Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2009, 11:14 AM   #1
kstokes OP
displaced cajun

Oddometer: 8
Hit & run = week in the hospital and a permanently gimp leg. (gross ER pics included)

Try to avoid the pictures if you're squeamish! :)

Hey all, I found this place after my long search for the woes of other wrecked riders, particularly looking for a reason for my leg to still be purple, hahaha... Fgured it would be well worth my time (and possibly yours) to share my story. So here's what happened:

My husband is in the Navy and he had just gotten home from an 8 month deployment to the Afghanistan region of the world this past April. After spending a month in Virginia, he finally made his way back down to Florida for some extra schooling before his 3 year orders to Japan. While deployed, he had traded his old and busted zx10r for a working zx7r and when he came home found a few minor things that needed to be fixed and replaced the plastic body parts.

The bike had also been lowered by its previous owner, so when we got back down to Florida, my husband and his step-dad took the liberty one Sunday morning (June 7th, 2009) to lift it up so it wouldn't scrape the ground when I climbed on the back. Later that afternoon, we decided to go for a ride with the neighbor (so at this point, it is me and my husband on his zx7, his step-dad and younger brother on his step-dad's vtx, and the neighbor on whatever he rides.)

Because we live in Florida, we don't have to wear a helmet, however, because my husband is in the military, he has to wear one, and therefore, made me wear one against my will, so we stopped at a k-mart and bought me a $60 helmet just so I would have one, and off we went. Everything was going well, infact, perfect really. It wasn't until we came within 5 miles of home that everything went sour.

On that last stretch of highway, we were all cruising at about 55mph or possibly less when a chevy truck pulling a trailor came up from behind us trying to pass. While doing so, the driver started losing control of his trailor and the trailor hit my husband and I on the left side, cutting holes into our legs and breaking his handle bar. Needless to say, we went down with the bike, and thank god for helmets. All we remember seein is "ground-sky-ground-sky-ground-sky" over and over until we stopped in a ditch 475 feet from the original crash site.

Neither of us had any head or neck injuries and my $60 helmet fared much better than my husband's $300 helmet, but the rest of our bodies were not so lucky. I tried standing up just after we stopped and remember falling back down to the ground screaming in pain. I felt like I was on fire and I couldn't put it out. My husband managed to crawl his way to me and once he did just sat on the ground moaning (because he's too manly to yell in pain or something...)

The truck that hit us never stopped and the cop that took the accident report never made an effort to get the information he needed to find the guy that hit us. There were at least 5 witnesses, possibly more than that, and this guy is still running loose. We spend a week in the hospital and they had to put us to sleep in order to change our bandages because the pain was so bad. It's been over a month now and I still have trouble walking and my leg is still a nice shade of purple, red on a good day. Every time we see someone riding in a short sleeve shirt and shorts, or even jeans, and every now and then, a girl in a bikini, we shake our heads and wish that we could somehow convice them or their stupidity. We were wearing jeans and long sleeve shirts, and now we won't even let our relatives near a bike unless they are suited up. We are so thankful that it was us that got hit that day and not the other riders with us because we were the only ones wearing helmets.

ER (June 7, 2009):

(harharhar :P)

June 9, 2009 (A few hours after a dressing change in the OR):

July 1, 2009:

The lesson ladies and germs? Jeans aren't as protective as you think and just becuase there isn't a helmet law where you live, doesn't mean you'll survive not wearing one. Gear up next time your ride, or face the wrath of he road.

kstokes screwed with this post 07-24-2009 at 12:01 PM Reason: added nasty picture warning to the title.
kstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 11:19 AM   #2
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,863
Woah! You might want to warn peeps about those pics!

Really glad you're healing now. ATGATT is the new black.
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 11:42 AM   #3
kstokes OP
displaced cajun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman
Woah! You might want to warn peeps about those pics!
Advice taken. Haha. I keep forgetting how gross people find those pictures since I'm used to seeing the crap on my own body. My bad!

I'll probably get some pictures up of the bike soon. we haven't touched it since the accident, and I'll post some new pictures of the healing process on my leg in about two weeks. It'll be 2 months since the accident by then.
Old 07-24-2009, 12:02 PM   #4
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,863
I was in Florida back in January and was amazed how many people ride without a helmet (over here in Europe it's a legal requirement). Made me wince every time I thought about it. You're living proof of the value of wearing one.

Heal fast!
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 12:05 PM   #5
kstokes OP
displaced cajun

It's a requirement here in most states, like wearing a seat belt, but Florida is just one of the exceptions (however, wearing a seat belt is still mandatory.)
Old 07-24-2009, 12:07 PM   #6
Gitana
A work in progress

Oddometer: 7,037
Holy cow, that looks sooo painful. I'm so glad you two were wearing helmets. I hope you heal up well.
2008 WR250R | 2008 DL650
Gitana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 12:09 PM   #7
SocalRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,292
Thanks for the post. Thanks for the pix to show what not wearing proper gear can lead to. Not to beat up on you, but if you had decent MC gear on you most likely could have come pretty close to walking from the whole incident without all the pain. You were actually pretty lucky from the sound of things considering what you were wearing.

'07 White (the coolest color) GSA rider
'13 Husky Strada & '14 KTM 690 Enduro
SocalRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 02:39 PM   #8
Socrates
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Could've, would've, should've doesn't do anyone any good now. We've all done stupid things, myself included. Some learn, some don't. I also learned the hard way about why ATGATT is so important.

I appreciate you posting your story and the photos so everyone can learn from your experience. I'm glad your injuries are not life-threatening. I wish you a quick and full recovery.
Socrates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 02:46 PM   #9
SRMN8R
Down & Out

Oddometer: 2,989
Thanks for posting.

I was just going to go for a short ride, and don't want to put on all my gear. After reading your post, I think I'm just going to stay here at my desk.

ATGATT.

Thanks for the reminder.

- Jimmy
SRMN8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 02:51 PM   #10
yazhound
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Heal well!

Saw the post and for the life of me don't understand the "joys" of helmet-less riding. I seem to remember reading that one of the advocates for removing the helmet requirement in FLA, was subsequently killed in a motorcycle accident about 3 mos after the law change. She was not wearing a helmet.

Is your husband from the P-Cola area? I am from Ft Walton but live in Macon, and sure do miss the panhandle. But - riding is much better here!

I wish you both a quick heal.

Oh, btw - did you ever raise hell with law enforcement over their lack of initiative?
yazhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 03:32 PM   #11
Subicon
Serious Business

Oddometer: 31
Yikes. I am a ATGMOTT, but I always feel weird when I don't wear my overpants. I've got a little road rash myself from when I first started riding. Thanks for the reminder to wear ATGATT.
Subicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 10:14 PM   #12
bloke911
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
First off, Glad your still with us. Second thanks for sharing this with us. If a story like this can change one person's mind to ride in gear you've done a great service for us all.

Hope you heal up and thank you husband for the time he gave us across the pond.

Cheers and wishes.
bloke911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 10:21 PM   #13
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,243
Glad you weren't hurt worse, hopefully your story will convince more people to wear gear and get proper rider training. Heal up quick!

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 08:09 AM   #14
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot
Glad you weren't hurt worse, hopefully your story will convince more people to wear gear and get proper rider training. Heal up quick!
+1
Old 07-25-2009, 12:24 PM   #15
KJP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
as nauseating as the photos are, it might just take that for people to realize they need to wear the right gear. I hope you both heal quickly and thank you for post.