User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2014, 10:33 AM   #1
carfun3 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Need Help on deciding

Hey I am in the last stages of picking up a F800GS. One bike has the ESA, ASC and the other doesn't. Couple of questions. Is there that big of difference in bikes and ride? Is this really a great option? Second, can you lower the suspension if you have these options. I have had a R1200GS for 7 years and have recently sold it. I am wanting a lighter bike to play in the backroads and trails.

I am afraid it may be a little tall and am also thinking of just picking up a G650GS. I had one of these before I had the 1200. This will not be my only bike, I have other bikes for travel. This is going to be used for off road riding around the state.

Please give me your opinions
carfun3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 01:55 PM   #2
CheckerdD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,267
First regarding tall. The 800 goes down farther than the 1200 when you sit on it, so it is not so tall when loaded. Secondly I am not a friend of ESA. It locks you into a very expensive system where your going to have to rebuild shocks anyway. I got the 800 without ESA and when the stock shocks get flakey at about 25k miles, upgraded to Ohlins. They are the best thing since sliced toast as far as I am concerned. No ESA does not lower the seat height. So I say get the 800 without the ESA. The stock shocks w/o ESA are fine till they wear out. And at that time you can upgrade. My 2010 800 now has about 50k miles. Best bike I ever owned. And I have owned bikes since 1972. Dave
Old 07-21-2014, 02:18 PM   #3
carfun3 OP
Adventurer

The funny thing is, the bike that doesn't have the ESA or ASC is more expensive then the one that has the ESA and ASC. They are the same distance from me. The color of the non ESA is what I like so your comment may have tip the scales that direction. I will go up there and sit on the bike. If I can get one foot down comfortable, I will buy it. If not I may have to go to the G650GS. I will see this week
Old 07-21-2014, 02:28 PM   #4
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by carfun3 View Post
The funny thing is, the bike that doesn't have the ESA or ASC is more expensive then the one that has the ESA and ASC. They are the same distance from me. The color of the non ESA is what I like so your comment may have tip the scales that direction. I will go up there and sit on the bike. If I can get one foot down comfortable, I will buy it. If not I may have to go to the G650GS. I will see this week
F8GS will need suspension upgrade at some point (the earlier the better!). Take the one with less electronics, ASC is overrated on that 800 anyway. Wouldn't buy Ohlins except if you are +95kgs, lower than that I'd go with something like yakugar, TT, wilbers etc.

The G650GS is a great bike, my first "big bike", but at one point you'll miss the power of a twin. A thumper is great but only half a twin if you know what I mean . Even if you'll have to wait take the parallel twin. It does everything the thumper does but better and is just as easy to maintain (oil change is even easier).

R1150GSA SE

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 02:37 PM   #5
carfun3 OP
Adventurer

My concern is seat height. I have a 29 inch inseam with a 34" seat height. I owned a 1200GS for 7 years and made due but this bike, I hope to use about 80 percent off road. It is a lot harder to get a foot down when your off road. But I really like that 800GS
Old 07-21-2014, 02:40 PM   #6
ericrat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,098
I have the ESA and it isn't worth it, it just doesn't seem to do very much.

ASC works and does exactly what it says it does. I not sure I have really needed it but it is a nice safety feature especially in the dark and in the rain when you might not see a surface issue.

If the 800 is a bit tall, you might want to look at the 700 unless you really want spoked wheels.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:18 AM   #7
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by carfun3 View Post
My concern is seat height. I have a 29 inch inseam with a 34" seat height. I owned a 1200GS for 7 years and made due but this bike, I hope to use about 80 percent off road. It is a lot harder to get a foot down when your off road. But I really like that 800GS
check out if you have a problem here: http://cycle-ergo.com/

you can still buy and aftermarked low seat or if that doesn't help buy an aftermarked lowered spring / suspension, no problems only solutions

R1150GSA SE

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 03:37 AM   #8
neanderthaler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
I'm 5'4" or pushing it, maybe 5'5" and I can comfortably and safely ride my 800 with the factory low seat. 30" inseam pants are too long on me. I am used to mx/enduro bikes, so the height isn't really the problem, it is really the width of the seat and the weight when you are holding it up too far from vertical. My biggest worry is always getting OFF the bike with panniers and a bag behind me. I try not to mount/dismount on the side stand for fear of breaking the mount. I've only had the bike a couple of months, so I'll figure it out

I say, get it - and get your favorite color!
Old 07-22-2014, 10:00 AM   #9
Rgconner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 472
If on flat ground, you can mount the F7/800GS by stepping on the left foot peg to help get that leg over the back. Dismount the same way.

That works with the side stand, I have done it with a loaded for camping bike and I am 250lbs. It will not tip over.

Trying it from the right? that can tip over... don't do it.

P.S. 5'11", 29" inseam, so I feel your pain.