ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2009, 05:25 PM   #76
Mike Honcho OP
Got Beaver?

Oddometer: 2,364
More to follow.. I gotta get me some dinner. BRB
Old 08-28-2009, 07:00 AM   #77
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Honcho
I think how nice it will be to stroll down the other side.. airing off my..... aww..... crap.... tree down and she ain't moving!! All riders dismount and the only way to the other side is up and over. Height was not appropriate to pull the front tire over the fallen trees... we had to carry each one over one at a time.....

I can't believe that fallen tree is still there. We came at it from the other direction August 9 and my buddy tried to ride his 525EXC over it. He dented his Akrapovic Ti header when it got hung between the tree and front tire. Due to a lack of people to pick up the bikes, we turned around. Good to see y'all made it through that section.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 03:21 PM   #78
Mike Honcho OP
Got Beaver?

Saturday night I was awaken to a nice lighting and rain show. I had never slept in the new tent in the rain and she faired well with no leaks!!! The next morning I was out and ready to go! Fully rested I was ready to

BC61 pulled in with his Aprilla and Kendell arrived on his V-Storm! Total count for the day was 7. As the inmates stirred in the morning air... a sense of excitement was building.

BC61 "looking busy"

We waited in 9am for one more rider who did not make it. Alfredo couldn't get away for the ride. Bam... a gun shot and we are off!!

Now I was thinking of getting pictures but quite honestly the first 3 hours of the ride was...well... very sprinted. At one point I was blasting around a slight bent and BAM! a huge rock met my front tire and the chin bar of my helmet met the handle bars. This was quite honestly my favorite part of the trip. The piggy was running strong and there was plenty of roost flying. Between BC61 and I, we managed to grade a few rough spots for the county.

After the sprinted round a more leisurely pace was assumed. A trip down to the dam yielded this fine shots...

Tellico Camper rocking the water crossing...

BC61 and Simpson...

Mercer Man and pisgarider....

Kendell rocking the VStorm with Blue in tow...

The inmates at the dam....

The trip out was a bit better... Blue came around the bend and whacked the throttle... I am thinking "Oh yeah he is going to blast through
this thing!" He slowed a bit but still carried a bit through it.

Simpson making waves...

Pisgarider splashing for the camera...

Mercer Man's CLEAN DR rinsing off...

Kendell was rolling on some 90/10 and there is a fair bit of rocks under the water. I was on the bank snapping pics and scored this one...

And than....

Danny managed to pull the front tire heading out.... SCWEET...

Old 08-28-2009, 03:39 PM   #79
Mike Honcho OP
Got Beaver?

Strolling down a scweet FS road TC and I are kicking it around a corner and he slams on the brakes! We passed a must see spot.... the "Aztec Ruins" as they were dubbed. I have never seen anything like this and is almost borderline spooky!

This was rough poured concrete and the weird part is the water fall running down a poured slab. This was not poured concert like you see today, this was some old school concrete work.

The door is locked.... the zombies are probably behind there... so I think...

What is that... a lone marble... I swear it probably belonged to some little girl who only journey's out of the cave at night. TC picked up the marble and I freaked out thinking the little girl would follow us. Yes I am a bit paranormal.

A few hundred yards over we found this thing....

If anyoe has knowledge of this stuff we are dieing to know! There is a rail road track just over the hill of the last picture. Only thing we could come up with... it was a mining cave and the apprentice was used for moving the minerals they mined.

Blue said it's were the aliens landed at night....

Simpson fills me in with his a$$ slide on the FS road coming in. The bike faired well!

I have no idea where we were.....

Pavement section...

Lead us to this over look....

TC taking a picture of me taking a picture...

LUNCH!!! I am starving!!
Old 08-28-2009, 03:42 PM   #80
Mike Honcho OP
Got Beaver?

After lunch Blue had us on a 65 mile strech of gravel throuhg the NF. It was amazing and you could tell as we treked that all was getting tired with a full belly. After running what we estimated 8 lbs. of air in his back tire.... Blue ended up with a flat. I have never seen someone change out and patch a tire so fast! I think he did it a time or two.....

Story time!!!

Mercer Man pitching in a hand...

We finally hit some pavement and it was off to the gas station... am about to push this pig....

After a refuel we head over the damn on the way back to camp.... I ahve never seen this before and it was pretty cool!!!

A few shots from the ride after the damn...

And a few I left out....

To all those that made it... would ride with you any day! It was a blast and I look forward to doing it again next year. My thoughts are to have a quarterly "beaver" run each year. Hopefully we can see you again at the next one or one down the road! Thank you for all your stories and sharing in the experience! Speacial thanks to TC and Blue for leading us around!

BC61- TC and I are going to try and make the sandblast next year. Keep us posted on any news you have so we can make sure we are in attendance. Looking forward to it!!

See you guys next year!!!

Mike Honcho screwed with this post 08-28-2009 at 03:50 PM
Mike Honcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 07:45 PM   #81
Wanderer13
2009 Trail #81 Champion

Oddometer: 339
Looks like a missed a great one. Danny, keep us posted if you are planning another ride this fall. I didn't see this thread until it was too late.
Wanderer13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 09:02 PM   #82
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,382
Good thing no one rode their R12GS to the log jam across the road.
225s are nice to carry around

That castle building looks very much like an old industrial complex just south of Sewanee, TN on the old Sherwood Road.
There is an old gravel/earth road that zig zags east form the castle through the hills, past the interstate. There are so many forks you could go to KY or GA. All good directions.
Wolfgang55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 10:14 AM   #83
Merkur Man
Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
What a great ride with a bunch of great guys. It felt really good to "blow the cobwebs" out of the old DR. Its been a long time since I've ridden that "spirited" .
Thanks for posting all of the photographs Mike. I cant believe that I forgot to bring my camera with me.
Crawford's Campground was a super nice place to stay. Very secluded and their bathhouse was clean with lots of elbow room, not small and uncomfortable like most campground showers.
I would also like to thank "Blue" for his homemade campsite cobbler each night. That was some really good eating.
I'll be sure to attend the next ride.
Merkur Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 09:16 AM   #84
HelenWheels
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Great pictures guys! Thanks for posting! Where's that concrete castle y'all must have seen on the second day? And what is it? Horizons Unlimited would have been even harder to go to had I known you were gonna see something like that......

Jane
HelenWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 05:50 PM   #85
DeBandi
Exploring Alabama

Oddometer: 3,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Honcho
Strolling down a scweet FS road TC and I are kicking it around a corner and he slams on the brakes! We passed a must see spot.... the "Aztec Ruins" as they were dubbed. I have never seen anything like this and is almost borderline spooky!

This was rough poured concrete and the weird part is the water fall running down a poured slab. This was not poured concert like you see today, this was some old school concrete work.

The door is locked.... the zombies are probably behind there... so I think...

What is that... a lone marble... I swear it probably belonged to some little girl who only journey's out of the cave at night. TC picked up the marble and I freaked out thinking the little girl would follow us. Yes I am a bit paranormal.

A few hundred yards over we found this thing....

If anyoe has knowledge of this stuff we are dieing to know! There is a rail road track just over the hill of the last picture. Only thing we could come up with... it was a mining cave and the apprentice was used for moving the minerals they mined.

This should help.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=265179

Looks like you guys had a great ride...

DeBandi

Visit ExploringAlabama.net

State Oval Decals Available
DeBandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 07:39 PM   #86
Merkur Man
Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
The Ruins.

Thank's for the info Debandi.
I was wondering how I would ever be able to find that place again. Your GPS coordinates should take care of that issue.
When we were there, I was supprised at how much trash...was not there.
I think I could have picked it all up using just one trash bag. I would have thought a place like that, would be a dumping groung for sure.
Maybe its just to remote for the 4X4 red neck crowd to party at.
Anyway, A very cool place that I would recommend seeing.
And its no problem for any kind of big Adventure bike getting there.
Merkur Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 04:46 PM   #87
mb90535im
'05 R1200 GS

Oddometer: 4,965
I could have done all that on my GS. (Except it would have taken more than 3 of us to lift it over the tree).

Seriousy, looks like you all had a great time. I had an opportunity to meet and ride a little with Jane and Monte this past weekend. Great folks.
mb90535im is online now   Reply With Quote