User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2010, 05:36 PM   #91
betasigscoot
Palaverer

Oddometer: 151
Plano Top Case

Here's how my project turned out. Used a Plano AW Series XL Pistol Case.
Case is supposed to be as durable as a Pelican, but a LOT cheaper

Interior dimensions:18.75" long x 14.25" wide x 8.25" high.

betasigscoot screwed with this post 06-12-2010 at 09:10 PM
betasigscoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 07:11 AM   #92
Catskill
tree hugger

Oddometer: 1,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee
I have the Givi e46 and Vario boxes on my 800 and they work well together:

Can you share with me what mounting plate item # (I'm looking on Twisted throttle) that I need to purchase to make an GIVI E360 top case (or any givi top case) work with the existing Beemer side cases on an F800gs? I'm kind of overwhelmed on the TT website since they seem to use the same picture for multiple products and my existing BMW vario side case brackets seem to take up 2 of the 4 mounting screws on the back tail end....

This is what I think is the right item...but it's hard to picture it working from this picture...http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/4504/

Once I get the correct item # I'm good to attach it I just can't tell from the pictures how it's going to work...

Thaaaaanx....

If we stuff the duck with chocolate, does that make him a fudge packer?

Catskill screwed with this post 06-19-2010 at 08:20 AM
Catskill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 09:32 AM   #93
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catskill
Can you share with me what mounting plate item # (I'm looking on Twisted throttle) that I need to purchase to make an GIVI E360 top case (or any givi top case) work with the existing Beemer side cases on an F800gs? I'm kind of overwhelmed on the TT website since they seem to use the same picture for multiple products and my existing BMW vario side case brackets seem to take up 2 of the 4 mounting screws on the back tail end....

This is what I think is the right item...but it's hard to picture it working from this picture...http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/4504/

Once I get the correct item # I'm good to attach it I just can't tell from the pictures how it's going to work...

Thaaaaanx....
You're looking at the right part.

The Givi mount uses two of the same mounting points as the grab rail - you just add spacers and longer bolts to make up the platform height to the Givi plate.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 04:21 PM   #94
Catskill
tree hugger

Oddometer: 1,783
Quote:

The Givi mount uses two of the same mounting points as the grab rail - you just add spacers and longer bolts to make up the platform height to the Givi plate.
Thank you very much. I'm planning a trip to Virginia (Floyd Fest) and then Tennesee at the end of next month so the humungous Givi case I've been tripping over for the past year will finally be put to some good use. :) I will post pic when I get it installed.

If we stuff the duck with chocolate, does that make him a fudge packer?
Catskill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 05:57 PM   #95
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,923
Quote:

Thought I should clarify - the Givi adaptor plate comes with the spacers and longer bolts - no need to search for them. The spacers are really heavy, but they do the job.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 10:31 AM   #96
Moab
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Is this still working for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by betasigscoot
Here's how my project turned out. Used a Plano AW Series XL Pistol Case.
Case is supposed to be as durable as a Pelican, but a LOT cheaper

Interior dimensions:18.75" long x 14.25" wide x 8.25" high.
So now that youve had some time using this, how has it been? and what did you mount it with?
looks great, and i like that it would be cheaper :)

'04 1150 GS
'09 KLR 650
'10 800gs
Moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 04:19 PM   #97
toowheels
on a mission...

Oddometer: 948
MOD Top Rack

Hi!

With the MOD Top Rack you have a few top box options.
You can bolt the Givi mounts right to the rack, no adapter needed.

The two front pegs mount into the "out of line holes at the top" and the rear locking block mounts into the rear centre slot. You just need bigger washers and longer bolts. You can also slide the whole Top Rack forward if you are riding solo and then it's not so far back in no mans land!

Alternatively you can use the KISS system on the Top Rack. The two square holes allow you to use 1/4" carriage bolts and take any top box (Pelican or whatever) and drill two holes. Get the right length bolts, washers and nut (or you can get plastic/brass knobs) and you're done! At that price you can even get a couple of different sized top boxes.

More details on the thread here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=536723

and the site here:
http://motooverland.com/index_files/Page508.htm
http://motooverland.com/index_files/Page978.htm

Thanks!

Dave
Old 07-20-2010, 05:26 PM   #98
betasigscoot
Palaverer

Oddometer: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by toowheels
... you can use the KISS system on the Top Rack. The two square holes allow you to use 1/4" carriage bolts and take any top box (Pelican or whatever) and drill two holes...
+1
Works like a charm!

Your rack looks nicer than mine, but same idea. I added an extra aluminum plate to the outside bottom of the box for extra rigidity, which then attaches to my rack. I also added extra slots to move the box for accommodating the wife as a backrest. The case is sturdy enough for her to sit atop when we're not on the highway.

Moab,
I'm quite happy with the case, and the whole setup probably cost less than $100 (if you have the spare aluminum). I'll try to take some photos someday when the camera works again...
The two integrated locks on the back latches were a huge plus. Once bitten, twice shy.
betasigscoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 06:01 PM   #99
BMW_BIKER_KEITH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 395
QUOTE:

and the site here:

+1 on the MOD plate.... Dave and company are a great team.
Awesome plate and design. Just rite for the F800 & F650
BMW_BIKER_KEITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:55 AM   #100
toowheels
on a mission...

Oddometer: 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_BIKER_KEITH
QUOTE:

and the site here:

+1 on the MOD plate.... Dave and company are a great team.
Awesome plate and design. Just rite for the F800 & F650
Thanks BMW Biker Keith!!

We spent a lot of time developing (and getting inmates opinions) something that seems so simple.
It isn't when you put so many features into it. Glad to hear it's working for you!

Cheers,
Dave
Old 07-26-2010, 11:11 AM   #101
blatant
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 532
I like the pelican 1500 or 1550's. Can you guys fill me in here as i'm a noob with legit top cases. Where does the mounting plate come from? Which is best? Can the plate be bought integrated into the pelican already from a retailer or does one usually assemble it? Installation 'should' be a no brainer, right?

Best place to buy a pelican or stormcase set up?

thx all!
blatant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:29 PM   #102
Harry Swan
One more time

Oddometer: 1,095
I'm using a Pelican 1500 and a larger Storm case interchangeably with Al Jesse's rear rack and quick release plates. http://www.xplorermoto.com/top.html

It takes a quick key unlock then a little hassle to release (pull the pin down) and then a little shaking to align the four bits and lift. So far it's solid and functional. It withstood my use and abuse. I did add a tin plate inside about the same size as the quick release plate more for my concern than structural needs. I've dumped the bike a couple of times in the dirt with no affects noted.

I just brought the storm case in for the night as it holds some 29 lb. of camera equipment and it's been great for hauling gear off the bike as well. For my needs on this trip with one exception, locking the case, it's done what I need. On the bike I use a Kryptonite cable lock that runs through the handle around the case and bike rails to secure the kit to my satisfaction. Others have added more elegant locks, but mine is for my peace of mind. Oh yeah, easy to drill a few holes and seal with silicon.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:47 AM   #103
themobb
Is this thing on???

Oddometer: 504
Crickey!!!

Just got back from my local dealer and was quoted $750 for BMW aluminum top-case (32L) manufactured by Touratech, with top-case carrier and two lock cylinders...

Thanks to this thread for pointing out a lot of less expensive options!

Lance
themobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 04:07 PM   #104
rockinrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,763
Jesse

My $50 JC Whitney top case finally gave up after about 20,000 miles. I figured I would buy a Jesse top case to go with my Jesse panniers.
Talk about sticker shock!!!! When I added everything up $944?????
I have another JCW on they way.
rockinrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:03 PM   #105
pigphish2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS View Post
My bike came from the dealer with Jesse Odysseys. I need a top case for going to court, etc. but don't want it on there the rest of the time. I had a Jesse top case on my 1200 but didn't like that it was difficult to remove. I thought a Vario top case would be perfect since I could key it to the bike and it would be simple to remove when I didn't want it. Problem was everything said it couldn't be done because the Vario rack would not work with the Jesse rack. I decided to try it anyways and bought a Vario with rack from an inmate on here.

Got it and tried to mate it up and saw what the problem was, there are two "legs" on the Vario rack that would go into holes on the stock rear rack. However, the Jesse rack is solid. I looked more closely at the Vario rack and realized that the "legs" were actually tubes which were tack welded onto the rack. I simply used an angle grinder to cut the tack welds and the "legs" twisted right out. I then got a little spacer from the dealer to make the rack level and it's now perfect. I have a Vario case with Jesse bags.

If anyone cares, I'll take pictures. If no one cares, I won't.
Looking at the same setup. Not sure if you already posted.