ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2009, 07:08 PM   #61
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,637
Don't count on me tomorrow, looks like r r r.
2012 Dong Fang DF250RTB
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 08:37 PM   #62
BC61
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,100
looks like I'm gong to only make Saturday. will you be staring at 8 on Sat?
BC61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 07:04 AM   #63
Kwacker2
Tamiecide practitioner

Oddometer: 4
Well I tried to make it. I did make it to Murphy @ 9:00 pm and from there the GPS took me on a 1 lane gravel road through Cherokee Nat Forest. Wound up on a Jeep trail with a 2 wheel drive F 150 with trailer in tow. Long story short, trailer bounced the bike out the back and wrecked it without me ever unloading it. How's that for innovation.

Made my way out to the other side around 11:30 and found Tellico, turned around and headed to Robbinsville but it was raining so hard on the Cherohala that I couldn't do more than about 25 mph. Finally gave up and crashed in the truck at 1:30 am. When I woke up I headed to Wheelers hoping to get a tail light lens and still make the ride but he still hadn't shown up by 9:15 so I just headed to Knoxville to visit a friend.

Maybe next time.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:29 AM   #64
Tellico Camper
Serving since lunch

Oddometer: 356
Wow, Kwacker...Sorry for the mishap. Next time the beer is on me for the effort! I hate to rub salt into the open wound, but we had best time on Friday's ride. Roughly 180 miles under the tires and the only rain we saw all day was at about 6pm on our way back from down town Murphy. We got wet for about 5 minutes. It rained while we were at camp later that evening and Sat. was perfect for the other 201 miles of riding. Kevin, has the 280 pics for the ride report and they don't do it justice. Kevin, you did a great job with the ride and I just wanted to thank you for letting me tag along. Also a big thanks to Mini Mike for the free t-shirts. Jane, you are a super rider...anytime you want to ride you are welcome. I rate the "Screaming Beaver" ...
Old 08-23-2009, 10:58 AM   #65
simpson
wild rover of hell

Oddometer: 510
Hey guys, I made it home. I had a great time and look forward to it again.
simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 10:06 AM   #66
HelenWheels
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellico Camper
Wow, Kwacker...Sorry for the mishap. Next time the beer is on me for the effort! I hate to rub salt into the open wound, but we had best time on Friday's ride. Roughly 180 miles under the tires and the only rain we saw all day was at about 6pm on our way back from down town Murphy. We got wet for about 5 minutes. It rained while we were at camp later that evening and Sat. was perfect for the other 201 miles of riding. Kevin, has the 280 pics for the ride report and they don't do it justice. Kevin, you did a great job with the ride and I just wanted to thank you for letting me tag along. Also a big thanks to Mini Mike for the free t-shirts. Jane, you are a super rider...anytime you want to ride you are welcome. I rate the "Screaming Beaver" ...
Thanks Danny - I agree, it was a great ride! If I was a little younger I'd be laughing at being the only female on a ride of that name. Or you may have just named my little 225, cause it was definately screaming to keep up with y'all. I'm still grinnin.....

Jane
HelenWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 12:58 PM   #67
Tellico Camper
Serving since lunch

Oddometer: 356
Kevin,
I tried to locate some reliable info on the Aztec Ruins and Doc Roger's Insane Asylum. Nether seems to exsist...eventhough we know they are there. Sounds like a case for the X-files.
Old 08-25-2009, 02:22 PM   #68
BC61
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,100
Thanks for letting me tag along, had a great time!
BC61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 04:33 PM   #69
Mike Honcho OP
Got Beaver?

Oddometer: 2,342
Sorry for the late reply but I have been covered up with work this week. I have a "few" pictures to post so please bear with me. I hope to have them up in the next day or two!

Edit-Just a taste of whats to come:

Mike Honcho screwed with this post 08-25-2009 at 05:42 PM
Mike Honcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 06:29 PM   #70
Willy-B
onebudwiser

Oddometer: 7,804
Awesome!!!

My theory, you only get one chance, go full fucking throttle, all the way, all the time.-Trip
Willy-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:02 PM   #71
simpson
wild rover of hell

Oddometer: 510
Here's a few of my pics from the weekend.

All of my pics of this place kept turning dark for some reason.

The carnage.

The flat.

simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 01:50 PM   #72
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,895
Nice pics Simpson. I can tell exactly where y'all rode just by looking at them. That water crossing below Appalachia Dam reminds me of the time I was talking to a TVA cop up there who said he drives his Charger Police car through it all the time. He said he'd never seen a bike do it but thought mine could make it. After fording it, I thought he was crazy for driving the Charger through there as it had recently rained.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 03:50 PM   #73
Mike Honcho OP
Got Beaver?

Finally had a chance to get work stuff put behind me. I wanted to thank everyone for coming out! It was great meeting you guys and sharing in another fantastic ride. We could not have asked for better weather. Special thanks to Danny and Blue for leading the charge all weekend. You guys are great and it is always a pleasure meeting up with you guys!!

Simpson- Those are some scweet pictures!! It looks like your travels over and back from Crawford were just as good as the ride!!

On to the pictures!!!!!

Friday Morning- We had a good bit of rain fall the night before and it really helped keep the dust down. We were headed out by 8:30. Destination unknown... at least by most.

First stop of the day took us high up into the mountains.. fog abounded!

Riders who joined us for Friday only....
Jane rocking the XT225 (I wish I was on her bike instead of the BRP.... you will see in a bit why....)

The Trusty steed..

Blue's brother, Vaughn (on the right) made it out.. around 65 years of age and he is still rocking two wheels....

The trusty steed... NX250...

I told Vaughn if he did not keep the front tire on the ground he was going to tear this thing up! LOL (J/K) He did loose the "third eye" off the front...

Onto the leaders for the trip...

Tellico Camper a.k.a. Danny's DRZ400....

Blue's 80K mile BRP

Pisgarider's scweet KTM.... It was spotless before the weekend. LOL

A quick stop at Bald Buck.....Left to right... Blue, Tellico Camper, Vaugn, Jane and Pisgarider
Old 08-27-2009, 04:11 PM   #74
Mike Honcho OP
Got Beaver?

Various shots from the day trip through.. well.. hell I have no idea but is was gorgeous!!

A few action shots.....
Jane in action....

Pisgarider....

Blue rocking the BRP....

Were did Blue go? He rides that BRP....

At some point in the trip we were all following Blue and he leads us up this dirt rode. We all gather on one side of a huge ditch. Now the trail goes straight and there is another trail to the left. Now the trial to the left is through this huge ditch and I am thinking we are going straight.... Blue takes off and goes left. I shuffle in third in line behind Tellico Camper. Down the hill and then WOFT to the top of the other side. 3/4 of the way up there is a huge washed out ditch! SH** I just missed it. Jane was behind me so I pointed her to the safe side.... pisgarider got a little tangled in it but made it out alive.

Now here is were it gets interesting.... Blue says "You guys ready?" and darts off up this hill side trial. I am third in line, trail bears to the left up a slight up hill grade than hard right and UP THIS HOLY CRAP!!!! HILL! Rocks abound in this area. As we make our way up Tellico Campers back tire swing out HARD to the right. All parties stop. Tellcio's tire is right on the edge of this drop off. (Mind you Blue is at the top running 80/20 tires and wondering why we are screwing around.)

TC gets his bike up and pout of the way... Jane works here trust XT up the hill. I come down the hill and Jeff shoots up it. Mind you the rock face is giving NO ONE traction.

I journeyed down a but to get a running start. Getting my BRP to hook up (with new tires) turned out to be a challenge most of the day. Here are the action shots of me coming up.....

BRAKES!!!!!

My front tire ended up in the same location as TC's back tire... right on the edge of the....
Old 08-27-2009, 04:23 PM   #75
Mike Honcho OP
Got Beaver?

All bikes finally make it over the nasty section of trail and Blue advises us that "that section is the worst". We continue up this hill (I swear I passed a mountain goat with a strange look on his face.....) and finally crest the top. I think how nice it will be to stroll down the other side.. airing off my..... aww..... crap.... tree down and she ain't moving!! All riders dismount and the only way to the other side is up and over. Height was not appropriate to pull the front tire over the fallen trees... we had to carry each one over one at a time.....

All bikes make it over and we are on our way. The rest of the day was filled with some great riding and great sights. We rolled in a little after 6:30pm. Mercer Man and Simpson made it in when we arrived. A few , a tasty meal and I was lights out! Mileage for the day was around 189 I believe. I would need my rest as the next day would hold even more miles and smiles.