ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2012, 06:50 PM   #2596
MoBill OP
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,452
All Mark's work.

It was a great time meeting a wonderful people. In the teaser video he did there's a young man in there at the hotel, Ramesh, from Nepal, left home at 9 years old and has been working the Dragon Guest House in Manali every summer since. Wonderful young man, honest and helpful to a fault.

He talked that his marriage was unusual, a "love marriage"...and his new, young wife now pregnant he hoped that his in laws would "see the baby, and love the baby and now love me too". Bust you up, so open and faithful.
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:47 PM   #2597
STBNE
Yamaha ADVenturer

Oddometer: 6,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoBill View Post
All Mark's work.

It was a great time meeting a wonderful people. In the teaser video he did there's a young man in there at the hotel, Ramesh, from Nepal, left home at 9 years old and has been working the Dragon Guest House in Manali every summer since. Wonderful young man, honest and helpful to a fault.

He talked that his marriage was unusual, a "love marriage"...and his new, young wife now pregnant he hoped that his in laws would "see the baby, and love the baby and now love me too". Bust you up, so open and faithful.
Wonderful experiences and a truly epic adventure...I can see why y'all rode Royal Enfields'...they're small and nimble enough to get around almost any obstacle...and it must have been neat going thru that toll plaza in the cycle lane or what ever that was(ok I think that was another video...not yours)...always wanted to do that on the NJ TPK Those are some tough bikes so it was really great to see them and you all in action. I love the old Newsreel opening havent sent that in a while..and the production of the vids is 1st rateOh and that highest motorable road in the world...holy crap!!! That in itself was worth the trip there... the icing on the cake...

STBNE screwed with this post 06-12-2012 at 05:36 AM
STBNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:21 AM   #2598
GutterTrash
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 597
looks like good times bill, awesome adventure for sure.
GutterTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:37 AM   #2599
MoBill OP
Smiles when says dat

Little secret, the highest motorable road in the world is now in Nepal. :-D But who's going to change all those signs?

And plus, what would we put on the ride report? :)

Yes to the bypass for bikes on toll roads, I didn't know that even made it into the vids, motorbikes are everywhere and they're exempt--it's fitting...low impact and they sure as hell don't cause traffic.

We chose Enfields because they're ubiquitous, and every mechanic can fix them...parts in stock (except for Marks two time valve job).
Old 06-12-2012, 05:43 AM   #2600
STBNE
Yamaha ADVenturer

Quote:
Little secret, the highest motorable road in the world is now in Nepal. :-D But who's going to change all those signs?

And plus, what would we put on the ride report? :)

Yes to the bypass for bikes on toll roads, I didn't know that even made it into the vids, motorbikes are everywhere and they're exempt--it's fitting...low impact and they sure as hell don't cause traffic.

We chose Enfields because they're ubiquitous, and every mechanic can fix them...parts in stock (except for Marks two time valve job).
I can honestly say that my knowledge/perception of Royal Enfields has changed markedly since I have viewed this thread...they are the most durable bikes and I could understand the cult following they enjoy. And in a place like India it would seem these bikes just fit well with the character of the region.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:45 AM   #2601
MoBill OP
Smiles when says dat

Mine was great.

They are simple. The biggest issue I had was the aftermarket rack they put on. Shit metal and they don't believe in washers or loc-tite. Friggin thing just disintegrated. I had a blue one until the second to last day, replaced in total in Manali. Total, 1200 rupee, about 20 bucks.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:51 AM   #2602
STBNE
Yamaha ADVenturer

also sounds like everything is cheap and you can live like kings...on a budget compared to the way life is here in the states. I would love to do this trip...not only for the riding but for the wonderful culture and people you encounter. I wouldnt care for food poisoning but then as Mark would say..."its all part of the adventure" To say I am envious doesnt quite cover it...I really have enjoyed your posting of this...Thanks...definitely memories for a lifetime
Old 06-12-2012, 05:58 AM   #2603
Jezza
A British Invasion

Oddometer: 1,219
Quote:
Anyway, India is a gentle country, it's people I mean. Everywhere you go people want to know who you are, where you come from. "And what is your good name". "Tell me of your mother". WONDERFUL people. I loved 'em.
MoBill, I've been looking out for your amazing India posts. Have you done a formal "Trip Report" ? (with maps please) I'm sure there are plenty of guys would love to see such an epic trip in one place.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:13 AM   #2604
MoBill OP
Smiles when says dat

Here's my ride report:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=790343

Mark's thread:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...89134&page=198

And a map, I have, but I haven't uploaded it yet. It's crazy, the switchbacks illustrated...
Old 06-12-2012, 06:31 AM   #2605
MoBill OP
Smiles when says dat

Many thanks. :)

People made the report, not me, and I'm a shitty RR writer--Mark really brings it, I'm good at the impressions piece only...thanks though, glad you guys are interested in it.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:47 AM   #2606
STBNE
Yamaha ADVenturer

Quote:
Many thanks. :)

People made the report, not me, and I'm a shitty RR writer--Mark really brings it, I'm good at the impressions piece only...thanks though, glad you guys are interested in it.
Interested??? Its fascinating and Epic!!! All I have ever owned and ridden on as an adult have been street bikes on paved roads. Lately I have really wanted to get a dual sport and do some dirt roads...this report only intensifies my desires. here in NC theres a million times more off road riding than there is on road riding...not to mention the fun factor and going the lesser traveled path...
Old 06-12-2012, 06:52 AM   #2607
MoBill OP
Smiles when says dat

You should know that 3 days in, I already longed for the green hills of home. I've spent a lot of time away from home already, and even though I loved the trip and it was epic, I'm long ago cured of my desire to roam far from the US....it's just true.

I miss it as soon as I'm gone, the old familiar feelings of separation return the moment the landing gear is stowed on take off.

The paths, familiar and unfamiliar that lead from our own front doors are plenty adventure for me. The miles of dirt you allude to, local are perfect, alluring, interesting to me.

My favorite road I still think is Paradise Rd up in Passaic County....and that's just a short ribbon of rock and dirt not far from where I grew up.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:56 AM   #2608
MoBill OP
Smiles when says dat

I cannot go to rest, but linger still
In meditation at my windowsill,
While, like the twinkling stars in heaven’s dome,
Come one by one sweet memories of home.
And wouldst thou ask me where my fancy roves
To reproduce the happy scenes it loves,
Where hope and memory together dwell
And paint the pictured beauties that I tell?

The wilderness, that naught before would yield,
Is now become a fertile, fruitful field.
Where roamed at will the fearless Indian band,
The templed cities of the Saints now stand.
And sweet religion in its purity
Invites all men to its security.
There is my home, the spot I love so well,
Whose worth and beauty pen nor tongue can tell.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:04 AM   #2609
STBNE
Yamaha ADVenturer

Indeed ...we need not look much past our front door...especially down here where population density is much more spread out...at least out in the counties...lots of open land and ofc then there the western part of the stae that is a world class destination for some of the best on/off road riding to be had in the USA. Down here there is the Triangle TOR and it has increasingly become more dirt oriented and for me thats the new equation to get me into the game and riding in the woods...cant wait to find a nice little bike... Cheers!!! Edit... Wonderful poem and sums it up eloquently...
Old 06-12-2012, 09:46 AM   #2610
docgonzo
Old Gadfly

Oddometer: 13,151
Real Dirt....

Enough of this philosophical/poetic nonsense..... How about some real dirt this Sunday?

Anyone interested? I'm thinking of testing out the titanium knees with my son....