Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2009, 09:20 PM   #46
ydag
Dude

Oddometer: 10
Hey Brian - Thanks for the sweet deal, 60 bucks for a pair of Klim pants - Nice. Great transaction, showed up just in time for weekend.

03 640 ADV
06 DRZ 400
ydag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 11:54 AM   #47
hamster
n00b

Oddometer: 7
How tall is regular?

The Tall inseam pants seem only available in gray (black?) but I heared the 2010 regulars are a little longer than the 2008?
hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 03:26 PM   #48
Brtp4 OP
Yea, its a friggin L

Oddometer: 1,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamster
The Tall inseam pants seem only available in gray (black?) but I heared the 2010 regulars are a little longer than the 2008?
That is correct. Outseam on a 2009 size 36 Dakar is 41.5, on a 2010 size 36 Dakar it is 43.25. The waist rides a little higher on the 2010, but I would say effective length is about 1" - 1.5" longer.

Talls have a 3" longer leg length.

Everyone has a different build, but I do not think talls are necessary unless you are at least 6'2", and probably even a little taller.

Hope that helps.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Brtp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 09:40 AM   #49
hamster
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brtp4
Everyone has a different build, but I do not think talls are necessary unless you are at least 6'2", and probably even a little taller.
Thanks!

Hamster is indeed 6'2" and by far not the tallest around here. Men are considered tall if over 2,00 meters (6'6,6"). I suppose Americans are on the midget site of the spectrum. (Oh gee, incoming!!)
hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 07:43 AM   #50
Brtp4 OP
Yea, its a friggin L

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamster
Thanks!

Hamster is indeed 6'2" and by far not the tallest around here. Men are considered tall if over 2,00 meters (6'6,6"). I suppose Americans are on the midget site of the spectrum. (Oh gee, incoming!!)
Yea, I felt pretty short when I was there....

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Old 08-15-2009, 02:47 PM   #51
MotoBoss
Bad Influence

Oddometer: 3,401
Quote:
That is correct. Outseam on a 2009 size 36 Dakar is 41.5, on a 2010 size 36 Dakar it is 43.25. The waist rides a little higher on the 2010, but I would say effective length is about 1" - 1.5" longer.

Talls have a 3" longer leg length.

Hope that helps.

BP

Soooooooo, a "standard lenght on the 2010's would be maybe a 33" inseam? I need about a 33-34" inseam for pant to cover my boot tops while on the bike and can't decide on the "standard" or "tall's". At 6'3" I hate having my pant legs riding at the top of my boots (Alpinestars Tech 2 50/50)

Helllllllllllllllllp!

AdventureRiderRadio
Donate To ADV

MotoBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 05:05 PM   #52
Brtp4 OP
Yea, its a friggin L

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoBoss
Soooooooo, a "standard lenght on the 2010's would be maybe a 33" inseam? I need about a 33-34" inseam for pant to cover my boot tops while on the bike and can't decide on the "standard" or "tall's". At 6'3" I hate having my pant legs riding at the top of my boots (Alpinestars Tech 2 50/50)

Helllllllllllllllllp!
If you are 6'3", get the talls.

That said.....on page 2 post 29 of this thread I posted up specs of the new Dakars vs. old. I don't really like to use the inseam spec on moto pants, because the crotch position can vary a lot. There are some other factors also, but in general, on moto pants inseam is not as useful as outseam.

I should not have phrased my last post in the way that I did. I was trying to explain to Hamster that the 2010s are longer, but the "probably taller" part is a mistake. I will rephrase to say GENERALLY speaking at 6'2" and up the talls are a good idea.

BTW...the "tall" sizes are +3" in length over the std. For you, at 6'3", get the talls. You will have more mobility, less hassle with your guards being pulled up by them, tightness on the lower thigh, etc.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR

Brtp4 screwed with this post 08-15-2009 at 05:11 PM
Old 08-15-2009, 05:51 PM   #53
Django Loco
Banned

Oddometer: 3,785
Do you guys do any "Short" versions? How about "Short and Fat" ? How about 34 waist/29 inseam?
I'm only 5'7". Guess I'm a weird size .... but according to Aerostich, a very common size range ... and big problem for sizing for
someone shaped like an Egg.

Most moto pants these days put the crotch too low and the knees in the wrong place. BTW, Leather inner leg covers have been used by your competition for 20 years. Nothing new there ... most top name brands have the leather inners (or Lorica).

I've never seen the KLIM pants in person to compare directly with others ... are they available at any retail stores in the San Francisco Bay area?

I usually await "year end" clearance sales. Anything coming up?

Cheers!
Django Loco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 10:02 PM   #54
Brtp4 OP
Yea, its a friggin L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Django Loco
Do you guys do any "Short" versions? How about "Short and Fat" ? How about 34 waist/29 inseam?
I'm only 5'7". Guess I'm a weird size .... but according to Aerostich, a very common size range ... and big problem for sizing for
someone shaped like an Egg.

Most moto pants these days put the crotch too low and the knees in the wrong place. BTW, Leather inner leg covers have been used by your competition for 20 years. Nothing new there ... most top name brands have the leather inners (or Lorica).

I've never seen the KLIM pants in person to compare directly with others ... are they available at any retail stores in the San Francisco Bay area?

I usually await "year end" clearance sales. Anything coming up?

Cheers!
Hi Django.

They don't do short inseams, but I have 1st gen Klim offroad pants called the Revolt and Moab that were actually made a little short They are $59 and would work well for you. You can see them at:

Klim Revolt

Klim Moab

They would work well. Note that they run a LITTLE small in the waist...I will call it about .5 - .75 inch.

The 2nd gen pants, the 08/09 Dakars, are a little shorter than the 2010s and would work also. They will be a tad long, so they will bunch a bit, but they will work fine. They are still available in 34s (nothing larger) and also on sale for $118. For that matter, the 2010s will work also, they will just be long.

On the inner knees, leather was popular, then Clarino and Schoeller Kevlar got popular, then back to leather. Most companies have been using leather for a while, Klim finally got with the program. I don't think Lorica is suitable, I am fairly sure it will melt .

I don't know precisely if any dealers in the Bay Area carry their stuff, sorry.

Most of the brands release their new gear in Sept so the sale stuff is coming out now.

Hope that helps, and thanks again.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Old 08-16-2009, 12:40 PM   #55
Django Loco
Banned

Oddometer: 3,785
Thanks much for the info! I will check these out! Being I'm a "funny" size these days, I generally like to see stuff in person and try it on. I think Scuderia West (KTM, Aprilia) a local San Francisco dealer, may carry Klim products. '

Thanks again for the detailed response and links!
Django Loco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 03:08 PM   #56
Giuseppe
Medium-Viz

Oddometer: 469
Sizing Question

BP,

I noticed on your size chart that the size 34 pants measue 33.0" with the waist adjusters open. Does this mean that if you have a 34" waist, you will always be using stretch panel in the back of the waistband to get that extra inch?

I wear a size 34 in most pants (tighter in some than others... ). In the Mojaves, would you recommend I try the 34's or move up to a 36? Thanks!

................WAIST.........WAIST
SIZE..........STATIC......STRETCHED.........OUTSEA M
32..............30.5.............34.0............. ......41
34..............33.0.............36.0............. ......42.5
36..............35.25...........38.0.............. .....43.25
38..............36.5.............40.0............. ......44.25
40..............39.0.............42.0............. ......44.5

Spec notes:

- We follow industry standard practice of measuring 2x.
- Waist measured with zip closed, front closure snapped, but waist side adjusters OPEN.
Giuseppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 03:49 PM   #57
Brtp4 OP
Yea, its a friggin L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe
BP,

I noticed on your size chart that the size 34 pants measue 33.0" with the waist adjusters open. Does this mean that if you have a 34" waist, you will always be using stretch panel in the back of the waistband to get that extra inch?

I wear a size 34 in most pants (tighter in some than others... ). In the Mojaves, would you recommend I try the 34's or move up to a 36? Thanks!

................WAIST.........WAIST
SIZE..........STATIC......STRETCHED.........OUTSEA M
32..............30.5.............34.0............. ......41
34..............33.0.............36.0............. ......42.5
36..............35.25...........38.0.............. .....43.25
38..............36.5.............40.0............. ......44.25
40..............39.0.............42.0............. ......44.5

Spec notes:

- We follow industry standard practice of measuring 2x.
- Waist measured with zip closed, front closure snapped, but waist side adjusters OPEN.
Yes, that is what it means. Basically, the elastic in the waist panel allows the pant to expand larger (via the stretch) in addition to smaller (via the waist adjusters). Note that the elastic is firm, but not so firm that the waist would be uncomfortable. Also, it is in the center back, a better location than the sides.

This is a really good feature, it makes them easier to fit, and also to wear w/ or w/o padded shorts, kidney belts, thicker jerseys, etc.

Based on the fact that you wear a 34 in other pants, get a 34 in these. Unless you are waaaay off from your real waist spec (very unlikely) a 36 will be much too large.

34s.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Old 08-17-2009, 07:32 PM   #58
Giuseppe
Medium-Viz

Oddometer: 469
Quote:
Based on the fact that you wear a 34 in other pants, get a 34 in these. Unless you are waaaay off from your real waist spec (very unlikely) a 36 will be much too large.

34s.

BP
Excellent. And in 41 minutes, no less! Thanks!
Giuseppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 01:59 PM   #59
dwf
2007 R1200GS Adventure

Oddometer: 741
BP--I'm considering the Dakars. I currently have Aerostich Dariens which I do not find particularly comfortable. Is the material comparable between the two in terms of abrasion resistance. Also, are there more substantial pads that you know of that could be used with the Dakars. Most of my riding is on the street. Thanks!
dwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 02:50 PM   #60
Brtp4 OP
Yea, its a friggin L

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwf
BP--I'm considering the Dakars. I currently have Aerostich Dariens which I do not find particularly comfortable. Is the material comparable between the two in terms of abrasion resistance. Also, are there more substantial pads that you know of that could be used with the Dakars. Most of my riding is on the street. Thanks!
Hello DWF, thanks for the post.

They are not comparable with the Dariens. I know many people offer T+A (testimonials and anecdotes - not the other T+A) about these, and I am glad that people have good experiences. But the simple fact is that street pants are better designed for street crashing, and that the fabric used on off road pants is not as good for prolonged abrasion. Period.

There is also a relative way of looking at this: IF you are going to use off road pants, then these are probably the best ones to use. They use Cordura, which generally speaking has better fiber strength for abrasion, burst, and heat. They have a smooth surface, which usually improves performance in a crash (lower coefficient of friction = less wear). But they are designed for off road.

As one of very few people who have actually studied this topic, there is a lot of mis-information out there. That is not to say ignorance, but there is little actual data, so anecdotes and manufacturers claims carry more weight than they should. Heck, I spent years on this and I have huge gaps in my knowledge.

The other issue that breeds misunderstanding is context. Context is everything in understanding crashworthiness. A great example is fabric denier: 1000 denier must be 2x as strong as 500 denier, right? Not right. First, the larger the fiber, the greater the friction. The less fibers per square inch. The greater the chance of burst. Plus, not all fibers, regardless of denier, are equal. Once, when doing SFI certification for a karting suit, we found that a cheap nylon twill performed better on SFIs belt test than several (expensive) Corduras. The reason? It was so smooth, it slid better.

There is one generalization that you can make that is mostly universal: more layers of fabric = better protection. In other words, 2 layers of 500 Denier fabric perform MUCH better than 1 layer of 1000. Keep that in mind.

Sorry for the rant, but I really wanted to get that out. As far as your question, the Dariens will be better. BUT....in a relative sense, these are better than almost any other lightweight $160 pant out there. In context, these are quite good.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR