride, not rubber necking, tourister riding that I have been doing today. I catch up to him and I'm eating dirt. I get a little too close to the evil bike and it throws a rock right through my head light and turn signal lens. We make the top and meet a threesome of KTM dirt riders, Dad, Mom and their 16 year old son.

After some talk and joking around MAXVERT tells me that we mise well go back to his place because he had my headlight in his shop.

Plus, if we are going back we mise well get a Burger at Grumpy's, "you haven't eaten lunch yet today have you?"

Did I tell you that he was born in Richmond VA and grew up in Middletown?

Greenflyfarmer screwed with this post 07-30-2009 at 03:49 AM
Old 07-29-2009, 06:38 PM   #63
Greenflyfarmer OP
I'm better now.

Grumpy's is a local institution and a damn good burger place. They serve excellent beer in monster glasses that you could use for a goldfish bowl. Eat, drink and be merry! The dear lady of the house joins us and is amused about the whole turn of events.

After the late lunch and one more beer we head back to their house. I'm offered the chance to do an oil change, which I do. How nice and generous. It's been 4000 miles and it was needed. MAXVERT has oil. He has tools. He has 80k on KTM twins. I've read some of his posts and before I know it, I'm going to be washing up, going to a 4th of July fire works show that Bruce Willis puts on for the locals and I'm spending the night.
We'll ride tomorrow.

Greenflyfarmer screwed with this post 07-29-2009 at 06:53 PM
Old 07-29-2009, 07:00 PM   #64
Greenflyfarmer OP
I'm better now.

This couple have traveled the world on bikes but they started out with a trip to Nepal in their salad days. Back packs, bus rides, trains the whole bit. They toured through Europe, Russia, China by bike. South of the border, I can't remember where all they have gone. Skiers, champion competitive pilot in hang gliders, single track biker, pedal biker. Just the handy man to run into if you have a headlight that needs breaking.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:06 PM   #65
SRMN8R
Down & Out

Oddometer: 2,987
Very cool.

I wonder what the odds are that you'd run into a "local boy" way out west?

I'm really enjoying the RR Karl. My wife sat down with me and looked at all of the pics.

When she got up to leave the office, she turned and said "You want to go don't you?". "Yeah. I've wanted to go for years. It's going to happen. I'm taking my boy out there when he graduates."

That's the plan. 6-8 weeks between graduating HS, and his first year of college. (If all goes well, VMI) Just me and my boy. When we finish the trip, I will have told him everything I know about being a man. When we finish the trip, he will be a man. It will be his right of passage. It will be my chance to say goodbye to my little boy.

Thanks for inspiring.
SRMN8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 11:53 AM   #66
H14
I Gotta Go!

Oddometer: 4,276
GFF,

What camera did you use on your trip? I know it aint all camera but those are some beautiful shots.
2012 Riding the Continental Divide
H14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 12:12 PM   #67
dopra
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
Very good pics, I'm impressed by mountains and roads
dopra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 02:08 PM   #68
Greenflyfarmer OP
I'm better now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h14xl
GFF,

What camera did you use on your trip? I know it aint all camera but those are some beautiful shots.
Thanks for the comments on the pictures. The camera is a Kodak that I bought at Walmart. I push the button. Sometimes I get fancy and take a breath then let it out slow then squeeze. The biggest technique I use is that I don't post the crappy pics.

Old 07-30-2009, 05:10 PM   #69
SRMN8R
Down & Out

Oddometer: 2,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenflyfarmer
Thanks for the comments on the pictures. The camera is a Kodak that I bought at Walmart. I push the button. Sometimes I get fancy and take a breath then let it out slow then squeeze....

SRMN8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 06:52 PM   #70
Greenflyfarmer OP
I'm better now.

I take my new best friends out to breakfast at a local joint. MAXVERT tells the story about how they were sitting right in that room and The Shack walks in wearing a white mink coat and filled up one of the rickety chairs there. I had a nice time, hope they did.

Feed this man a burger and a couple of pancakes and he'll insist on giving you headlights and oil changes. He says pay it forward.

Greenflyfarmer screwed with this post 07-30-2009 at 07:00 PM
Old 07-30-2009, 07:15 PM   #71
Greenflyfarmer OP
I'm better now.

After breakfast we hit the road.

Great country here in south central Idaho. Ponderosa Pine, rivers, dirt roads, Hot springs.

I learn that the big piles of rocks I see in the rivers is gold dredge material. Dredgers damed up sections of river, ran the dredge upstream and dumped the river rock on the side of the river. I would have taken some pictures of this great country but we were moving along.

Atlanta.

We ride a lot of fast dirt then pick up a wonderful twisty piece of pavement east of Boise, to Lowman. Gas up and say good by, MAXVERT heads east and I ride north to Yellow Pine.

Greenflyfarmer screwed with this post 07-30-2009 at 07:29 PM
Old 07-30-2009, 07:36 PM   #72
Greenflyfarmer OP
I'm better now.

Why Yellow pine? It's in the middle of no where on the western edge of the Frank Church River of No Return wilderness area so it had my vote.
Thinking about this trip, I had Idaho pinned to the wall above my desk at work off and on for a few months and I kept looking at Yellow Pine. I planned to ride there from the south and then take one of two choices west or north. No more thought and effort than looking at the Idaho road map.

I'm on the pegs and rolling along pretty fast. I'm taking more pictures now and having a super ride. I blast into Yellow Pine.

Small town of 40, I ride up to the store and pull off my helmet. Some guys are sitting around on the porch drinking beer. Boy, a beer looks good to me right now and I head in to buy one. I'm just going to pass through yellow Pine like so many small towns on this ride. The store has beer, bottles, one beer for $3.50, a six pack for $7.00. I buy the 6 pack and hand out a few to guys on the porch. I can't carry bottles easily and why not? I soon find out that the bridge is out, that is the western route. The men on the porch soon ask around and we learn that north pass road is under snow. My only way out is back and I need gas now. No gas station but the store sells gas in 5 gallon jugs, one gallon jugs are out just now. I drink another beer.

Greenflyfarmer screwed with this post 07-31-2009 at 09:24 AM
Old 07-31-2009, 09:14 AM   #73
prometheus rising
Ghost In The Machine

Oddometer: 705
Outstanding ! Great pics, writing and Adventure !
prometheus rising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 01:12 PM   #74
Greenflyfarmer OP
I'm better now.

Have you ever been in one of those little places that just feel like the center of the world?

I first met Carl and I can remember his name because that's my name. He spells it wrong but he's a good guy. He is a wildlife biologist for the Nez Perce, he built a fish weir there in Yellow Pine and he has been keeping track of the Salmon there for 10 years. Now luckily I had read about the tension between the old farmers that want to irrigate, the fish and wild life people, the indians, the debate over the dams and the fish, their survival and knew enough to carry on a conversation.

Please make note of the golf clubs in the background.

The big fish trap Carl runs. It's 800 miles up stream from the ocean. I think the fish have a chip in them and a bead on their mouth and Carl can decern a number of things about them. All of this is kept in a data base.

Now I saw the fish weir and the sign that says Keep Off! and early in the conversation I joke, "is that that big thing in the river?, I climbed back and forth on that big thing." The porch erupts in laughter. Carl is a good guy and knows I'm joking. The rest of the day and the evening would be like that, one good laugh after another. Now I should say that there was plenty of time and inclination for genuine, personal conversation. The people I met at Yellow Pine are good, warm people.

Now this young lady works at the store. Her baby is fresh. Aren't they pretty?

Ain't that a cute picture. I emailed it back to the store a couple of days after I got back, the porch considered it a super photo and encouraged me to send it back. The porch also told some stories about this sweet young mother's legendary ability to kick your ass. Much laughter and obvious respect for her fighting ability. Being a student of aggression in humans, I paid rapt attention. This might be my favorite picture of the trip.

This guy is a good guy and I can't remember his name, however, I'd just about guarandamntee that if I lived in Yellow Pine or frequented it, we'd be friends. Know how you can just tell someone is salt of the earth and would do anything to help you? Here's your man.

Now of course, every porch of this nature needs a philosopher, a thinker, the man of weight and considered opinion to bring the conversation back to earth. This ain't him.

But he's a happy go lucky guy and I had plenty of laughs listening to his banter.
He is a hell of a cook in the hunt camp style, an enthusiastic story teller, and I like him. I seriously question his choice of beverage and expressed my concern for his welfare, drinking that herbal swill as he was, but there is no accounting for taste sometimes.

At this point they are talking about the big 4th of July party they had last night, and the big annual Yellow Pine Golf tournament. I was into my third beer at this point and realizing that I was not leaving the area. They encouraged me to make camp then we would all meet at the local tavern. I could camp on the river or the golf course, my choice.
Little did I realize when I roared into town that I would be sleeping on the 8th green of a golf course. Don't tell the greens keeper.

Greenflyfarmer screwed with this post 08-13-2009 at 06:43 PM
Old 07-31-2009, 07:31 PM   #75
Greenflyfarmer OP
I'm better now.

I made camp, dinner and took a biker's bath. I found Yellow Pine at the the tavern.

Again and again on this trip I found people treating me like family. We had a couple of beers, then the boys from the porch took me to
Carl's camp and fed me dinner. They all help Carl with the fish. They patched waders, talked typical guy mess, entered data in the computer, woke the neighbors and then we all went to our respective camp. Everyone survived the night.

Carl counting fish. He got 21. The surge is over and going down hill.

Other pics of Yellow Pine. A memorial to fire fighters that died in the extensive fires near the town.

A couple of years ago lightning started huge fires. It was scary, the town had to be evacuated, the boys talked about that time. Uniformly westerners saw fires as a force of nature. They would point to the Ponderosa and say, "look they are just scorched."

Greenflyfarmer screwed with this post 07-31-2009 at 07:44 PM