User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2009, 08:26 AM   #1
markas OP
Small-time Explorer

Oddometer: 318
F800GS top cases

Top case is a must for everyday commuting. If you have one show it with details about mounting please. Personally , i would like a top case that does not limit my options for panniers and am a bit confused about the whole issue

markas screwed with this post 12-31-2013 at 04:54 AM
markas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 08:33 AM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,854
I have my Givi Maxia E52 mounted.. it holds a lot, is waterproof and I have added an LED kit that lights up the ENTIRE red surface, acts as a running light, brake light and turn signals.

Old 07-25-2009, 09:27 AM   #3
WOLVERINE
Keep her pinned!

Oddometer: 625
Meee Likey Likey...More pics plese gadget for different angle! Where you get it from?

2008 R1200GSA
WOLVERINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 10:13 AM   #4
markas OP
Small-time Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
I have my Givi Maxia E52 mounted.. it holds a lot, is waterproof .
Some more info about the mounting please. Givi Universal E250 Mounting plate? on what rack ? Or used a specific plate of Givi ?
Quote:
and I have added an LED kit that lights up the ENTIRE red surface, acts as a running light, brake light and turn signals
Must be cool day and night!
Old 07-25-2009, 10:45 AM   #5
Bushwhacker
Dirt, Sweat & Gears

Oddometer: 442
I have the V46 with the F800GS model specific mounting plate.

I do not have side panniers and do not know which ones are compatible. I am guessing there would be more compatibility with the 250 mounting plate since it will mount to most any rear rack.

My V46 has been thru 4 bikes. It has been dropped several times, both on its own and attached to bikes that fell over for one reason or another. It was also on my Multistrada when I totaled it about 30 miles north of the Grand Canyon North rim.

It still works great and is still water proof.

-

When you look like a rude, crude, scum sucking cretin, people tend not to ask you stupid questions!
Bushwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 01:50 PM   #6
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by markas
Some more info about the mounting please. Givi Universal E250 Mounting plate? on what rack ? Or used a specific plate of Givi ?

Must be cool day and night!
Givi makes a mounting kit for the 800GS. It's the Give E194

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/4504/723/

It comes with the mounting plate and will fit any Monokey Givi topcase. The topcase has been on 5 previous bikes. The added light kit is from Twistedthrottle, but I found out it's a Canadian company out of Alberta: www.admorelighting.com
Old 07-25-2009, 05:16 PM   #7
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,894
I went for Touratech panniers but use a BMW Vario top case for when I have to take my work equipment (cameras, computers, suit, shirt & tie etc.) with me on a trip. Works pretty good and I find the base plate makes an excellent rear rack when not using the top case.
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 06:40 PM   #8
Harry Swan
One more time

Oddometer: 1,098
Al Jesse's pizza box ...

I finally ordered this one ...

35 liters 12x15x7" Safari pizza topbox will mate with my Odessey II cases.

I've been using one of Al's over sized topbox's on my 1150 for 9 years and as much as I liked the capacity, about 60 liters I think, this one is just easier to live with. It's going to take a while though....
Old 07-25-2009, 07:37 PM   #9
M N B
would rather be riding

Oddometer: 1,123
I ride all three of my bikes without a top case while commuting. I only use a top case for long trips.

The width of most saddlebags is less than the width of your mirrors and weight up high and in back is bad riding physics compared to down low.

I don't even have a top case for my 800GS yet. I have a luggage rack that I strap a dry bag to for long trips, though. Don't feel the need for one at all.
2003 Husqvarna TE610e
1997 BMW K1100LT Special Edition
M N B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 10:43 PM   #10
markas OP
Small-time Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman
I went for Touratech panniers but use a BMW Vario top case for when I have to take my work equipment (cameras, computers, suit, shirt & tie etc.) with me on a trip. Works pretty good and I find the base plate makes an excellent rear rack when not using the top case.
About this solution the BMW dealer told me that the base of the plastic box is for the side cases also. I am looking at the Touratech zega pro panniers as a future option after installing the top box and thought that i couldn't have the plastic BMW one.
Old 07-26-2009, 01:52 AM   #11
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,846
Quote:
I have my Givi Maxia E52 mounted.. it holds a lot, is waterproof and I have added an LED kit that lights up the ENTIRE red surface, acts as a running light, brake light and turn signals.
I also have the Givi Maxia 52L case. Works fine for me even without the christmas tree lighting (click on the image for other photos on the flickr page or on my blog link - more photos there) ...

F800GS side view
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 04:48 AM   #12
CrazyMike
***42***

Oddometer: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Swan

35 liters 12x15x7" Safari pizza topbox
+1 for the Jesse pizza box.

I also have the 35L pizza box with 10" Odyssey panniers. For my tastes, it's either one or the pair. I've had my cases since this past January and I've only ridden with all three maybe once. The topcase is used for general commuting and day rides, while I use the panniers for longer, generally overnight, trips.
2009 BMW F800GS
WANTED: Kawasaki ZRX 1200R
CrazyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 07:44 AM   #13
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,894
Quote:
About this solution the BMW dealer told me that the base of the plastic box is for the side cases also. I am looking at the Touratech zega pro panniers as a future option after installing the top box and thought that i couldn't have the plastic BMW one.
Zegas and vario top case work together fine.
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 11:07 AM   #14
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyMike
+1 for the Jesse pizza box.

I also have the 35L pizza box with 10" Odyssey panniers. For my tastes, it's either one or the pair. I've had my cases since this past January and I've only ridden with all three maybe once. The topcase is used for general commuting and day rides, while I use the panniers for longer, generally overnight, trips.
Na. I use the topcase only for commute and daily stuff - a pizza box would do me no good there, as neither my (unfortunately big) laptop bagpack, nor two helmets, nor one helmet and a jacket would fit in there.

On longer trips I use an Ortlieb bag for tent, cooking stuff and sleeping pads. This wouldn't fit in the pizza box either.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 02:46 PM   #15
bxr140
Flame Bait

Oddometer: 1,041
Quote:
Top case is a must for everyday commuting. If you have one show it with details about mounting please.
+1. Top cases are a must if you commute. I commuted for years with a tank bag and, while it was certainly capable, compared to a top box it wasn't as...'full service' so to speak.

I have the Trax case which, if you're vain like me, matches the aesthetics of the GS better than the other options out there by quite a bit. The BMW adventure cases are the only ones that come close. With my tent, mat, and bag on the rear seat, there's plenty of room in the box for a weekend trip. I'm actually going to take a 7 day trip up to Canadia and back in a few weeks with that setup, though the plan is to carry only emergency food (power bars) and minimal water. Civilization works.

Mounting? Its easy to install, and there's literally no reason to ever remove it...though it does have a quick release system to it. There's a permanent plate (with slots for rock straps or the like) that bolts behind the rear seat using the grab handle bolts and the two bolts a few inches farther back. Then there's an adapter plate that mounts to the permanent plate using a tight fit (almost a press fit) and three quarter turn fasteners. The box slips into the adapter plate and latches using the same mechanism that latches the lid.

About the only downside is that its pretty expensive. $500, IIRC, when all is said and done (shipping, etc.). Oh...the other small nag is that you can't leave the locks unlocked--you can only install and remove the key when the lock is in the locked position. That means that if you have the lock installed (I typically don't have the lid lock installed), you NEED the key to get in and out.

bxr140 is offline   Reply With Quote