Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2013, 06:54 PM   #271
Casper137
When in doubt Mumble

Oddometer: 75
^^ yes online it does look like they are out of stock.

I posted that link a half hour ago but I guess since I have few posts my URL posts takes a bit to get reviewed by mods.

I just purchased 2 of them from my local princess auto. (Newmarket) for $6.99.
Casper137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:23 AM   #272
TorontoBrit
TorontoBrit

Oddometer: 297
I just bought this one, it plugs directly into the BMW DIN accessory port:

http://www.futurevisionhid.com/produ...er-supply.html

They also have the kind you can wire in. Not the cheapest one around, but the couple I tried to buy from the USA the shipping up to Canada was stupid!!
Old 02-19-2013, 11:07 AM   #273
cchoc
Outdoor Photographer

Oddometer: 203
The BlueSea one is around $26 from Amazon but has two ports and is a lot cleaner looking install, but you do have to drill a hole. I got one for my F800GS and it will fit perfectly in the spare hole to the right of the key.
cchoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:36 PM   #274
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

Oddometer: 15,299
why not one of these and plug a hub into it? ( assuming the hub has enough current capacity to even use 3 amps)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/waterproof-D...item460c85b24e
mouthfulloflake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:54 PM   #275
isaac004
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 675
Not sure if this was posted yet, but these cigarette chargers are really nice, from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-2...dp/B00511PS3C/

They charge much faster then most cigarette lighter chargers. These will charge at the same fast rate of an AC wall charger, and are only $10. Plus you have 2 USB plugs.

I use mine on my BMW F800GS with a Powerlet to cigarette lighter adapter.
isaac004 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:44 PM   #276
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnszilla View Post
I've been selling them for 3 years now at $24. My competitor sells them for $45. I can tell you that my cost is way higher than $4.99. Princess Auto is selling them at a loss. I did not know I was buying the last 300 when I placed my last order. The sales rep told me they were not making them any more.
I'll vouch for him. I bout one several years ago at the price stated. At that time they were not available anywhere else I knew of.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:23 AM   #277
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Oddometer: 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouthfulloflake View Post
why not one of these and plug a hub into it? ( assuming the hub has enough current capacity to even use 3 amps)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/waterproof-D...item460c85b24e
A USB hub, besides not being waterproof, it going to be limited to 300ma total from the USB host, if properly designed.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:37 AM   #278
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

Then buy the female usb connectors and make your own hub.

the waterproofing is not an issue to me, everything I will need to charge will live in the tank bag, or map pocket, so not exposed.

not to mention its 5 volts dc, I would not be surprised if a normal usb cable and connector would operate just fine under water.

Ill do the experiment in a bucket of water, just because I am curious now.

also I ordered this, ill report back how it works, I imagine I will have to short pins 2 and 3 to get my iStuff to charge.
3 amps, 8-40 volts DC in, 5 Vdc 3 amps out, $7.99 shipped

Quote:
Originally Posted by worwig View Post
A USB hub, besides not being waterproof, it going to be limited to 300ma total from the USB host, if properly designed.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:13 AM   #279
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

Hey Worwig,

just did some basic testing here at my desk

a 9 volt battery submerged in a cup of tap water will have approximately a 3mA short.

a 5 volt power supply, has approximately a 1mA short.

I see absolutely no need for a waterproof connection at a USB for charging purposes.

rain water would be less of an issue than submersion, and I think the occasional plugging and unplugging of the usb would keep the connectors clean enough.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:33 PM   #280
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,125
Quote:
Hey Worwig,

a 9 volt battery submerged in a cup of tap water will have approximately a 3mA short.

I see absolutely no need for a waterproof connection at a USB for charging purposes.

rain water would be less of an issue than submersion, and I think the occasional plugging and unplugging of the usb would keep the connectors clean enough.
I had the USB on my ST open and exposed for years with no issue. Low voltage is generally not a probrlem for moisture. Corrosion is a bigger issue, and the USB plug is a bit delicate to side stress.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:22 PM   #281
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Oddometer: 902
Quote:
Hey Worwig,

Brilliant experiment. Go for it. Find a source for cheap connectors though, because they are going to fail.
The problem isn't that it shorts it out. The problem is that even the best made gold contacts are quickly electroplated and destroyed if they get wet and power is applied. Of course they will even corrode some without power, it they get wet.

Trust me, they fail quickly if they get wet. I use a waterproof home made charger with a standard plug attached year round on my daily ride. After destroying the phone end of a half dozen cables, I mounted a downward facing cap that I push the cable end into when not used. Now magically, no more failures.

A lot of cell phones have been destroyed by getting wet for it to be a non-issue..
Old 02-20-2013, 06:41 PM   #282
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

5 of them for $5 shipped from here.

ww.ebay.com/itm/5-X-USB-A-2-0-Jack-Female-plug-Socket-Connector-Computer-Accessories-Plastic-/290849598371?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43b7fcaba3

as I said, inside my tank bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by worwig View Post
Brilliant experiment. Go for it. Find a source for cheap connectors though, because they are going to fail.
The problem isn't that it shorts it out. The problem is that even the best made gold contacts are quickly electroplated and destroyed if they get wet and power is applied. Of course they will even corrode some without power, it they get wet.

Trust me, they fail quickly if they get wet. I use a waterproof home made charger with a standard plug attached year round on my daily ride. After destroying the phone end of a half dozen cables, I mounted a downward facing cap that I push the cable end into when not used. Now magically, no more failures.

A lot of cell phones have been destroyed by getting wet for it to be a non-issue..
Old 02-21-2013, 09:51 AM   #283
bdezz
CuriousDezz

Oddometer: 345
I went the expensive route because I was in a rush before an IB ride across Canada (last June). Got a cig lighter socket plug and wired it to my AP-2 fuse block under the seat. Hung the socket out just below the seat on the left side so I could access it. I use a Belkin double usb socket insert that enables charging two items at once. This was great on the trip for the iPhone and the GoPro, which was all I needed.

Oh, and I attached a short cord to a synthetic wine cork and to the base of the cig lighter socket (around the wire cover to the socket) so that I could plug the socket when not in use. Just pull out the usb insert and plug in the cork. It's a perfect, snug fit. Attached the cord to the cork via a small screw...about 3/4" long. When I was using the usb, there's just enough length on the cord so that I could wedge the cork behind some of the other wires around that area so it wouldn't dangle or blow around.
1972 R75/5 Toaster Tank (gone)
1971 R75/5 (gone)
1987 K100LT (gone)
bdezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 02:47 AM   #284
young1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 589
Is there a link, and if so can you share it, to a USB plug with the "bit" on the end that will fit the plug on the dash of my 990.

By the way what is that power plug called?

Thank you

Michael
young1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:09 AM   #285
Yankee Dog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,866
This will plug into your coax connector. (think heated gear).

http://www.warmnsafe.com/usb-3with-pouch/

Yankee Dog is offline   Reply With Quote