Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2009, 03:56 PM   #61
dwf
2007 R1200GS Adventure

Oddometer: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brtp4
Hello DWF, thanks for the post.

They are not comparable with the Dariens. I know many people offer T+A (testimonials and anecdotes - not the other T+A) about these, and I am glad that people have good experiences. But the simple fact is that street pants are better designed for street crashing, and that the fabric used on off road pants is not as good for prolonged abrasion. Period.

There is also a relative way of looking at this: IF you are going to use off road pants, then these are probably the best ones to use. They use Cordura, which generally speaking has better fiber strength for abrasion, burst, and heat. They have a smooth surface, which usually improves performance in a crash (lower coefficient of friction = less wear). But they are designed for off road.

As one of very few people who have actually studied this topic, there is a lot of mis-information out there. That is not to say ignorance, but there is little actual data, so anecdotes and manufacturers claims carry more weight than they should. Heck, I spent years on this and I have huge gaps in my knowledge.

The other issue that breeds misunderstanding is context. Context is everything in understanding crashworthiness. A great example is fabric denier: 1000 denier must be 2x as strong as 500 denier, right? Not right. First, the larger the fiber, the greater the friction. The less fibers per square inch. The greater the chance of burst. Plus, not all fibers, regardless of denier, are equal. Once, when doing SFI certification for a karting suit, we found that a cheap nylon twill performed better on SFIs belt test than several (expensive) Corduras. The reason? It was so smooth, it slid better.

There is one generalization that you can make that is mostly universal: more layers of fabric = better protection. In other words, 2 layers of 500 Denier fabric perform MUCH better than 1 layer of 1000. Keep that in mind.

Sorry for the rant, but I really wanted to get that out. As far as your question, the Dariens will be better. BUT....in a relative sense, these are better than almost any other lightweight $160 pant out there. In context, these are quite good.

BP
Thank you for the very thorough and honest explanation. Very helpful.
dwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 11:07 AM   #62
Frgich
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
I must comment on the thread, because Brian is such man that will go in lenght to make the customer happy. I wont get in details, but I ordered a pair of Dakar 2009 for my girlfriend(she doesnt like to new colour scheme ) and Brian was extreamly helpfull and answered all questions the same hour or day.
That customer service is very hard to find these days, and I wish Brian to continue with the great business that he runs, and will write here when the pants arrive again here in Croatia,

Brian take care and thanks again,

regards,
Dubravko
Old 09-03-2009, 04:15 AM   #63
Frgich
Studly Adventurer

Got the pants, they're in Florida now, and will be shipped to Croatia very soon

Thanks again Brian, you're the man,

ride on
Old 09-13-2009, 02:51 PM   #64
StroupDog
Shut-it Beotch

Oddometer: 196
Hey Brian, I see the word is getting out on you. Small world. Thanks for the tip on the Honda jacket! I bought it and it was just what I was looking for. I appreciate your honesty and knowledge. Now if I can just find some road pants to go with it. Best regards.

Mini-GiantLoop-09 RR

Jims BigAss road trip

"Living life one day at a time".
StroupDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 07:17 PM   #65
Giuseppe
Medium-Viz

Oddometer: 469
Quote:
Yes, that is what it means. Basically, the elastic in the waist panel allows the pant to expand larger (via the stretch) in addition to smaller (via the waist adjusters). Note that the elastic is firm, but not so firm that the waist would be uncomfortable. Also, it is in the center back, a better location than the sides.

This is a really good feature, it makes them easier to fit, and also to wear w/ or w/o padded shorts, kidney belts, thicker jerseys, etc.

Based on the fact that you wear a 34 in other pants, get a 34 in these. Unless you are waaaay off from your real waist spec (very unlikely) a 36 will be much too large.

34s.

BP
Following up on my earlier sizing question: I ordered the Mojave pants in a 34 and the fit is spot on, with just enough room for adjustment up or down. I also wanted to let you know how impressed I am with these pants. I was a little worried that I’d be giving up some protection going from street pants to “dirt” pants but, man, these things are stout! The quality is top-notch and the fit is perfect. I’m upgrading the knee and hip pads with some Forcefield armor. But, otherwise, the pants are fantastic. I’ll be wearing them for two weeks non-stop during Enduro India in January and I’ll let you know how they hold up!
Giuseppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 01:02 AM   #66
Frgich
Studly Adventurer

Got the pants in the mail yesterday and they fit like a glove.

Thanks Brian, all the best to your business
Old 09-29-2009, 12:27 PM   #67
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...

Oddometer: 4,720
Just a quick post about the exceptional customer service I received from Atomic-moto....
'Berg 570..Trail Beast
Nowwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 01:46 PM   #68
ydag
Dude

Oddometer: 10
Hey BP - Love the new pants; thanks for the help getting everything squared away!

BTW - Do those AXO Dart Boots you have run small or large? I want to avoid the size snafu this time around (sorry for the hijack).

DG

03 640 ADV
06 DRZ 400
ydag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 08:30 AM   #69
Brtp4 OP
Do what you love.

Oddometer: 1,966
Dakar Availability becoming Limited

Klim Dakar Pant Availability becoming limited

While checking Klim recently to place a reorder for our stock, we spotted that they are running out of these - and they will not get their next order until DECEMBER 20. Klim USA is already sold out of several of the tall sizes, black is gone is sizes 34, 36, 36, and 40, and several other size/colors are gone also.

Atomic Moto stocked up on Klim Dakars in all sizes as much as we could, and have good inventory on everything except a few tall sizes. However, once our stock is out, we will be metaphorically out of gas.

Once again, Klim USA says they are not getting more stock until December 20. Klim has said they apologize for the inconvenience.

If you want a pair of these before Christmas, it would be a good idea to do it soon!

Check them out at www.atomic-moto.com/klim2010.

Thanks,
BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR

Brtp4 screwed with this post 10-17-2009 at 08:36 AM
Brtp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 12:57 PM   #70
brad21
Farting in a Fan

Oddometer: 3,556
Get your Dakar's now! I just rode about 500 miles over the past 4 days in mine and they are THE BOMB! (I even tried to burn them on my pipe!)

Thanks Brian, AtomicMoto never disappoints!

BRC Member #49252 JOIN TODAY! https://www.sharetrails.org/support/join-or-contribute
brad21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 07:23 PM   #71
kaosrider
Studly Adventurer

Hey Brian thanks for the phone call and great service.
kaosrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:12 PM   #72
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...

Oddometer: 4,720
Brian went to great lengths to get me my Dakars....

Then I crashed and tore them all to hell... ....come on December...
'Berg 570..Trail Beast
Nowwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 11:39 AM   #73
matloik
kludge

Oddometer: 1,229
Hey there, BP. Having read through this thread, I'm quite certain a 34 regular is the size for me. However, I'm still hesitant ordering pants online, as I have a pretty low hit rate as far as fit -- perhaps I'm more particular than most, I really hate crotch sag. I'm not sure there's much more you can say about the fit of these pants ... But I was wondering (didn't see on your website) if you have anything akin to a storefront there in Bend, where I could stop by and try some gear on. Eh?
Old 10-23-2009, 12:23 PM   #74
Brtp4 OP
Do what you love.

Oddometer: 1,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by matloik
Hey there, BP. Having read through this thread, I'm quite certain a 34 regular is the size for me. However, I'm still hesitant ordering pants online, as I have a pretty low hit rate as far as fit -- perhaps I'm more particular than most, I really hate crotch sag. I'm not sure there's much more you can say about the fit of these pants ... But I was wondering (didn't see on your website) if you have anything akin to a storefront there in Bend, where I could stop by and try some gear on. Eh?
Eh? Yes, we do. It will be a long drive for you, and more expensive for fuel than shipping. Remember, no like, no keep - send 'em back. But, you say jump and we say...how high? You can visit us at our NEW shop at 1458 NW College Way, Bend, OR 97701.

On another note, what color are you looking for? 34s are getting lean, and Klim is old out of some colors (we are good though).

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Brtp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 12:50 PM   #75
matloik
kludge

Oddometer: 1,229
Quote:
Eh? Yes, we do. It will be a long drive for you, and more expensive for fuel than shipping. Remember, no like, no keep - send 'em back. But, you say jump and we say...how high? You can visit us at our NEW shop at 1458 NW College Way, Bend, OR 97701.

On another note, what color are you looking for? 34s are getting lean, and Klim is old out of some colors (we are good though).

BP
Thanks! I'm down there in Bend somewhat frequently. I'll stop by next time in town. I'll assume somewhat standard moto shop hours (open Saturdays, closed Sundays) unless you inform otherwise. Am I missing where on your website you have info about the store?