Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2012, 09:17 AM   #136
toowheels
on a mission...

Oddometer: 935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerfuffle View Post
Ok, time for some pics from the holidays!

One of my goals with a top box was to hold some things while riding but also to hold some of my gear while off the bike. So, I packed up what I normally ride in and headed off to my local dealer to try out some boxes. Hats off to Gulf Coast BMW for letting my stuff crap into top boxes for 20 minutes or so. I also purchased the box from them because they gave me a discount, and I like to support my local shop if they are competitive on price.

First off, I tried the Givi E55. It fits my RF1100, boots and pants with room to spare. Unfortunately, it gives the bike Sir-Mix-a-lot treatment...that butt is way too big.

After a bit of fussing, I decided on the Givi V46. Holds the helmet, boots and pants if I take the "document holder" out, but its tight. It fits a medium size backpack easily with plenty of extra room. And it looks well proportioned on the bike.

Next, on to the rack. I ordered the MOD rack and Givi mounting kit from MOD directly. The mounts bolt onto the rack easily. I needed to add a rubber bumper onto the back of the rack to prevent the case from rattling - I just used a few layers of the extra-thick vinyl electrical tape for the moment while I figure out a better solution.

The box mounts and comes off VERY easily and looks good. The extra weight wasn't really noticable. I did drop the bike riding on the beach, but that's more operator error than the bike (not that good in sand, and still on the stock Battlewings), no damage.

I'm pretty darn happy with the setup. Holds enough, looks decent enough, very easy on, off and locking. I can still use my Kriega US20 on the back of the seat for more storage if I need it and take that with me when I'm off the bike. My dealer was impressed with the MOD rack too. He wanted to know where I got it from! (Dave, you owe me a beer if they start carring your products )

Total cost was ~ $400 (rack, mounts, box, shipping, taxes), all new. There are certainly cheaper ways to do it, but this is all easy to use, well built, and fits well. Total install time was about 20 minutes, including a call to MOD about now to mount the wedge-shaped piece.

Future work: Install Admore brake / turn signal kit for the V46; acquire small pelican box (1400 or 1450) with carriage bolts for when I want a small locking box.
Thanks Kerfuffle!!

Thrilled to hear you like it!! I may have to do a trip to everyone I'll owe beers too!!
For the rubber bumpers you can go to the hardware store and get some stick on ones. You don't necessarily have to stick it on the top rack either, you can stick it on the bottom of the box instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmendieyoung
Does anyone know about the MOD plate's compatibility with Jesse racks? I like the versatility of the MOD plate for mounting a rotopax for long trips, which I would pair with a duffel bag. But for commuting/everyday use, I would prefer a smaller top box, like the Givi E33, or the bigger Shad SH40.
strongmendieyoung thanks for your interest in the MOD Top Rack! Thanks dendrophobe for answering that too!

Yes, we make spacers to fit every system out there so you get a perfect fit.

Hepco & Becker spacers left (replaces our standard rear ones), our standard spacers are the next two (rear & front respectively), Jesse spacer (replaces standard rear) and last Happy Trail/Wolfman (replaces standard front). All CNC'd alu.

Keep in mind when you're looking for a top box any Givi or Kappa Monokey is designed to fit with their mounting hardware installed (and now SW-Motech Trax too).

Feel free to ask if you have any questions.

Dave

www.motooverland.com
toowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:29 AM   #137
strongmendieyoung
KLR Lover

Oddometer: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by toowheels View Post
Thanks Kerfuffle!!

Thrilled to hear you like it!! I may have to do a trip to everyone I'll owe beers too!!
For the rubber bumpers you can go to the hardware store and get some stick on ones. You don't necessarily have to stick it on the top rack either, you can stick it on the bottom of the box instead.

strongmendieyoung thanks for your interest in the MOD Top Rack! Thanks dendrophobe for answering that too!

Yes, we make spacers to fit every system out there so you get a perfect fit.

Hepco & Becker spacers left (replaces our standard rear ones), our standard spacers are the next two (rear & front respectively), Jesse spacer (replaces standard rear) and last Happy Trail/Wolfman (replaces standard front). All CNC'd alu.

Keep in mind when you're looking for a top box any Givi or Kappa Monokey is designed to fit with their mounting hardware installed (and now SW-Motech Trax too).

Feel free to ask if you have any questions.

Dave
I think I have all the information I need now
Old 02-18-2012, 10:44 PM   #138
Britster
'Serow' Rider

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by markas View Post
About top cases....
Here is a photo without the case , just the E250 plate.

I have a Question about the GIVI E250 Mounting Plate, regarding dimensions.

I am interested to learn if the E250 could be used as a better quality replacement for the Chinese TopBox Mounting Plate that appears to be a cheap copy, with it s 2 x rear 'tongues', and it's front Mount with sloping face and a 'letter-box' opening that the catch pops into.

Can someone please confirm the distance between the center line of these 2 x rear 'tongues'.

On my Chinese copy, they seem to be 205mm (8 1/8") apart!

What is the distance from the rear upright at the back of these 'tongues' to the entrance to the 'Letter-box' opening?

On my Chinese copy, this distance seem to be 185mm (7 1/4") approx.

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/a...0&d=1327269624

Just wondering if I could use a GIVI E250 Mounting Plate, as a replacement for my Chinese version that broke when my topbox hit the ground when I fell off trying to get out of a deep muddy, narrow rut.

Alternatively could try repairing or fabricating a new Base Plate from steel, with the fingers welded or bolted on.

For the Front Mount, I was thinking I could perhaps fabricate one, from a solid metal Cube (under 1").

It does not need to be stainless steel, like I used for the rear 'tongue' brackets, it could be fabricated from an aluminum or a brass blockl

I could make it, using just a hacksaw, a drill, and files, as I don't have a milling machine.

I would drill and Tap, 2 holes in the bottom (so it does not twist), to secure with Hex Socket Head Screws.

I might even try some new Rear Brackets, fabricated from Aluminum block also.

Britster screwed with this post 02-18-2012 at 11:03 PM Reason: modified drawing
Britster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 04:23 AM   #139
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britster View Post
I might even try some new Rear Brackets, fabricated from Aluminum block also.
Why don't you just buy Givi instead? It's not that much more...
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 05:10 AM   #140
E.R.Minman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
rear spacers

Quote:
Originally Posted by markas View Post
About top cases....
I got the Kappa K53 , both for the looks and the space. It holds easily 2 full face helmets + much more. It can be used as backrest too.Top case is mounted on a Touratech stainless steel rack and on top of that is the E250 universal plate to mount the top case. Probably not for hardcore off road use , but i can take the whole thing away in under 2 Min's (secs for top only without plate) and just use the Touratech rack alone. K53 weighs 5Kg , TT rack has limit 10 kg , so it leaves 5 Kg loading limit. For commuting porpoise i need more space to store things when i stop , not while riding (like helmet , jacket), so this is perfect for me.

As you can see , the K53 does not have any red color on it.
Here is a photo without the case , just the E250 plate.

The touratech rack is compatible with the BMW side panniers , and ofc with the touratech ones. Probably with any side panniers , but not sure.
where did you get the two rear spacers to elevate the back end of that set up?
Old 07-24-2012, 09:01 PM   #141
murdock84
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 500
Could I mount a BMW Vario topcase and then install either the BMW sidecases (aluminum ones) or the the Zego Pros and not have a problem? I like the idea of being able to put my helmet in the Vario case expanded if need be, but I want to get toploading sidecases soon as well.
murdock84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 03:05 AM   #142
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by murdock84 View Post
Could I mount a BMW Vario topcase and then install either the BMW sidecases (aluminum ones) or the the Zego Pros and not have a problem? I like the idea of being able to put my helmet in the Vario case expanded if need be, but I want to get toploading sidecases soon as well.
Nothing stopping you from doing that. The top and side brackets are completely independent.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:09 PM   #143
murdock84
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 500
Thank you sir.
murdock84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:56 PM   #144
easy_rider_77
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
If anyone is interested in putting a Givi Monolock (not Monokey) topbox on their 650/800, I have a baseplate for sale.

easy_rider_77 screwed with this post 08-27-2012 at 06:35 PM
easy_rider_77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:25 AM   #145
markas OP
Small-time Explorer

Oddometer: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by erminman View Post
where did you get the two rear spacers to elevate the back end of that set up?
The touratech rack has everything it needs for perfect fit. I bought it especially for my F800GS, so it had the proper screws etc.

The universal Givi mounting kit can be placed in every rack and can hold pretty much. I have used the top box for long hours on stony or muddy dirt roads while riding 2up with the wife. It takes everything like a pro. I still have the same mounting kit + the top box and I am 100% satisfied. Still dust and water proof, still nice looking, still roomy. Money well spent if you ask me.

markas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:20 PM   #146
mefly2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,127
Quite happy with my BMW vario case & mount ... converting them both to work with R1200GS-water.
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:37 AM   #147
mhellent
n00b

Oddometer: 1
BMW Vario Box on SW Motech Alu Rack

Thanks for the wealth of information provided on this site.

I am just searching for a waterproof, solid, not so big top case to be mounted on my SW-Motech Alu Rack which is fixed to my Honda VFR. I am intrigued by the BMW Vario Box, but did not find an idea, how to mount this one on my rack. Neither BMW nor SW-Motech have advice on that.

Does anyone have experience with that combination or can give some advice? Would be highly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Regards
Markus
mhellent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:20 AM   #148
Reaver
Trade Parts for Beer

Oddometer: 2,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhellent View Post
Thanks for the wealth of information provided on this site.

Does anyone have experience with that combination or can give some advice? Would be highly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Regards
Markus
Hey Loutre, I gotta job for you here...

Markus, you'd best get a Vario rack from either a R1200GS or the F650/700/800GS . Those two versions will accept either topcase also as in 1200 rack with 800 topcase or whatever combo. That way you can use the quick release locking function. With the 800 rack, you can remove the metal backing plate to mount it slimmer or weld to it as required.

Soon as Loutre beats some GPS coords out of you we can see who's around to maybe help out.