User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2004, 10:13 AM   #1
bruceca2002 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 229
Tank bags

Anyone have some good luck with a tank bag for an 640 Adventure. I am not looking for a large bag but am more concerned about fit and quality. The KTM bag looks good but I think it may be very bulky. Any suggestions would be appreciated, Thanks
bruceca2002 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 10:29 AM   #2
Arch
Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer: 11,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceca2002
Anyone have some good luck with a tank bag for an 640 Adventure. I am not looking for a large bag but am more concerned about fit and quality. The KTM bag looks good but I think it may be very bulky. Any suggestions would be appreciated, Thanks
It is bulky, mainly due to its shape. Against all reason, it's wider in the rear than it is at the front. So it tends to rub on my legs at times while seated and really makes a mess of things while standing. I still have and use the thing when I have to, but only because I haven't taken the time to seek an alternative. Long story short, if you're starting from scratch, I'd advise on passing on the KTM tankbag.

Wish I had a better rear view shot, but this old pic sorta shows how it sticks out at the back...

Old 08-09-2004, 11:23 AM   #3
ncfitton
Summit Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
i have a marsee clip-on bag that fits well. the front strap goes under the tank and the rear strap goes under the seat. it fits snug and isn't in my way.
ncfitton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 11:36 AM   #4
lvdukerider
Las Vegas Nevada

Oddometer: 523
Ive had the KTM tankbag on my Duke II for about a year now and it works great for me nice thick material,and not too big for me at least,unless unzip and expand it compleatly to get a gallon of milk and some groceries home.
lvdukerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 01:09 PM   #5
Ninjak
Sasquatch

Oddometer: 2,783
I have the KTM tank bag on my Adv R, and I love it. It is big, but it has never caused me any trouble, even when standing.

It served me well on a recent trail-riding trip in Colorado.
http://www.rideks.com/photos/trip/co..._june_2004.htm

It carried my spare levers, goggles sometimes, cell phone, two digital cameras and my friend's hat. I never once wished I didn't have it. I recommend it.

Religion outa be like sex, legal as long as no money changes hands. - swjohnsey
Ninjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 01:21 PM   #6
kurtw
Child of the Wind

Oddometer: 209
I have the KTM tank bag also but rarely use it. First, it forces more farther back off the tank than I want to be sometimes. Second, the pockets make it too wide to stand on the pegs (it's just the pockets that make it wider in the back). I usually end up strapping it onto my back, backpack style halfway through any trip with it...lately I've just been taking a real backpack instead.

I've considered trying to remove the pockets, but haven't done that yet. (I could unstitch the top, bottom and back seams and then cut the front to avoid resewing that seam of the bag itself.)

Sans pockets I don't think it would be too bad...

Alternatives if you must have a tank bag: I've read positive reviews of the Touratech (quality and function) in other threads here (search this forum). IIRC it has no pockets. I also think Wolfman makes a nice small Enduro tankbag.
kurtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 01:33 PM   #7
ncfitton
Summit Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncfitton
i have a marsee clip-on bag that fits well. the front strap goes under the tank and the rear strap goes under the seat. it fits snug and isn't in my way.
i should add that i dont and wouldnt use the marsee offroad, since like others noted it takes up valuable seat real-estate and forces me too far backwards.

tank bags are great for road trips and commuting.
ncfitton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 09:08 PM   #8
GODSPEED
finger lickin' good

Oddometer: 2,075
timely thread

It's funny, I was just thinking of starting a thread about a tank bag for my 640 Adventure.

I was going to ask if anyone had used the Ortlieb tank bag on a 640 or any enduro/DS. Almost the same size as the KTM bag.

Does the KTM bag come with a map pocket on top or would you have to modify one?

I was looking at the Wolfman bag in the Aerostitch catalogue, man they sure like them. 127.00 just for the bag with no rain cover.

I'd rather do it than watch it.

Those of you with spouse and SO's know this already, but man give them a big hug, and don't take anything foregranted. - MACK RIP

When 51% of the grasshoppers vote, the ants are screwed.

http://godspeed.smugmug.com/Motorcycles
GODSPEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 04:04 PM   #9
ilmostro
Under Da Sea

Oddometer: 29,249
How about a nice small tail bag that would fit on the rear rack? The KTM one is huge. I'm looking for something smaller to hold a few sudries.
Old 08-20-2004, 07:54 AM   #10
Stephen
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,175
Wolfman Enduro, direct from Mr. Wolfman himself, eighty bucks, small, perfect for my 950. Not waterproof, not claimed to be. Outstanding. Excellent workmanship, first-class business outfit.

Rear packs:
1. Small pelican/otter boxes are fantastic, if they suit your needs. Myriad sizes available.
2. Moose enduro fender bag is adaptable if you can install grommets where you need them. Not waterproof. Looks like it would hold two inner tubes, about. Not the ultra quality of Wolfman, but appears quite serviceable.

I'm assuming we're talking "small" here.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 11:12 AM   #11
bruceca2002 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 229
Wolfman

Steven:

Thanks for the reply. Any idea how much smaller than the KTM bag. That looks like what I am loolking for.

Bruce
bruceca2002 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 11:33 AM   #12
Stephen
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,175
Haven't seen a KTM bag up close, so I can't really compare, but the KTM bag gets in folks' way, and the Wolfman won't. The Wolfman Enduro is maybe six inches wide and nine inches long. The front is I dunno, about four inches deep, the back is about six. It all might even be a little smaller than that. Or maybe a little bigger. It's about that, though. Map case on top just holds a standard US state highway map. One zip pocket under the top flap. One open mesh pocket on rear (earplugs and chapstick).

Sunglass case, cell phone, ham radio handheld, a cap and a bandana just about filled it up. Never got in my way, even standing up. It is exactly what I wanted. I'd expect it to fit a 640 about the same.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 11:38 AM   #13
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,132
Pics of da Wolf

http://www.4strokes.com/reviews/wolfman/

http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.

meat popsicle screwed with this post 08-20-2004 at 11:51 AM
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 04:57 AM   #14
gybeman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 618
I've got the KTM bag on my Adventure. It seems to be made for this model. It does keep you from moving that last inch forward on the seat, but its not a problem and I ride 2up a lot. Overall its a great fit and I don't notice it standing at all. This may not be true on other models though. I even had it on last week during a pretty serious (wet and muddy) 200km organised dual sport ride. The only thing I've noticed is a need to cover the side strap buckles with neoprene or something as sometimes my pants catch on them when I put my foot down and back up on the peg. It also unzips from its mount easily (with a built in handle) and expands by unzipping which is really cool. I have a bag for my street bike and you have to zip on a separate bag on top to expand it.
gybeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 05:02 AM   #15
ilmostro
Under Da Sea

Oddometer: 29,249
The Wolfman Enduro tool bag looks like the ticket! I have the moose fender bag already and it holds 2 tire irons, a tube and some skabs and thays it.

The wolfman tankbag looks the business too. I may have to try one of those.