Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2009, 01:21 PM   #76
Davis W OP
exo² The Heat Inside

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmfleet2
Hi
i am looking to get the Strom sheild gloves,,not sure what heat control i need.
Also the web site says the gloves will not be here until 1-10-10?????
You can either direct connect the StormShield Gloves to the power unit’s battery via the supplied (free of charge) fused cable for ‘full’ heat all the time or you can purchase the StormRider Controller which will give you 9 levels of heat to choose from.

The January 10, 2010 delivery notation relates to the new SnowStorm Heated Ski Gloves. These gloves operate with portable lithium-ion batteries and are intended to be used by skiers and other outdoor enthusiasts. They will actually be added to our website later this month. The StormShield Gloves are available now.

Davis
Old 12-04-2009, 07:27 AM   #77
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,893
Well, phooey.

Looks like I'm going to be getting another season out of my Gerbing setup.

I'll be interested when you guys get the jacket with the heated sleeves in production.

Thanks for the candor and information.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:27 AM   #78
rwp2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis W
The new, smaller and multifunctional controller (which can be used on and off the bike) is scheduled for delivery in fall 2010. Limited quantities for testing will be made available to certain groups in advance. I will give you updates as I have them.

Davis

I'd be happy to test one!!!
rwp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 05:36 AM   #79
Davis W OP
exo² The Heat Inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwp2
I'd be happy to test one!!!
You and me both! I'll put in a good word for both of us!

Davis
Old 12-08-2009, 06:33 AM   #80
thetable
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,255
As much as I would like to test one, my Stormrider vest seems to regulate heat well enough that it wouldn't be used much.
thetable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:02 AM   #81
Davis W OP
exo² The Heat Inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetable
As much as I would like to test one, my Stormrider vest seems to regulate heat well enough that it wouldn't be used much.
Excellent point and glad that you are enjoying your jacket!

Because FabRoc™ use Positive Temperature Coefficient (PTC) technology. PTC means that as the temperature of the FabRoc™ heat technology increases, its electrical resistance also increases in a non-linear fashion. Once the material reaches the desired temperature, it self-regulates by drawing less electrical current until power is again required. It will never overheat and stays at a very consistent temperature.

Davis

Davis W screwed with this post 12-08-2009 at 10:30 AM
Davis W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 09:06 AM   #82
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis W
Excellent point and glad that you are enjoying your jacket!

Because FabRoc™ use Positive Temperature Coefficient (PTC) technology. PTC means that as the temperature of the FabRoc™ heat technology increases, its electrical resistance also increases in a non-linear fashion. Once the material reaches the desired temperature, it self-regulates by drawing less ele.ctrical current until power is again required. It will never overheat and stays at a very consistent temperature.

Davis

This doesn't make sense to me. Do you mean that as the temperature increases the resistance decreases? If it increased wouldn't it continue to get hotter? Or does this heat in a completely different way than wire based elements? (or is my physics really that rusty?)

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA

Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 06:16 PM   #83
rwp2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
I have no problems with the vest, but when paired with the gloves, the vest gets too hot while the gloves are still barely warm. I solved it today. I bought a Gerbing's double controller and it works great. Too long of a wait for the EXO2 controller.
rwp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 12:17 PM   #84
thetable
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackMule
This doesn't make sense to me. Do you mean that as the temperature increases the resistance decreases? If it increased wouldn't it continue to get hotter? Or does this heat in a completely different way than wire based elements? (or is my physics really that rusty?)
Ohm's law tells us that E = I * R, where E is voltage, I is current and R is resistance.

Since we can assume that the change in voltage is negligible, we can then conlude that I1 * R1 = I2 * R2. As R2 increases, I2 must decrease, or as the resistance increases, the current decreases. Less current means less heat.
thetable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 01:41 PM   #85
Davis W OP
exo² The Heat Inside

thetable,

You beat me to it (not that I could have explained it with an equation). I am stealing some of the technical info from the site here:

"How do the heating components work?"

When the heating element is at room ambient temperature, numerous conductive "chains" exist within the material. When low voltage is applied, current flows through the element, causing a rise in heat. Once the heat rises, it creates a small expansion, causing the conductive particles to move apart from each other. As the resistance of the element increases, the material conducts less current and temperature is regulated.

Old 12-11-2009, 10:23 AM   #86
Motomantra
Registered Lurker

Oddometer: 1,159
Okay, now I'm confused. (Easy to do)
Is the amount of heat being felt adjustable? What if I don't want it to taper off?
Old 12-11-2009, 01:01 PM   #87
Davis W OP
exo² The Heat Inside

The nice thing about Fabroc is that it does level out at a consistent temperature. For a given input voltage the temp will rise to a predefined level and stay there. If it did not level off the temp could rise to uncomfortable levels.

Our TechCenter will give you specific information on the heat temperature of each product that we offer. The bottom line is that the products work and heat extremely reliably and consistently to a temperature that is comfortable for the majority of users. In other words they are feel great. You can purchase an optional controller that will give you the ability to adjust the heat to one of 9 settings ranging from barely on to the full warmth.

Davis
Old 12-11-2009, 01:18 PM   #88
Davis W OP
exo² The Heat Inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwp2
I have no problems with the vest, but when paired with the gloves, the vest gets too hot while the gloves are still barely warm. I solved it today. I bought a Gerbing's double controller and it works great. Too long of a wait for the EXO2 controller.

rwp2,

I'm glad that the controller worked out for you but we would be be interested to learn more of how everything was previously connected as we've not experienced this concern before...Send me a PM when you have a chance and I will turn your findings over to the technical team.

Thanks,
Davis
Old 12-11-2009, 03:29 PM   #89
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,458
Thanks for setting me straight, guys.

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA

Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 11:59 AM   #90
Davis W OP
exo² The Heat Inside

Just want to wish everyone a very Merry Christmas. I hope Santa brings you lots of new gear!

Thanks for all of your support!

Davis