Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2009, 03:34 PM   #16
CrazyMike
***42***

Oddometer: 899
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug
Na. I use the topcase only for commute and daily stuff - a pizza box would do me no good there, as neither my (unfortunately big) laptop bagpack, nor two helmets, nor one helmet and a jacket would fit in there.

On longer trips I use an Ortlieb bag for tent, cooking stuff and sleeping pads. This wouldn't fit in the pizza box either.
I see your point but I don't leave my helmet, jacket/pants and golves out on the m/c. I carry all of my stuff into the bldg with me. Also, I can carry a laptop, lunch and personal items in it with no problems at all.
2009 BMW F800GS
WANTED: Kawasaki ZRX 1200R
CrazyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 03:57 PM   #17
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyMike
I see your point but I don't leave my helmet, jacket/pants and golves out on the m/c. I carry all of my stuff into the bldg with me. Also, I can carry a laptop, lunch and personal items in it with no problems at all.
IF I go into a building - yes. Bet we go to street festivals, shopping, and so on on the F. And I don't want to carry the gear with me there. I've done that for a while, but overall, for me that is just too inconvenient.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 06:07 PM   #18
wordnow
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
I have my Givi Maxia E52 mounted.. it holds a lot, is waterproof and I have added an LED kit that lights up the ENTIRE red surface, acts as a running light, brake light and turn signals.

Do you have any more pictures of your setup? Like side pictures. I would like to see how your setup looks on the F800GS.
wordnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 08:55 PM   #19
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,259
I have the Givi e46 and Vario boxes on my 800 and they work well together:

Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 09:04 PM   #20
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordnow
Do you have any more pictures of your setup? Like side pictures. I would like to see how your setup looks on the F800GS.
Look at post 11, same thing.. I don't have any more pics. I might take a couple more when my camera is back home.. it's on loan right now.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:07 PM   #21
danman
tumbling tumbleweed

Oddometer: 172
Touratech Top Case

Hey Guys,

I am currently using the Touratech Top case. The small one, they have a larger one, the small one holds a full face helmet with room enough for a few other items. I had previously used this case on my 1200GS, and when I got the 800 I just moved it over to the new bike. Mounted it using the touratech locking base plate and a piece of aluminum plate I had in the spare parts bin. I mounted the aluminum plate to the 800 and then mounted the touratech base plate to it. It was pretty easy, but did take a bit of engineering. Has worked well so far. I use the top case because I don't have the side panniers yet, saving up for those, and when I get them I won't use the top case any more. I think the Jesse Panniers are the best ones for the 800, especially with the sliding mounts that they have, but I like the old school look of the Touratech panniers and will be buying those.

I was in Seattle a couple weeks ago on business and stopped Touratech HQ and tried to touch all their products. I got to look at the new Zega Pro cases and can say that they are better made and more robust than the old cases. They are riveted instead of welded and will take a hit better without busting at the seams. They are a lot like the BMW Panniers, and have the black trim on the corners, the trim can be removed if you don't like that look. They also have a real trick latching system, the top can be completely removed, or if you leave one side latched the other latch acts as a hinge, allowing you to swing the lid open-the lid stays attached on one side. it is pretty cool. I would still go with the old style cases myself, but the new ones are real slick, lots of cool features.

Here are a couple photos from a recent trip to west texas. It was a long distance 5 day trip. The tent, ground cloth, rain fly, poles, stakes, sleeping bag and air mattress are in the blue tarp, the topcase holds the Jetboil, packaged food and tools. I keep the rain gear in pouch that attaches to the lid of the topcase. I also carry a backpack for water and snack and misc. The black duffel bag holds clothes and all the misc crap I should have left at home. I over packed as usual, so repacked and eliminated the black duffel bag. The system worked well. I lash it down with d-ring straps and put a large bungee net over the whole rig, for added piece of mind and it is a great place to quickly stash a jacket or anything else you don't want to take time to pack properly.
Anyway here are the photos;
Attached Images

danman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 03:19 PM   #22
wordnow
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
Look at post 11, same thing.. I don't have any more pics. I might take a couple more when my camera is back home.. it's on loan right now.
Thanks, also did you have any problems hooking up the auxiliary lighting with the Givi to the F800GS? I'm thinking of getting the same box you have with the lights on the Givi. Any hints on how you hooked it up?
wordnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 10:10 PM   #23
innovathinker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Passenger Backrest?

Anyone try a backrest for the passenger?

I know corbin offers one: http://www.corbin.com/bmw/bmwf8gs.shtml and there is this one: http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=48324

Suggestions (other than no passenger)?
Old 09-01-2009, 09:27 PM   #24
moha
Tiflet

Oddometer: 2
skid/bash plate and engine guard looks great and seems very functional

[quote=Bushwhacker]I have the V46 with the F800GS model specific mounting plate.

I do not have side panniers and do not know which ones are compatible. I am guessing there would be more compatibility with the 250 mounting plate since it will mount to most any rear rack.

My V46 has been thru 4 bikes. It has been dropped several times, both on its own and attached to bikes that fell over for one reason or another. It was also on my Multistrada when I totaled it about 30 miles north of the Grand Canyon North rim.

It still works great and is still water proof.

-[/quote
moha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:30 PM   #25
moha
Tiflet

Oddometer: 2
[quote=moha]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushwhacker
I have the V46 with the F800GS model specific mounting plate.

I do not have side panniers and do not know which ones are compatible. I am guessing there would be more compatibility with the 250 mounting plate since it will mount to most any rear rack.

My V46 has been thru 4 bikes. It has been dropped several times, both on its own and attached to bikes that fell over for one reason or another. It was also on my Multistrada when I totaled it about 30 miles north of the Grand Canyon North rim.

It still works great and is still water proof.

-[/quote
Can you share with the manufacturer of skid/bash plate and engine guard. Thanks!
moha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:43 PM   #26
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,715
Soft Tail Bag

In keeping with my soft luggage theme... I ordered the BMW soft tail bag which is completely collapsible. My theory is that when I am traveling with full luggage I can compress it and store it. But when I have a base camp (tent or home) where I can keep my camping gear, I can load this bag with all my repair/survival/medical kit.

Here is a picture, I will upload a pictures of the real thing when it comes in on Thursday this week. And yes it does fit on the BMW vario luggage rack on the back (I did not put these on, they came from the previous owner and I will never own the vario cases).

EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:46 PM   #27
johngil
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,779
HT rack and Pelican 1550.

johngil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 01:04 AM   #28
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by moha
Can you share with the manufacturer of skid/bash plate and engine guard. Thanks!
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=383693
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 04:37 AM   #29
Bushwhacker
Dirt, Sweat & Gears

Oddometer: 442
[quote=moha]
Quote:
Originally Posted by moha
Both are Adventure-Spec.

http://www.adventure-spec.com/shop/b...rt/cat_59.html

When you look like a rude, crude, scum sucking cretin, people tend not to ask you stupid questions!
Bushwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:09 AM   #30
LewisNClark
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 971
Top Boxes

Highly recommend you minimize the weight in a top box. 9,000 miles on a F800GS without a drop. Installed top box and 20 lbs of weight and dropped the bike on first 30 min ride. Jesse's are extremely light but top box content weight can be a hazard on F8.

LewisNClark is offline   Reply With Quote