User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2009, 06:23 AM   #16
Bucko
In a parallel world

Oddometer: 808
$$

Just re-read the whole thread and can't find the part where you're offering a discount to the local inmates

I like the leather idea, not crazy about paying for pads I don't need. Klim wasn't shy about upping the price for a couple of upgrades.
Bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 08:17 AM   #17
Brtp4 OP
Yea, its a friggin L

Oddometer: 1,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucko
Just re-read the whole thread and can't find the part where you're offering a discount to the local inmates

I like the leather idea, not crazy about paying for pads I don't need. Klim wasn't shy about upping the price for a couple of upgrades.
I know, I know, sorry. FWIW we are pretty aggressive with pricing and have some great deals. Between Klims price structure, their MAP policy, and their....way....of enforcing it, they need to be sold at retail.

BTW, we received our eval pair yesterday. They are way, way burlier than the previous model - a lot of changes. I wasn't thrilled about the price increase either. But I know gear, and there is no doubt in my mind that the price is due to the additional features, not to an artificial bump.

We will do a full spec check on these and post up later.

Thanks,

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Brtp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 12:46 PM   #18
Gumbeaux
The Chameleon

Oddometer: 789
Placed my order online for some Dakar pants. So far, great communication and expectation setting on the delayed delivery. I am looking forward to these...hoping the padding is at least somewhat useful...
Old 07-30-2009, 12:06 AM   #19
911racer
dare to explore

Oddometer: 471
I realy like the look of these pants. How do they hold up on the street? I'm planing a year long ride to South America next year and want something thats going to keep me from cooking in the heat of central america and be comfortable when the weather gets cold in the high mountains in Chile. I don't expect or want them to be water proof (thats what rain gear is for) just want them to breath well, have good protection and fit over motocross boots.

How do these compare to other street style pants as far as protection goes?

As far as price they seem pretty cheap compared to street stuff from RevIt or BMW.

Run, run, run!
If you drink those sweet liqueurs you'll spill
The springwater of your real life.
Forget safety
Live where you fear to live.
Be notorious
Destroy your reputation.
You have tried prudent planning for long enough.
From now on, live mad.
-J. Rumi, born 1207, a sifi mystic poet.
911racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 02:51 PM   #20
Brtp4 OP
Yea, its a friggin L

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911racer
I realy like the look of these pants. How do they hold up on the street? I'm planing a year long ride to South America next year and want something thats going to keep me from cooking in the heat of central america and be comfortable when the weather gets cold in the high mountains in Chile. I don't expect or want them to be water proof (thats what rain gear is for) just want them to breath well, have good protection and fit over motocross boots.

How do these compare to other street style pants as far as protection goes?

As far as price they seem pretty cheap compared to street stuff from RevIt or BMW.

Hello 911, very sorry for the delay. Where in the Santa Cruz Mtns? I am a former Los Gatan, rode a bunch in the SC Mtns, and love that area.

To be clear, I cannot accurately say how long they will last, as they are brand-spankin' new. But they are clearly heavier than the previous version. On my scale, the 09s weigh 2.34 lbs, the '10s weigh 3.23 lbs. Most of this comes from the main fabric, which seems to either be a heavier denier of have a thicker coating or both.

FYI the pads weigh only .12 lbs. I am glad they thought about this, but the pads are marginal. At best.

I would say that they will be better for your trip or for street riding, because of the additional heft. They have the same 20" zippers and a slightly larger rear exhaust vent, so they should still breathe relatively well. It is ridiculously hot here, so it's a good time to check them out.

I am working on an eval now, will post up later.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Old 07-30-2009, 04:11 PM   #21
RedlegDaddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 487
Ordered them online yesterday.

Brian,

Were you the guy I meet last month in Eureka, NV? My buddy and I were riding the TAT and I think I meet you in the hotel parking lot. You were riding a KTM (with a hundred gallon fuel tank) and one of your riding buddies had a broken bike and was waiting for parts. I was the short guy on the TALL KTM 950 SE.

Thanks,
Jim
"Above all, we must realize that no arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women. It is a weapon our adversaries in today's world do not have." Ronald Reagan

2014 690R & 2014 500 EXC
RedlegDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 05:46 PM   #22
Brtp4 OP
Yea, its a friggin L

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedlegDaddy
Ordered them online yesterday.

Brian,

Were you the guy I meet last month in Eureka, NV? My buddy and I were riding the TAT and I think I meet you in the hotel parking lot. You were riding a KTM (with a hundred gallon fuel tank) and one of your riding buddies had a broken bike and was waiting for parts. I was the short guy on the TALL KTM 950 SE.

Thanks,
Jim
That was probably Dave Wachs. Sorta like me, except a little taller. And skinnier. And faster.

OK, not really like me.

I think the ride report from that trip of his is here: Sorry about the dust.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Old 07-30-2009, 07:06 PM   #23
911racer
dare to explore

Thanks for the reply. I think these will be good pants for my trip. I will probably order some up in the next couple months.
Run, run, run!
Forget safety
Be notorious
Destroy your reputation.
From now on, live mad.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:28 AM   #24
911racer
dare to explore

LOL, Ya I have a Sweet Cannondale E440R. its been one of the best and most reliable bikes I have ever owned. I got it new in 2003 and have put hundreds of hours on it. its also street legal here in California. I have never needed to open up the motor and the valves have never needed adjustments. just the last month did the crank bearings did start to wear out so I will be rebuilding the motor soon. I also have a tricked out 04 Husky TC450 but i like the Dale more.
Run, run, run!
Forget safety
Be notorious
Destroy your reputation.
From now on, live mad.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:48 AM   #25
Bucko
In a parallel world

Oddometer: 808
Question Next question

Do the hip pads hang from Velcro tabs so I can swap in the comfy pads from my Dariens?
Bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 12:10 PM   #26
Brtp4 OP
Yea, its a friggin L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucko
Do the hip pads hang from Velcro tabs so I can swap in the comfy pads from my Dariens?
No, they are held in pockets. You could easily sub something else, as long as you cut the perimeter to match. You could also sew velcro tabs onto the pockets and attach your hip pads.

I commend you, adding hip pads is really easy but few do it. Nice.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Old 07-31-2009, 04:32 PM   #27
brad21
Farting in a Fan

Oddometer: 3,556
Anyone?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=491123

BRC Member #49252 JOIN TODAY! https://www.sharetrails.org/support/join-or-contribute
brad21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 02:02 PM   #28
Brtp4 OP
Yea, its a friggin L

Specs And Details

I haven't really mentioned it, but I was a motorcycle gear designer /product manager for 15+ years, and am pretty familiar with the stuff. As part of every new product release, we would do a QC and spec analysis of the first shipment, to familiarize us with the product and make sure it was correct. At Atomic we do this for all the products we sell. Helps us in fitting customers over the web, and prevents us from taking on lines that will have a lot of failures in the field.

We did a spec check on these, and the results are really good. Apparel (especially moto apparel) is notoriously inconsistent. However, these have accurate specs and a nice, consistent "grade", which is the spread between sizes. Here is a sampling of the most relevant specs, rounded to the nearest .25":

................WAIST.........WAIST
SIZE..........STATIC......STRETCHED.........OUTSEA M
32..............30.5.............34.0............. ......41
34..............33.0.............36.0............. ......42.5
36..............35.25...........38.0.............. .....43.25
38..............36.5.............40.0............. ......44.25
40..............39.0.............42.0............. ......44.5

Spec notes:

- We follow industry standard practice of measuring 2x.
- Waist measured with zip closed, front closure snapped, but waist side adjusters OPEN.
- Outseam taken at center side of waist to bottom of cuff.
- Outseam is a more useful spec than inseam on moto gear. The reason is simple: the rise spec varies enormously and the crotch sags on some pants, which makes comparing inseam like apples to oranges. Outseam is a more accurate way to gauge length.

Comments:

- The consistency, especially for the stretched waist measurement, is outstanding. I personally have seen 36s with a smaller waist than 34s, but Klim is dead-on. Kudos to Paul Webber from Klim, who watches over their production, clearly like a hawk.
- The pants have a cool feature that helps fit, an elastic gather at the center rear of the waist. This allows the pant waist spec to have a bit of variance, while not sliding down.
- The result is that the pants fit more body types, for any given size. For those who sometimes wear padded shorts, are in between sizes, or who gain/lose weight, this will make it much easier to fit over the web.
- At first I was a little put off by how much heavier they are compared to the 2008/2008 Klim Dakars. The 08s in a size 36 weigh 2.34 lbs, the 2010 Dakars weigh 3.28. Most of this is the leather, but the main fabric is heavier also. After looking it them in detail, there are a lot of changes made to increase durability.
- The pads are less than .3 lb. and not much protection. You could make your own and sub them in the pockets, which would be an improvement. These are 1 small step above useless.
- More important, when they are on, they do not feel much different. The venting is a little larger, should flow more air too.

The 08 Dakars were good off road pants, but the 2010 Dakar pants are a good ADV pant also. They are not as substantial as a Revit, for example, and the pads are a joke. But they are much better for off road use, good for true ADV - where dirt is involved - and cost way less. A huge improvement over the 2009s.

We will be posting up some detail photos later this week. Otherwise, if anyone has any questions, please email us at info@atomic-moto.com.

Thanks,
BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR

Brtp4 screwed with this post 10-11-2010 at 12:12 PM
Old 08-02-2009, 04:15 PM   #29
silverdog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 518
do you sell Klim gortex jackets ? dont see them listed......
silverdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 09:57 AM   #30
Brtp4 OP
Yea, its a friggin L

SD,

Yes, we do, we do the full line of Klim motorcycle gear, no snow though. I have not listed them yet as I as it is still pretty hot, and I really want to review them before I start selling them. FWIW I have seen them, but I prefer to ride with stuff, or have one of our testers do so, before I sell it so I know what I am talking about.

What model are you looking at? Pls shoot me an email to info@atomic-moto.com with your phone and I will give you a call.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR