User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2010, 10:56 AM   #76
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,843
Smallest Topcase for Givi Base Plate

Question for all the top case junkies here ...

I have a F800GS with SW Motech Aluminum rack and Givi Adapter plate on that. Normally I use a Maxia E52 top case.

Now, for about 80% of my rides, that top case is WAY too big. My question now is, what is the smallest top case that fits a Givi Monokey base plate?

Thanks for hints!
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 10:59 AM   #77
HighTechCoonass
Living the Dream....

Oddometer: 2,462
zero case for top case...added drawer pulls for tie downs...

Old 05-29-2010, 11:10 AM   #78
Adventure boy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
Heres Mine
Attached Images

Old 05-29-2010, 12:49 PM   #79
planethopper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by teleiosGS

Nice!! I have the same laptop with the same stealy sticker:) Still touring but in a different direction.
planethopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 05:38 PM   #80
DSjunky
Runnin On Empty

Oddometer: 57
Wicked BMW Factory Case's

We have the BMW factory top case and panniers on the little woman's F650GS twin. They are slick as snot. On or off in seconds, lockable, width adjustable, and become mini suitcases for easy carrying.

What's all the hub-bub about cases?

Get Motorrad and be done.

BMW F650GS - 800 twin, Yamaha's: XT225, TTR225 (x2), and TTR125ES.
DSjunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 04:42 AM   #81
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSjunky
We have the BMW factory top case and panniers on the little woman's F650GS twin. They are slick as snot. On or off in seconds, lockable, width adjustable, and become mini suitcases for easy carrying.

Top case is fine but don't drop the bike with those panniers on.
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 04:45 AM   #82
Catskill
tree hugger

Oddometer: 1,783
Quote:

I thought the same thing about my side cases...then my F800gs fell over from a total stand still while not even on and the hinges of the left expanded case shattered like rock candy. They are not durable at all and I have no doubt after seeing the damage from a fall standing still that they will destroy them selves in a real crash... I still use the right one and I do love the convenience of taking it on and off but when I get the money to buy replacement ones I will be looking for more a more durable brand.

If we stuff the duck with chocolate, does that make him a fudge packer?
Catskill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 02:30 PM   #83
DSjunky
Runnin On Empty

Oddometer: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catskill
I thought the same thing about my side cases...then my F800gs fell over from a total stand still while not even on and the hinges of the left expanded case shattered like rock candy. They are not durable at all and I have no doubt after seeing the damage from a fall standing still that they will destroy them selves in a real crash... I still use the right one and I do love the convenience of taking it on and off but when I get the money to buy replacement ones I will be looking for more a more durable brand.
Note taken. She has dumped it twice, but the cases were not expanded. No damage was done other than minor scratches. I presume that they were not designed to be crash bars, but if they are fragile then thats not right either.

BMW F650GS - 800 twin, Yamaha's: XT225, TTR225 (x2), and TTR125ES.
DSjunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 10:30 AM   #84
Harry Swan
One more time

Oddometer: 1,095
Do I need more support ...

Okay, I've got a fairly good sized Storm Case made by Hardigg mounted on a Jesse quick release on a Jesse F8 rack and it weighs in at 29 lb. total! My question is to those who have mounted Pelican cases and the like ... do I need a complementary supporting plate inside the case with that weight?

Without getting into the actual contents be advised it's equipment I need to carry to those places really less traveled. If not need I'm tired of traveling without equipment germane to my interests.

This is the same plate/rack system mounted to a smaller Pelican case for reference

http://hsswan.smugmug.com/Other/GS/6...75189471_fRavR
Old 06-07-2010, 02:05 PM   #85
Catskill
tree hugger

Quote:
Note taken. She has dumped it twice, but the cases were not expanded. No damage was done other than minor scratches. I presume that they were not designed to be crash bars, but if they are fragile then thats not right either.
I should clarify that the case hinge shattered because it was expanded. They are not designed to withstand impact while expanded. It also kind of bent itself inward and the rubber piece that's supposed to keep water out came off its seam. My husband was able to get it to a point where I can use it but had to choose expanded or unexpanded after that.

Old 06-07-2010, 03:17 PM   #86
GeckoRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
Caribou rack and pelican 36 liter cases top and side. Probably go for some soft water proof saddlebags if only running longer trips off road, but most my solo touring the hard cases make the most sense.

http://cariboucases.com/store/?name=...=i&item=000159
Old 06-08-2010, 02:53 PM   #87
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Swan
Okay, I've got a fairly good sized Storm Case made by Hardigg mounted on a Jesse quick release on a Jesse F8 rack and it weighs in at 29 lb. total! My question is to those who have mounted Pelican cases and the like ... do I need a complementary supporting plate inside the case with that weight?

Without getting into the actual contents be advised it's equipment I need to carry to those places really less traveled. If not need I'm tired of traveling without equipment germane to my interests.

This is the same plate/rack system mounted to a smaller Pelican case for reference
Harry:
I'd either use some big "fender washers", or if not too much trouble find a plate of aluminum that fits the "flat" part of the inside of the case, mark the holes and then bold thru it for extra strength.
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 02:55 PM   #88
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catskill
I should clarify that the case hinge shattered because it was expanded. They are not designed to withstand impact while expanded. It also kind of bent itself inward and the rubber piece that's supposed to keep water out came off its seam. My husband was able to get it to a point where I can use it but had to choose expanded or unexpanded after that.
The BMW cases are made of "thermoplastic" resin -- the kind that softens with heat and then hardens again when cool.

If the case is distorted (not broken into pieces) you may be heat it (with something like a hair dryer on high) and soften the plastic enough to get it back into better shape...
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 06:43 PM   #89
Harry Swan
One more time

Oddometer: 1,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden
Harry:
I'd either use some big "fender washers", or if not too much trouble find a plate of aluminum that fits the "flat" part of the inside of the case, mark the holes and then bold thru it for extra strength.
Thanks, I think you're right. I am using 1 1/2" fender washers on the inside now but I think I should invest in some aluminum to be safe....
Old 06-11-2010, 08:26 AM   #90
Catskill
tree hugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden
The BMW cases are made of "thermoplastic" resin -- the kind that softens with heat and then hardens again when cool.

If the case is distorted (not broken into pieces) you may be heat it (with something like a hair dryer on high) and soften the plastic enough to get it back into better shape...
Good advice. That's exactly what my husband did to jerry rig it back together. I can not expand or contract the case but, for now, it works to just open and close the outside.