User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2009, 05:46 AM   #1
thetourist OP
Just passing thru

Oddometer: 4,041
The 09 Overdose Ride...Idaho

This ride was instigated by Idarider. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Ladybug was heading a The Triple T (tunnels,trestles,trails) get together in the St Joe Forest in north Idaho. It was gaining momentum when Roy and I started bandying around the idea of a ride thru the St Joe and Clearwater Forests leaving TTT on the last day. The Triple T Overdose Ride, for those who just can't get enough, was born.

I know the St Joe and Roy knows the Clearwater, but we wanted to ride a few roads new to both of us. The route moved to the remote roads of the forests. Then it was too long. Gas was unavailable. The route went thru some machinations and a sweep truck was added. More configurating and we had a basic route.

Snow became a major player. We had a big snowfall this last winter and no prerunning was possible. Some roads were reported closed just days before we left. The weather turned hot and Adventure Riders will not be denied.

White Pine Drive

Finally, I head out for the Joe. At TTT I just vegged and saved my energy. That was a good plan, as I would need all of it to complete our route. Check out Ladybugs thread on the TTT here or in the NW Regionals forum. Lots of people pics.

The Overdose truck arrives Sat night and we have spaghetti for those still hungry. Next morning it's fried spaghetti and cheesy bisquits fresh from the oven of Roys new camp kitchen.

Our last rider arrives and the truck is hastily loaded. Time to hit the road. Pavement for one mile then hang a right into the forest.

I had already checked with PFI about gates, so around we go and into out first logging maze.

With a bit of luck we came out of primitive Davis Pass onto the main Marble Creek Rd. Left onto the 301, left at the bridge and the ride is on its way to Freezeout.

Fred, Keith, and our youngster David.

We grow trees here. Looking back toward the TTT camp. 40 mi by road.

thetourist screwed with this post 07-24-2009 at 06:12 AM
thetourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 06:55 AM   #2
thetourist OP
Just passing thru

At this point I suggested the faster riders lead and subsequently I was left to run sweep, so my pics don't include many riders.

Pics from the Freezeout Ridge road.

you can just see the gerbil tail up on the road.

thetourist screwed with this post 07-24-2009 at 08:12 AM
Old 07-24-2009, 06:59 AM   #3
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,854
Beautiful

Old 07-24-2009, 08:28 AM   #4
thetourist OP
Just passing thru

Our next high point is Middle Sister Lookout. This is one of the St Joe's highest points. About 7000ft with good views.

Middle Sister

Idarider...Roy

West Sister

Where we came from.

The high country was in full spring. There was snow here a week or two ago.

Back downhill to little Dismal Lake where a few took a cool dunk.

Some confusion sent us down a wrong road out of Dismal. It seemed wrong to me, but the fast group was already gone. I followed along slowly then the group returned and we were on track again.

We rode a few more miles of this, then off to camp.

I have no pics of camp or Beaver Creek. Someone else will fill it in.

Roy fired up the range and we had Salmon steaks and stuff.

This was day one, about 150 mi.

thetourist screwed with this post 07-24-2009 at 09:01 AM
Old 07-24-2009, 03:43 PM   #5
thetourist OP
Just passing thru

Day Two starts with ham and eggs and hashbrowns. The usual rushing around getting packed and gassed. We load the pickup and leave Terry to find his way to St Regis, Missoula and Lolo Pass.

Fred has lost a bolt and zip ties his muffler bracket. That lasts about two miles. I pull out my tool kit and Fred finds some stuff to bandaid the muffler. Some riders had already gone ahead. Roy heads back to the truck for some wire or something. We button up and Fred heads out. While waiting for Roy I see a roll of that old heavy phone wire just down the road. While I'm clipping off a chunk I hear Roy charge by the intersection. I'll catch them at Needle Peak, my first alternate.

I rush a bit and didn't take pics, but this is a gorgeous section of the ride. At Needle Peak the tracks seem to bypass the turn, so I proceed to Simons Peak, the next alternate side trip.

This is near Needle Peak. 2000ft down to the St Joe River. Needle Peak is a rock outcrop that once had a lookout.

At the Simons turn off there are a few tire tracks milling about and I head up the hill. There are no tracks beyond the intersection. Maybe they all did go to Needle Peak. Any way, I skipped Needle but not skipping this one. I AM GOING to Simons Peak. Perhaps they will all show up.

Bear with me on these pics. This is a special place for me. My last adventure will be when someone spreads my ashes here. So here are some artsy shots.

Someones sunrise seat. there was a lookout here, but a lightning strike burned it down.

I look out here and know there is very little human presence. I'm on my own like I like it. Just me and the golden mantle squirrels. Then I hear a bike coming. Wade has come to retreave me. It seems there is a search party out. Back to reality.

Back down the hill I go.

I rush along or there would be another 50 pics. At the old Bluebells campground we hang a right onto the 715 road.
Old 07-24-2009, 04:05 PM   #6
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,808
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 04:31 PM   #7
cbmma1969
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 689

LB, pass the salt...
The traveler is active; he goes strenuously in search of people, of adventure, or experience. The tourist is passive; he expects interesting things to happen to him. DANIEL J. BOORSTIN, attributed, Voyages of Discover
cbmma1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 05:02 PM   #8
thetourist OP
Just passing thru

The 715 road is one of the roads we were unsure would be open. The snow was gone and a chainsaw went thru, but there was a lot of trash in the road and a fair amount of wash out. Still doable on a big bike the smaller bikes made easy work of it.

A gathering at the bridge. Paul (Kootenai Rider) with the blue crate. Keith (Fat Tire Please) on the left. David (Mutt 2 Jeff) at the front and Fred.

Fred (Dr Strangeride) and Wade (Wadel)

Roy (Idarider)

a great road. It's been decades since I was thru here.

How many pics should I post of this stuff. We are about 250 mi (half way) into this ride. Idaho has a lot of trees.

The North Idaho Militia grabs some trash and leaves it's mark. We are watchin you. Take your trash out of the woods.
Old 07-24-2009, 05:36 PM   #9
thetourist OP
Just passing thru

We come off the 715 onto the 250 at the big campground and this is where things went pear shaped.

I round a corner and find Fred spread out on the road.

I'm reaching for my camera when I hear.

"It's Broke! I broke my leg."

I push the Honda to the edge of the road and collect my First Aid Kit.

Everyone gathers. David heads down to the campground to look for help.

I splint Freds left lower leg with his right knee guard. Trying to eliminate the hinge between his boot and knee guard. A not too tight ace wrap then some of that crinkly wrap that sticks to itself seems to work pretty well. With leg propped Fred seems to be taking it OK.

Eventually someone shows up with a Suburban that is headed to Superior, Mt. The ladies in the Suburban had been thru Superior and had seen a medical facility sign. David had headed to the Kelly Creek Work Center, but hadn't returned, yet.

Fred didn't want me to cut his boot, so I was worried about blood supply to his foot and he could be in Superior within two hrs. The sooner he got to a hospital the better. Superior it is. We scootch him into the back and prop him and leg with pillows,etc. I tape his two feet together so he can stablize the break as needed. We bid him good luck and he's on his way.

Wade and I find a shady spot while others are shuffling around getting Fred's bike to Kelly Creek WC. It turns out they had an EMT and could have called in a helicopter. It should have been faster to the hospital and even up to medical help. The chopper medics are pretty darn competant. It turns out the Superior med center was a nurse and she flew Fred to Spokane by fixed wing. My guess is she knows her stuff, also.

Anyway that is my version of how it played out. Others views may vary. It does get hectic.

Fred couldn't have wrecked in a better spot. We were next to the 250 road (main road north and south thru the Clearwater Forest) and within 50 miles of I-90. Maybe 100 air miles from Missoula. Anywhere else would have meant many more hours. There was no cell coverage. I guess we should have had a sat phone.

I don't think anyone got a single pic.

And then there were SIX.

thetourist screwed with this post 07-24-2009 at 05:44 PM
Old 07-24-2009, 09:52 PM   #10
mutt2jeff
Keep firing assholes!

Oddometer: 972
This will be a good place to repost my version of events at the intersection of 250 and 255.

An account of Freds accident. As a group, we were riding slinky, probably 2 miles between the first and last rider. I was in the lead, and stopped to wait for the others in the shade at the intersection of 250 and 255. Paul, and then Keith pulled up and sat in the shade with me while we waited. A few minutes after, Roy, Fred, and Dick pulled in. Roy and Fred continuing straight on and Wade following. Dick stopped momentarily, and Paul and I got our helmets on and took off. As soon as I rounded the corner, I saw that fred was down, and dick and paul were standing next to him (I think).

I pulled up and ask fred if he was alright, to which he replied that he had a broken leg. I immediately told everyone that I was riding back to a campground with people we had seen a few miles back to get help, not knowing when the next vehicle to come along would be. I met two trucks one the way, the first was not interested in helping get fred to safety, and the second was, and told me about a ranger station 15 miles down the road. I road back to the accident, told them that a truck was on the way, and took Freds damaged, but far faster than a tw, xl650 to the ranger station. (broken cluth lever, damaged but workable shifter)

By the time I had left the accident, a Suburban had pulled up which would later take him to Superior. I rode post haste to the ranger station, and was leading and EMT and a helper back on the bike to run into Keith, who said that Fred on way his way to Superior. We discussed the logistics of chasing the ladies down and having him lifted out of the station, and decided it was too late.

With fred gone, I rode two up with Paul back to my tw, leaving freds bike at the Station for later pick up. As a group, we met at the Station and continues our journey for there.

I visited Fred Thursday, he is in very good spirits and would like to thank everyone in the group for our fast and decisive action (I think that was his inner scout leader talking). He is scheduled for surgery at 3 this afternoon. He dislocated, not broke, and compounded his Tib. He broke the Fib farther up. He also mangled several lower foot bones. I gather that his wife is not to happy with him, but I think he convinced her not to sell his bikes on ebay while he was laid up . He has a pretty good bruise on his inner left elbow, and is thankful that is compression suit saved him from greater injury.

The only thing Homeopathy cures is dehydration.

mutt2jeff screwed with this post 07-24-2009 at 11:32 PM
mutt2jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 04:26 AM   #11
Dessert Storm
Dances With Drunks

Oddometer: 783
Beautiful place to ride, and fantastic photography.

Sorry it all went pear-shaped for your pal. Hope he heals soon.

(Manti are dumplings not all too different from gyoza or pelmini) - Tourist.
Dessert Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 04:48 AM   #12
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmma1969

LB, pass the salt...
Here you go Clint. Oh wait, you said salt

Did you see that picture of Fred? Yikes!

Maybe if we stop talking Dick will show us some more pictures.

More popcorn please.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 09:37 AM   #13
thetourist OP
Just passing thru

We gather at the Work Center for cold drinks and a confab. Today could have been fairly short if everything worked out. A trip over Lolo Pass to the hot springs was even available. We still don't know if Toboggan Ridge is open. If not we will have to head for Superior, ourselves. Then back south to hwy 12 thru Montana. Gas could become an issue. There is lots of opportunity for coasting and after a some quick numbers my vote is to continue. We still have five hrs of daylight. The gang is game and we head for Toboggan Ridge.

N Fork of the Clearwater

Kelly Creek.

Our turn, then a few more miles of this county gravel.

Old 07-25-2009, 10:24 AM   #14
thetourist OP
Just passing thru

Roy and I start the leapfrog bit between ourselves since we are slow and way at the back. We both ride with caution in this outback stuff. Roy is steady as she goes. I will occasionally let her rip when there is good visibility, but I'm a serious chicken on blind corners. We both take pictures.

Fire damage

We're not so far out. Hamilton is just over that ridge.

Another stream, another bridge.

Another meadow

Somewhere out here we found some huckleberry pickers. Some bear poop in the road. It smelled very strong of huckleberries... and pepper

We hit the 500 road (the Lolo Motorway, Lewis and Clark, NeeMeePoo Trail)

Then onto the 109 for the last few miles, which turned out well. Very scenic.

I use some caution taking these pics. I can see myself tripping and being catapulted over the edge. Of course I'm always worried about hitting a deflector rock that sends you off course then hitting another which sends you over the edge. Man I'm getting to be an old nudge.

Hwy 12 going over Lolo Pass.

I hit pavement by myself and Camp 23 (on the maps) isn't there. No motorcycles either. I cruise up the pass looking for our truck...nothing. Turn around and wind the Gerbil to the stops. I'm cranking 75mph. Well this is just nuts. I stop and get out the maps. Wade comes along and retrieves me again.

I'm butt sore tonight, and tired. I'm surprised at Roys energy around camp as he fixes dinner, cause I know he is tired, also.

Steak, salad, fried bread sticks, melon. m-m-m Excellent.

I broke precedents and set up my tent before dark.
I was out the second my head went down.

Roy decided he would not ride tomorrow.

And then there were FIVE.
Old 07-25-2009, 03:49 PM   #15
Idarider
R1200GS

Oddometer: 1,986
Baked potatoes too

The baked potatoes w/sour cream were served after the steak since they needed to bake a while.
I rode Hwy 12, lolo pass back to Pierce. My first time doing 12 on the 250. I just kept the bike at 52 , where it was happy cruising and had a good ride and Greer grade is fun on the 250, passing 3 cars on the way up.
Just about into Pierce I got to watch a Snyders bread truck misjudge a corner to the point of having the inside duals off the ground.