User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2012, 09:07 PM   #1
Kent Glasscock OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
Translab to Deadhorse 2012

In about five or six hours I will be departing on the first part of my trip up the East Coast to Asbury Park, NJ. It's around an 11 hour ride. Nothing like the first day of riding with a loaded bike for 500 miles. Below is the bike I'll be taking. My 02 Honda Shadow 750 ACE. Its all cleaned and ready to go. Got to load it up in the morning and hit the road. I will try and keep you guys posted.

Kent Glasscock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 05:37 AM   #2
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,655

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:05 AM   #3
PHOTON PHIL
THe REAL poser

Oddometer: 253
PHOTON PHIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:26 AM   #4
liquidsmile
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,351
Good luck, your bike will never be the same.

I took my Valkyrie up to Prudhoe Bay back in 2007, it came back a lot more dirty.

liquidsmile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:10 AM   #5
C-Stain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,612
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:31 PM   #6
nick949eldo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
nick949eldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:29 PM   #7
Kent Glasscock OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Well, here's what it looked like packed and ready. Made it to Asbury Park, NJ in about 10 hours which was better then I thought. Ended up leaving at 730. For starters. I know the bike is loaded big time. But it's too late to change it. As I continue some things will be mailed back but I need most of this until Seattle. It was all slab today with the ride mostly being uneventful my only fear being if I hit a bump what would fly off in the back. I was comfortable for the most part stopping every 100 miles for a refuel and drink. Still took me an hour to pack but I know each day it will get a little easier. The hardest being the spare gas. I have to bring the extra four gallons for those parts that there are no gas stations on the Translab and Dalton. Right now, I just filled one about half way. Bike handled okay. I was able to maintain the speed limit if not above it and was even doing 78 for a few miles at least. Hit some bad traffic with people zigzagging in and out on the Penn TP and the NJP. Whenever I was in the left lane to pass I found myself looking more in my mirrors then ahead of me for approaching cars. Few stars at the gas station and on the highway at my load and just one question today about what I was doing with all of this stuff. I think I'm gonna start saying I lost my home and this all I have left or something of that nature. Had a nice dinner with my Aunt Di and Aunt Joy. Going to a BQ tmrw and will take off for Maine on Sunday. You guys have a great effing Saturday.

PS. I have the tires at 40 PSI in the rear and 36 in the front. Was gonna lower the rear to 30 PSI when for the gravel on the Translab and Dalton. Seems about right with the type of tires I have and weight (Metzler 130/85) Was curious as to what you guys think.
Old 07-29-2012, 07:32 PM   #8
Kent Glasscock OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Made it to Bangor

Well, I left later than I wanted which was 9. Was shooting for 8 but I guess I wanted to see how much beer I could drink at my Aunts the night before. Got on the Garden State Parkway (GSP) which is a regular speedway if you ask me but I kept up with traffic just fine and stayed on it until the Tappen Zee bridge (I love this bridge) then into Connecticut back on 95 which is a terrible highway through here. Into Mass bypassing Boston on the Mass Parkway until back on 95 in New Hampshire were the overcast weather finally started to hit and as I hit Maine for yet another toll booth ( I think I spent 20 bucks on tolls today) I was in Maine and 100 miles of rain. I think paying tolls on a bike is a pain. I have to stop. Make sure I'm in neutral. Put the feet down. I have a fanny pac which I'm ashamed to say so i can grab my change out of that. I still dropped a couple of quarters and fumbled with the dollar bills especially when it's under layers of stuff. Just wish I was a little smoother.

The rain cleared up North of Portland and finally I95 becomes my favorite highway as a travel miles North with nothing but woods in between. I was going to camp but being damp and chilled I decided to motel it. I found a motel 6 but when i got there. Some idiot comes out asking for money where every other word is an F bomb. He also looked like he was on meth honestly so I decided to stay somewhere else. Found a travlelodge and I'm residing here for tonight. Also met some guys riding their two vulcans and one 1989 Goldwing from Halifax Very nice and knew they were cool since they offered me a beer as soon as a pulled up. I cover my bike not so much because I'm worried about the elements it's more of just to keep anyone from checking out my guages or GPS hookup.

And here are the bikes of my neighbors

And here is the damage so far from the beer. Yes, I'm drinking the Miller Lite. Notice the hand reaching for the Bud?

Plane is tomorrow to get up and head to the ferry. Looks like another 10 hour day. Will try to post some more pics as i continue. Have a great Monday guys.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:37 PM   #9
nick949eldo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
Kent,
Never mind that it looks as though you're moving house............. All that weight might be a mixed blessing. Once you get on the gravel, it will keep the front end nice and light - valuable on the potholed section north of Red Bay.

Good luck with your trip.

Nick
nick949eldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:48 PM   #10
sandbagger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Holly STUFF!!!
sandbagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:37 PM   #11
Kent Glasscock OP
Gnarly Adventurer

On t he ferry to Argentia

Well, another late start. Didn't leave until 930. And with entering Atlantic time it added another hour to the trip. But I didn't need to be at the dock until 1030 at the latest. I knew I had time but I wanted to make a trip a little more leisurely than it was today. Customs was stupid. They had a guy in front of the border asking you the basic questions looking at your passport. Then you would drive up to the booth and the agent would look at your passport and ask the same thing. I don't know what the point is of that. So that was a delay. I know theyre are ATMs but I brought cash so I had to find a bank for an exchange. Which I did in Fredricksburg but that took about 45 minutes for everything. The people were so nice there as well as the rest of Canada I might add. So I was feeling good just wanted to get to were I needed to go. GPS took me to a gas station that looks like it was shut down 10 years ago. Another delay. By the time I got into NS, I was just wanted to get there. Which I knew would happen. Plus it was getting chilly and I had to piss badly. So, the last 100 miles were not comfortable. I arrived close to 9 with it being dark and a line to get in. Waited about 20 minutes for that and then was able to park in front with the other bikers who all stared at this monstrosity of bungy, bags, and two large gas containers parked with them. I rushed in and got some food and took my piss. After that, I was much more relieved. While waiting to bored I was able to talk to some of the other bikers. All very friendly asking about my trip and vice versa. I was the only guy from America on there. Woulda thought there would be a few of us. Finally borded and as I speak we are about to take off, It will be a 14 hour ride. I have a couch. The bar is closed. I want a refund for that. Oh well Will try to post some pics.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:47 PM   #12
springfieldboston
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidsmile View Post
Good luck, your bike will never be the same.

I took my Valkyrie up to Prudhoe Bay back in 2007, it came back a lot more dirty.

Sounds like a great trip! Good Luck!

On a side note....
One of the best motorcycles ever made, LOVE my Valk!

springfieldboston screwed with this post 07-30-2012 at 09:17 PM
springfieldboston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:10 PM   #13
Kent Glasscock OP
Gnarly Adventurer

bar closed

not feeling happy in the morning

The molsen draft was outstanding

Old 08-01-2012, 03:31 PM   #14
Kent Glasscock OP
Gnarly Adventurer

In St. Barbe..

Must have been more tired than I thought cause I didn't get up until 9. I had already decided to take the ferry the next day (why I didn't make reservations) So, I'm here at the RV park with my little space. There is some sort of RV convention going on. Everyone here as a pacemaker but all very nice people. You think someone would bring their hot 20 something year old daughter here, Geez. Plan is to take the AM ferry tmrw, Ride today was nice. It was in the 70s all day and sunny. Good night to camp. Wish I could have a fire but they don't do it here. But the place as all of the facilities so not bad for 20 Canadian. The people of NFL are great. So freakin nice.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:35 PM   #15
ricohman
Marinoni man

Oddometer: 1,981
Cool. Another trip to Deadhorse.
When I got to Deadhorse I saw this guy.

ricohman is offline   Reply With Quote