User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2009, 05:33 PM   #1
rbuswell OP
n00b

Oddometer: 5
2009 g650gs stalling problems

Went on a 170 mile ride last weekend. Within 1/2 mile of my house my nearly brand new bike (1400 miles) suddenly dies on a blind corner with no shoulder. Lucky it was right near a house and I could use their overly steep driveway to stash my bike while I walked home to get truck.

Mechanic says they were looking at a fuel sensor short and possibly fuel injection problems. This is a new bike that cost $8000. Is the second breakdown the first being kickstand shut off sensor going down.

Any ideas on the stalling? Know there is alot of issues with older bikes but how about the 09's.

Think I made a mistake on bike selection. Grew up riding Yamaha's with no problems, other than the ones I created.
rbuswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 05:45 PM   #2
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,370
My F800gs STALLS LIKE ITS RUNNING OUT OF GAS! PLEASE HELP!!
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=420546
2012 Dong Fang DF250RTB
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 08:18 AM   #3
satur9
angry black guy

Oddometer: 435
its the same as the g650x bikes and theres tons of info about them stalling on here. from battery to ignition switch ,pulse generator, evap canister, vent hose ,improper startup procedure, etc. there was a recall about fuel pump wiring on g650x. though it should all be taken care of.theres only 1 injectors and injectors are easy ro check. good luck.
satur9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 02:17 PM   #4
lbbmwtech
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
It will most likely be the fuel pump. We've seen a few of these on the new bikes. If it is the fuel pump there will be a fault in the bms-c for high voltage to the fuel pump.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:23 PM   #5
higgo72
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Re: Stalling problems

Bought myself a new 2009 G650GS as well and have just ridden 6200kms on it and experienced the same problems (along with a shitload of others including numerous items falling off or failing to work).

After getting the bike back from corrective surgery, BMW's explanation (or excuse) was that the stalling was due to the throttle being slightly open when the engine was started. Now I'm paraphrasing what was said to me by the mechanic so my apologies if my terms are a bit vague or inexact but apparently the engine mapping software then checks (and resets if necessary) itself at startup. If the throttle is slightly open, particularly if the engine is being revved, then the engine notes that the RPM's are too high and, taking this as a starting engine speed, it then adjusts the engine RPM's downwards.

I can't put my finger on it (since I'm not a mechanic) but something about this explanation doesn't seem quite right to me.
I'm thinking the bike is a cafe racer rather than a real enduro - not very impressed.

JH

higgo72 screwed with this post 08-10-2009 at 04:13 PM
higgo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 05:47 PM   #6
michiganstromrider
clunker

Oddometer: 18
G650 GS Problems here too

Also just bought a 2009 G650GS for my girlfriend. Less than 200 miles on it. Already had a battery failure that stranded me and now dealing with hesitation problems. I am also not happy with the level of vibration at the bars and the seat. The high compression single banger is a vibrator on steroids. Another thing I notice even with the new battery is that the battery seems to be inadequate. The starter labors like its starved for amps to sufficiently crank the engine. Another thing I don't like is the way the seat leans towards the tank.

I should have done more homework before I bought this bike. It's no ones fault but my own that I'm unhappy. I guess I trusted BMW too much. I'll likely take my loss and part with this bike soon.
michiganstromrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 08:22 AM   #7
Davidc83
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 449
g650gs

I have had g650gs for 15 months. I bought it new in April 2009. I have not had any problems which I have seen others post. I have had no problems with it at all. Yes, it vibrates, but not more than expected in a thumper. Yes the seat is canted toward the tank; however, I have never had a comfortable OEM seat on any bike I have owned. I bought a Corbin for the beemer, placed a sheepskin cover on it and it is very comfortable now.

Occasionaly it runs rough, but I attribute that to gas: it does not like gasohol or RFG (which all RFG is now gasohol).

Most bikes have battery issues if they are constantly ridden at low city speeds. I have 3 bikes, a 250cc, the g650gs and the Suzuki C50. At 35mph or less, the charging system does not charge the battery, and if you have any other electrical devices connected, the battery is drained if riding under 35mph (note this on all the motorcycle forums I am on).

On FI bikes, dont touch the throttle while starting. Turn the key, and push the start button: dont rev the engine until the idle lowers (about 30 seconds on my bikes). My Jeep has FI and I have to keep my foot off the gas pedal when starting, it idles rough and cranks more if I touch the gas pedal while starting.
Davidc83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 01:24 PM   #8
The Jester
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by higgo72

After getting the bike back from corrective surgery, BMW's explanation (or excuse) was that the stalling was due to the throttle being slightly open when the engine was started. Now I'm paraphrasing what was said to me by the mechanic so my apologies if my terms are a bit vague or inexact but apparently the engine mapping software then checks (and resets if necessary) itself at startup. If the throttle is slightly open, particularly if the engine is being revved, then the engine notes that the RPM's are too high and, taking this as a starting engine speed, it then adjusts the engine RPM's downwards.

I can't put my finger on it (since I'm not a mechanic) but something about this explanation doesn't seem quite right to me.

JH
Your mechanic was correct. When you turn the ignition on (or push the kill switch to turn the bike back on) the red oil light on the dash flashes for a second or 2. This indicates the calibration procedure. Don't touch the throttle or starter until the light stops flashing. If the throttle is opened it will set this as the throttle position for idling. Close the throttle and you have no idle. Done this a couple of times when I have been in a hurry. Turn off, then on again, and it all comes back to normal. This is with my Xchallenge but your Ggs will be the same.

2 years ago I went to the Pyrenees on my old air-cooled rotax engined CCM. When I got there the bike was running sick as a pig due to the altitude change (sea level - 2500m). Dropping the needle would have helped and would not have taken long, but I put up with it for a few days.

Last year I took my Xchallenge down while my mate had his DRZs. Again the carbed bike was running like a dog in the mountains. The only difference I noticed was fuel consumption going from 70 to 85 mpg as the bike leaned it out to compensate for thinner air. At sea level the DRZ used at least 10% more fuel at every fill, in the mountains the difference was even greater, despite the Xchallenge having an extra 250cc. I can cope with that.

Yes, if the electronics go wrong a FI bike is a PITA, particularly if it shuts down in the middle of nowhere, whereas a carbed bike might let you limp home. The price of progress. However Colebatch has over 40k miles on his Xch, most of it in the wilds of Siberia. If a bike can do that, I'm happy to take my chance on it.

The Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:37 AM   #9
MoDoc
***oc

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbuswell View Post
Went on a 170 mile ride last weekend. Within 1/2 mile of my house my nearly brand new bike (1400 miles) suddenly dies on a blind corner with no shoulder. Lucky it was right near a house and I could use their overly steep driveway to stash my bike while I walked home to get truck.

Mechanic says they were looking at a fuel sensor short and possibly fuel injection problems. This is a new bike that cost $8000. Is the second breakdown the first being kickstand shut off sensor going down.

Any ideas on the stalling? Know there is alot of issues with older bikes but how about the 09's.

Think I made a mistake on bike selection. Grew up riding Yamaha's with no problems, other than the ones I created.
I too have '09. Bought it as a demo with 1k miles. My issues started with not starting after gas-up (4x). Then stalling issues. Took it BMW dealer service. Said I was 4 revs behind on the computer. Did the 12k maint. & re flash the computer. Took bike home & 2 days later it stalls on way home from work (3x in 6 miles).
Got home, called them, jetted back down to service. They have had it 3 weeks & cannot duplicate any of my issues. Talked extensively with BMW Techs. Take possession today with it in writing that BMW "will consider my past issues when dealing with this particular bike in the future". Also, stated that "I must change my tendencies I.e.
Always-
Turn ignition key on and wait at least 5 seconds before pressing the start button [already doing that]
Press start button ( while not touching the trottle) [already doing that] and hold the start button until the engine has started and is idling [wasn't doing that]
Do not use fuel that is knowingly more than 10% ethanol (alcohol)
Additionally, the service manager suggested carrying with me a bottle of non-alcohol based gas treatment to prevent using "bad gas" and/or gas with too much ethanol in it.
Long story short- I'm taking the pick and driving the out of it. If I have one more of these problems, I'm switching to a STROM. and bottom line, BMW knows there are issues with this but are not definitive in their fix(s)
Old 04-08-2012, 12:30 PM   #10
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 2,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoDoc View Post
I too have '09. Bought it as a demo with 1k miles. My issues started with not starting after gas-up (4x). Then stalling issues. Took it BMW dealer service. Said I was 4 revs behind on the computer. Did the 12k maint. & re flash the computer. Took bike home & 2 days later it stalls on way home from work (3x in 6 miles).
Got home, called them, jetted back down to service. They have had it 3 weeks & cannot duplicate any of my issues. Talked extensively with BMW Techs. Take possession today with it in writing that BMW "will consider my past issues when dealing with this particular bike in the future". Also, stated that "I must change my tendencies I.e.
Always-
Turn ignition key on and wait at least 5 seconds before pressing the start button [already doing that]
Press start button ( while not touching the trottle) [already doing that] and hold the start button until the engine has started and is idling [wasn't doing that]
Do not use fuel that is knowingly more than 10% ethanol (alcohol)
Additionally, the service manager suggested carrying with me a bottle of non-alcohol based gas treatment to prevent using "bad gas" and/or gas with too much ethanol in it.
Long story short- I'm taking the pick and driving the out of it. If I have one more of these problems, I'm switching to a STROM. and bottom line, BMW knows there are issues with this but are not definitive in their fix(s)
Had the same kind of problems after refilling it with e-10 thingy. The strange thing it didn't do that at all for one year, then I had my 2nd checkup at 10000km and I had some issued but they vanished. Now I had my 20.000 service... Bike didn't wan't to restart (they change the petrol filter) after refilling it with e-10. I tried to start it again untill my battery died... Had to push if for 3kms with 28C outside ATGATT... Was living hell. bottom line of the story I won't ever try this -10 ethanol ever again with this bike.

(and btw I mentionned it several times to the dealer but he didn't knew where it could come from.)

R1150GSA SE

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:53 AM   #11
Axel F
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Re the hot start issue BMW have made an official statement apparently reading f650.co.uk. The new fix is out and I have mine booked in at Williams Manchester, UK to get it sorted.

Looks like BMW believe they have a permanent cure for the problem.

It involves a re-engineering of the balance weight that fits on the end of the exhaust camshaft and serves (during starting) to lift an exhaust valve to lower compression and allow the engine to spin over.

The new part is somewhat longer than the original and will have a new part number. This part was due in the dealers at week 11. That's been and gone now so should be available
Axel F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:26 PM   #12
MoDoc
***oc

Oddometer: 21
Mine has had stalls

I have 2009. Have had progressive stalling AND non starts after refueling. Heres what BMW told me (thru dealer serviced)-
USE THIS SPECIFIC STARTING PROCEDURE
Turn key to on
Wait for at least 3 seconds or until lights go out on dash
Push and hold start button (DO NOT TOUCH THE THROTTLE) until the bike has started and is idling, then release
Use only E10 gas (no E15 or mom/pop gas stations, they can dilute the gas further plus their tanks don't get turned over as often (more moisture infiltration)))
Additionally, the dealer service manager said to buy some non-alcohol gas treatment and use it every time you gas up to guard against "bad gas"

Failure to hold the start button long enough will result in the computer sensing a kick back event and it will shut the ignition system down. Resetting by turning key off then on, then rerun the start procedure.

This is what BMW told me.

MoDoc screwed with this post 04-10-2012 at 05:27 PM Reason: Spelling
MoDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:50 PM   #13
nunofduarte
n00b

Cry What about the older ones?

Hi everybody!
I bought a 2000 F650GS last year (near 69.000kms now).
I'm the 3rd owner.
And it's my first bike.
When I bought her she looked okay, not new, of course, but not in bad shape - as far as I and a friend who went with me to see her, could tell.
After a few rides I found out that she had a few problems, one of which was stalling while running.
Until last weekend this was a minor problem and had only happened while stopped on traffic lights or when parking.
But this time it happened in the middle of a traffic jam, and I was with my wife.
I took her to the mechanic (not a BMW representative) and am waiting for him to say what's wrong/how it can be fixed.
The thing is I once took her to a BMW dealer (perhaps the first time I had a problem with her) and they told me she had the intake valves clogged (whatever that means - I am no mechanic or engineer) and that would become a serious problem in the near future.
I think the near future has arrived.
What do you think? Do you think this is related to what you are all talking about?

Cheers,
Nuno
nunofduarte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:37 PM   #14
Baron650
650x2

Oddometer: 103
This probably came up in a search, but it seems like you have an older single cylinder F650GS.
I had a '97, there was always good info over at the Chain Gang-
http://faq.f650.com/main.html
Baron650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 03:55 PM   #15
nunofduarte
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron650 View Post
This probably came up in a search, but it seems like you have an older single cylinder F650GS.
I had a '97, there was always good info over at the Chain Gang-
http://faq.f650.com/main.html
Thanks!

(as the thread was about the G650GS, which to my knowledge is single cylinder, I thought the problems could be the same)
nunofduarte is offline   Reply With Quote