User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2009, 08:12 AM   #31
markas OP
Small-time Explorer

Oddometer: 317
About top cases....
I got the Kappa K53 , both for the looks and the space. It holds easily 2 full face helmets + much more. It can be used as backrest too.Top case is mounted on a Touratech stainless steel rack and on top of that is the E250 universal plate to mount the top case. Probably not for hardcore off road use , but i can take the whole thing away in under 2 Min's (secs for top only without plate) and just use the Touratech rack alone. K53 weighs 5Kg , TT rack has limit 10 kg , so it leaves 5 Kg loading limit. For commuting porpoise i need more space to store things when i stop , not while riding (like helmet , jacket), so this is perfect for me.

As you can see , the K53 does not have any red color on it.
Here is a photo without the case , just the E250 plate.

The touratech rack is compatible with the BMW side panniers , and ofc with the touratech ones. Probably with any side panniers , but not sure.

markas screwed with this post 02-09-2012 at 11:12 AM
markas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 11:59 PM   #32
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy-09
I'm not sure if this fits in here...
Be better here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=505900
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 06:58 AM   #33
David_S
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,130
Storm IM2400 on a homemade rack. The rack is from an old piece of aluminum I had laying around, an old stop sign or something similar would work. I found some bronze bushings at a local TSC that worked perfect as spacers. The piece of aluminum served a different purpose in a previous life hence the odd shape of it. Added a few SS fender washers inside the case to distribute the stress a bit and drilled holes in the case and plate to line up with the existing holes on the bike. An inner plate could also be added for strength. I added some bunggie buddies and a cabinet lock with a bolt for it to latch onto. I just wanted something fairly secure and waterproof (yes it's still waterproof even with all the holes. You would be amazed at the sealing ability of rtv) to store some odds & ends, camera gear etc. It won't hold a helmet but if I put a helmet in my top case I don't have room for the stuff I really want in there. I just close the top on my helmet straps and lock it if I don't feel like lugging my helmet and I also have a long cable that I can snake through all my riding gear including helmet and pad lock the cable to the bike. Not 100% theft proof but nothing is.

PS This is my first storm case. i've had pelicans in the past and like the latch system of this storm but the pelicans are definitely better made.

David_S screwed with this post 10-04-2009 at 07:04 AM
David_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 08:09 AM   #34
Harry Swan
One more time

Oddometer: 1,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_S
Storm IM2400 ...
I like the lock option. Did you add it after purchase or was it already installed at purchase?
Old 10-04-2009, 08:16 AM   #35
David_S
Beastly Adventurer

I added it. It's just a cabinet lock that they sell at homedepot. It has a a hook for the latch that rotates when the key is turned. I just installed 1/4" ss bolt for the latch to grab onto. You can see the bolt directly above the lock. It's not the greatest setup but for a few dollars plus the cost of the case I'm happy with it.
Old 10-08-2009, 04:00 PM   #36
AMERUS
Traveler

Oddometer: 59
am thinking about getting this for my bike, was thinking of just bolting it down directly through the bottom using the rear rack bolts as I won't need to take it off was wondering if anyone has done this and if this is a good idea/problems ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxr140

AMERUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 06:53 PM   #37
David_S
Beastly Adventurer

Thats pretty much what I did with the storm case. I just used the bronze bushing as spacers in the back two holes to match up with the rear rack which will be the front two mounting points. The aluminum plate was just for extra stiffness in the bottom since the case is just plastic I didn't want the bolts pulling through. I don't take it off but it's only 4 bolts if i need to.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:12 PM   #38
eastcoastzigzag
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 348
eastcoastzigzag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:47 PM   #39
RedHawk47
Adventurer

Oddometer: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMERUS
am thinking about getting this for my bike, was thinking of just bolting it down directly through the bottom using the rear rack bolts as I won't need to take it off was wondering if anyone has done this and if this is a good idea/problems ?
The bottom of that case is probably 1.5 or 2 mm thick. An additional plate to support and distribute the weight is a good idea. Using the rear rack bolts is fine.

It's never too late to have a happy childhood. -- Tom Robbins

How I spent my summer vacation - Alaska
09 BMW F800GS
99 KLR 650 A13
RedHawk47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 12:51 AM   #40
Mr noname
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by markas
About top cases....
I got the Kappa K53 , both for the looks and the space. It holds easily 2 full face helmets + much more. It can be used as backrest too.Top case is mounted on a Touratech stainless steel rack and on top of that is the E250 universal plate to mount the top case. Probably not for hardcore off road use , but i can take the whole thing away in under 2 Min's (secs for top only without plate) and just use the Touratech rack alone. K53 weighs 5Kg , TT rack has limit 10 kg , so it leaves 5 Kg loading limit. For commuting porpoise i need more space to store things when i stop , not while riding (like helmet , jacket), so this is perfect for me.

As you can see , the K53 does not have any red color on it.
Here is a photo without the case , just the E250 plate.
can you post some pics from the front and from the back of the bike BUT from a distance? (3 metres)
Mr noname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 06:10 AM   #41
AMERUS
Traveler

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawk47
The bottom of that case is probably 1.5 or 2 mm thick. An additional plate to support and distribute the weight is a good idea. Using the rear rack bolts is fine.
thought I would have to do this was thinking of some large stainless washers underneath and then an 2mm ally plate on the inside will put up some pics when I have settled on which case to get
Old 10-09-2009, 09:25 AM   #42
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,163
Vario Case with Jesses

My bike came from the dealer with Jesse Odysseys. I need a top case for going to court, etc. but don't want it on there the rest of the time. I had a Jesse top case on my 1200 but didn't like that it was difficult to remove. I thought a Vario top case would be perfect since I could key it to the bike and it would be simple to remove when I didn't want it. Problem was everything said it couldn't be done because the Vario rack would not work with the Jesse rack. I decided to try it anyways and bought a Vario with rack from an inmate on here.

Got it and tried to mate it up and saw what the problem was, there are two "legs" on the Vario rack that would go into holes on the stock rear rack. However, the Jesse rack is solid. I looked more closely at the Vario rack and realized that the "legs" were actually tubes which were tack welded onto the rack. I simply used an angle grinder to cut the tack welds and the "legs" twisted right out. I then got a little spacer from the dealer to make the rack level and it's now perfect. I have a Vario case with Jesse bags.

If anyone cares, I'll take pictures. If no one cares, I won't.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 11:42 AM   #43
Harry Swan
One more time

Oddometer: 1,092
With Jesse Odyssey's

I'm using several top boxes with my Jesse's. This one, a Pelican 1500, fits perfectly allowing the Odyssey tops to open while installed, but the fun part is how quickly it goes on and off. Nice to grab and go.

With the Jesse quick release plate mounted with fender washers only - no internal plate ... yet.

I don't mind the weight carrying it but I have to be careful where I put it down.

Mounting takes ten seconds. Align, pull rearwards and lock.

That's it. Now about that interior plate ... I think Touratech or Wunderlich has a setup similar that comes with one but I"m just not convinced I need one.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:52 AM   #44
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Swan
I'm using several top boxes with my Jesse's. This one, a Pelican 1500, fits perfectly allowing the Odyssey tops to open while installed, but the fun part is how quickly it goes on and off. Nice to grab and go.

With the Jesse quick release plate mounted with fender washers only - no internal plate ... yet.

I don't mind the weight carrying it but I have to be careful where I put it down.

Mounting takes ten seconds. Align, pull rearwards and lock.

That's it. Now about that interior plate ... I think Touratech or Wunderlich has a setup similar that comes with one but I"m just not convinced I need one.
That's a slick set up you've done.
I thought about doing that (using the Jesse top box) but I just don't like the way the quick release mechanism dangles down. It just doesn't look right to me. I wish Al had figured out a more "elegant" way to make the quick release work...
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 09:04 PM   #45
alexcorral
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 760
Can't belive no one is using the vario top case. It's great!
Mounts & dismounts in seconds
Expandable when required
Uses same key as ignition
Good back padding for 2 Up riding
Looks great on bike when on
Mounting plate looks great on bike when top case is off
alexcorral is offline   Reply With Quote