ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-26-2012, 10:14 AM   #2416
hellfire76
haphazard adventurer
 
hellfire76's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: over crowded state of NJ
Oddometer: 716
I will be going to Island Dragway this Sunday to play on the 1/4 mile. Anyone interested in going? Its an open test and tune day so you're only racing the clock. You'll need a tether kill switch, I have an extra one or its pretty easy to rig something that will pass tech.
__________________
Hold my beer and watch this
hellfire76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:20 PM   #2417
Schickmeister
Youngin'
 
Schickmeister's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Your Mom's House
Oddometer: 2,672
My girlfriend is halfway through the MSF course up in Sussex this weekend. She had a great day!

Looking forward to possibly having a tagging partner in the near future.

She's rather partial to the look of a Bonneville. I'm okay with that.
__________________
Jason
'11 Flying Banana
Schickmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:34 PM   #2418
RedPower
Beastly Adventurer
 
RedPower's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: On a Trailer near you
Oddometer: 2,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellfire76 View Post
I will be going to Island Dragway this Sunday to play on the 1/4 mile. Anyone interested in going? Its an open test and tune day so you're only racing the clock. You'll need a tether kill switch, I have an extra one or its pretty easy to rig something that will pass tech.
Is this still a go
What time you figure on blasting down the strip?
__________________
Trailerama
RedPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:43 PM   #2419
Yellow Iron
Beastly Adventurer
 
Yellow Iron's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Mountain Corners North Jersey
Oddometer: 3,027
Bonnie is a great bike to start with Shick.

How did the Island Drag thing go

Pics pics pics.

Ive been stuck working.
Im going to line up another run to the shore. They are building a Tiki bar at Sea Streak Alantic highlandsI can get us in
__________________
Bigger Better Faster More----4 non blondes
Feel the Power of the Wheel
Yellow Iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:07 PM   #2420
jimmr
Beastly Adventurer
 
jimmr's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: NJ
Oddometer: 1,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schickmeister View Post
My girlfriend is halfway through the MSF course up in Sussex this weekend. She had a great day!

Looking forward to possibly having a tagging partner in the near future.

She's rather partial to the look of a Bonneville. I'm okay with that.
What bikes are they using for the course? A lot of places have changed to the Suzuki TU250X. I bought one as my first bike in May 2009 after doing the course. Great bike, classic looks like the Triumph but a lot lighter both physically (350lbs or so) and on the pocket (MRSP $4099, 75MPG); even with fuel injection maintenance is pretty much simple DIY. I recently moved up to a used F650GS single and now I feel like a giant on the TU, but it's a total blast on anything but the Interstate.

Sorry, don't mean to sound like a salesman, and I'm not thinking of getting rid of mine (I'm trying to wean my wife off her Vespa), but I have one if there was a need to check one out in person.

And yes, you can do a lot of tagging with it.
jimmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:19 PM   #2421
Schickmeister
Youngin'
 
Schickmeister's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Your Mom's House
Oddometer: 2,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmr View Post
What bikes are they using for the course? A lot of places have changed to the Suzuki TU250X. I bought one as my first bike in May 2009 after doing the course. Great bike, classic looks like the Triumph but a lot lighter both physically (350lbs or so) and on the pocket (MRSP $4099, 75MPG); even with fuel injection maintenance is pretty much simple DIY. I recently moved up to a used F650GS single and now I feel like a giant on the TU, but it's a total blast on anything but the Interstate.

Sorry, don't mean to sound like a salesman, and I'm not thinking of getting rid of mine (I'm trying to wean my wife off her Vespa), but I have one if there was a need to check one out in person.

And yes, you can do a lot of tagging with it.
Hey thanks for the tip! I think that she is on a TU125 (which is what I rode for my MSF course). She is pretty in love with the Bonneville so we are going to check that one first. She's only 5'1 though, so her choices are somewhat limited. It's about 1.5 inches lower than the ninja 250 and she had the ninja on her toes, so I think this one might be a winner!
__________________
Jason
'11 Flying Banana
Schickmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:42 PM   #2422
RedPower
Beastly Adventurer
 
RedPower's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: On a Trailer near you
Oddometer: 2,994
Oley Pa

Took a ride out to Oley today with Matcbox
Met up with The Gent & Eric
Here's a few of the sights
















__________________
Trailerama
RedPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:10 AM   #2423
scareraven
Ninja Freak
 
scareraven's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: the locals hate me
Oddometer: 631
Sweet bike Red! And the tricolore is ....where?

Schick?, you can have her post up any time, My girl has been out on her first few runs on her own lately too!
She bought a '89 VTR 250. She actually likes the barbie bike/late 80's awesome look. And she got a runner and a parts bike for under a grand. I feel like a circus bear on a tricycle when I ride, but damn does that thing hold a corner. A moped if you will.
And Best of luck with the 650 Jimmr.
I just picked up and got a new to me bike on the road this week.
'98 VTR 1000. Redpower says I got the right engine and color bike now to ride with the red team. Though his black FZ screwed it all up. I found out you can plate a salvage title. Made the bike really cheap if you honestly don't ever give a shit about passing it on. I have a habit of riding them until they die....Resurrecting them. Then killing them again.
The ZX9R is down for now, but I am looking for a new engine, eventually. That thing will be allowed to die when I say it can!

PS. Hummingraven sees that my VTR1000 is called the 'superhawk', and thusly refers to her VTR250 as the 'chickenhawk' !
__________________
...Quoth the Raven
'99 VFR 800i
scareraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:11 AM   #2424
sidecar79
Gnarly Adventurer
 
sidecar79's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: West Jersey USA.
Oddometer: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPower View Post
Took a ride out to Oley today with Matcbox
Met up with The Gent & Eric
Here's a few of the sights
Nice pictures RedPower, I was there on Friday
I found a few overpriced parts for my sidecar project.
sidecar79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:05 PM   #2425
Schickmeister
Youngin'
 
Schickmeister's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Your Mom's House
Oddometer: 2,672
Passed with flying colors!
__________________
Jason
'11 Flying Banana
Schickmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:34 PM   #2426
RedPower
Beastly Adventurer
 
RedPower's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: On a Trailer near you
Oddometer: 2,994
Island Dragway

Thanks Hellfire, for giving me a reason to go today
It's a place I've spent many a weekends
Will definately be returning

Here's our Hometown Hero lined up getting ready for battle








There was no other bikes left by the time I got there
But I did take some other pics




__________________
Trailerama

RedPower screwed with this post 05-01-2012 at 06:41 PM
RedPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:40 PM   #2427
Schickmeister
Youngin'
 
Schickmeister's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Your Mom's House
Oddometer: 2,672
So my girlfriend is pretty set on the Bonneville (NOTE: If anyone knows of a used one, let me know...seriously.).

However, I sent her an email with links to all the major motorcycle brands I could think of for her to peruse and see what styles she likes, etc. etc.

As she's looking, she goes...and I quote, "What is this KTM junk?"
__________________
Jason
'11 Flying Banana
Schickmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:02 PM   #2428
WSikorski
Beastly Adventurer
 
WSikorski's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Mount Laurel, NJ
Oddometer: 2,512
This was by far my favorite of all the cars/trucks that I've owned. 72 Camaro. Pic is from 1981.

__________________
2010 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS
Wayne aka "CigarSki"
error id:1Øt
WSikorski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:24 PM   #2429
jimmr
Beastly Adventurer
 
jimmr's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: NJ
Oddometer: 1,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schickmeister View Post
So my girlfriend is pretty set on the Bonneville (NOTE: If anyone knows of a used one, let me know...seriously.).

However, I sent her an email with links to all the major motorcycle brands I could think of for her to peruse and see what styles she likes, etc. etc.

As she's looking, she goes...and I quote, "What is this KTM junk?"
Don't get me in to more KTM trouble (see the GSTOR thread). A KTM cruised past me yesterday morning on 78 and I thought "WTF? How come he's not got the Grip-of-Death and isn't being blown all over the place like me?"; I would have asked but he was gone.

Congrats to your girlfriend on passing the course. I'd never ridden a bike until I took the MSF course, and afterwards I looked for something similar to what my friends were riding when I was at high school in Scotland a long time ago:

Triumph Trophy 250 TR25W. However, as a complete n00b, I didn't think I could deal with a leaky old classic, and a new 865cc Bonneville seemed a bit daunting after the GN125 on the course. Fortunately that's when the TU250X came out in the US and it fit the bill - it looked like what I wanted and it wasn't intimidating. Worked for me, but to be fair, my (ex)boss has a recent T100 and he says it's rock solid and "never surprises", which is probably a good thing when you're learning.
jimmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:00 PM   #2430
Yellow Iron
Beastly Adventurer
 
Yellow Iron's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Mountain Corners North Jersey
Oddometer: 3,027
I wonder where my kid get some things from

__________________
Bigger Better Faster More----4 non blondes
Feel the Power of the Wheel
Yellow Iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014