Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2009, 11:41 PM   #16
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

Oddometer: 3,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdbx
15 years, eh? I'm coming to celebrate too!

(congrats!!)
Come on out Daniel! Your KTM back together yet? Still thinkin' of doing the KTM Adventure Rally in Idaho? Miss your Futura yet?

dave6253 screwed with this post 07-26-2009 at 11:53 PM
dave6253 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 11:48 PM   #17
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6253

The planned route looked a little like this. About 3200 miles in 10 days.

Not everything goes as planned though........
It looks like my ride! I am also working on getting the SO to come for a long ride, and a loop of Cali is the thing I want us to do, ok no Death Valley of Nevada, but it is pretty much the same.

Enjoy? I guess you are already done, can't wait for the rest

damasovi
damasovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 11:51 PM   #18
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

Sherman Pass Continued

Be careful of lose gravel in the corners.

We stop for a break near the top of the pass.

Quit messin' around girl. Hop on! Breaks Over. Gotta roll.

I think we left the desert behind us.

We take another break under the bridge next to the Kern River.

My favorite California road is next. While on the break I decided to coach Hel a little on what was expected of her in the upcoming road. I think I was a little too descriptive of the upcoming curves and nearly brought her to tears. "Come on Baby! You'll be fine. Just be prepared to LEAN!"

dave6253 screwed with this post 07-27-2009 at 12:37 AM
Old 07-27-2009, 12:08 AM   #19
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

Western Divide Highway, Giant Sequoia National Monument

If there wasn't another curve in the entire trip this road will make it worth your while.

This is the milder section through the NM. The last 20 plus miles before Springville is incredibly curvy. Tight hairpins followed immediately by more hairpins!

Looking left...

Right...

... and back at me.

We stop for a great burger near Camp Nelson. I think the place was called Pierpoint Pines. While eating I realized Helen was not up for more riding today. I woke her too early this morning. She woke up several more times today after her helmet thumped me in the back. We've ridden over 400 miles already, and we have maybe 100 extremely twisty miles more before we near other lodging. The Pierpoint Pines Lodge rented us a pricey, dated, but clean room. We were the only visitors at the lodge and it became really quiet after the restaurant closed at 8 PM. We slept like someone who fell off a motorcycle.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:32 AM   #20
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

Day 3

Highlights of today's ride;

The last 10 twisty miles of The Western Divide Highway
Balch Park Road to Bear Creek Road Loop
Sequoia National Park
Kings Canyon National Park
Avoiding Fresno

I enjoyed the last 10 miles of awesome corners trying to ride fluidly enough to avoid making the ride miserable for Hel. We didn't shoot many photos here.

Other than a squiggly line on the map I had no information of the next section. I decided to use Balch Park Drive to Yokohl Drive to cut across to Sequoia NP. However; I couldn't resist the squiggly little loop up the mountain using Balch Park Drive and Bear Creek Drive.

These cows were extremely jumpy. They would wait in the road staring at you then get spooked. Several times I thought one was about to charge us. The road was too narrow and the sides too steep for us to avoid each other easily.

There are groves of Giant Sequoia Trees and other types along the narrow, bumpy, steep, and curvy route.

The KTM would have been better at this road. The Aprilia suspension was getting bottomed out repeatedly.

Hel jumped off to capture the moment as I stopped to consult the GPS.

I highly recommend finding this sign on the top of the mountain.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:30 AM   #21
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,610
Sir what bike is that?

And great report!!

Damasovi
damasovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:39 AM   #22
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

Manufacturer: Aprilia
Made In: Noale, Italy
Model: 2002 RST1000 Futura Sport-Tourer

This bike was designed as a SPORT-tourer based on the company's Mille Superbike. It has the same 60 degree V-twin 1000cc engine as the Superbike. The design featured a new frame with a 2" longer wheelbase for stability, a larger rear subframe for that comfortable seat, and a single-sided swingarm to allow room for the underseat exhaust. The underseat exhaust then made room for the stock panniers. The bike was designed in the late 90s and was probably the first to feature the angular futuristic styling that became much more popular later. The model was discontinued in 2005 I think. The bike is much lighter than most sport-TOURERS. The most comparable bike is probably the Honda VFR800.

I'm still surprised at the number of motorcyclists that have never heard of Aprilia. Max Biaggi won the first World Superbike Race yesterday on the brand new Aprilia RSV4 (A V4 1200cc Superbike coming to a dealer near you soon). He came in 2nd in the second race.

dave6253 screwed with this post 07-27-2009 at 09:58 AM
Old 07-27-2009, 09:52 AM   #23
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

We found a pretty large grove of Giant Sequoias on the way down Bear Creek Drive. There were several campgrounds and some nice fishing holes with the big trees on the banks. I'm gonna have to remember this spot.

Yokohl Drive gave us no relief from tight corners. This took us over to the park.

We hand over the annual pass to enter the Sequoia National Park. I think We've ridden more curves this morning than can be found in the entire State of Arizona. (And we are just beginning the General's Highway.)

dave6253 screwed with this post 07-27-2009 at 09:58 AM
Old 07-27-2009, 10:17 AM   #24
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

The General's Highway

We try our best to document the awesome curves on this road. I think the speed limit is only 35, but you can have a ton of fun on this road at that speed. You will need to pass the slow moving RVs and rental cars though. They are likely to be going 15-20 mph.

The road climbs up to higher elevation where you enter the tall trees.

I took a picture of Hel taking a picture without realizing it until later.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:40 AM   #25
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

I think this is the photo Hel was taking.

Hel caught me lapping this tree. Twenty-seven paces around!

We convert from Bikers to Hikers in the parking lot of the Lodgepole Visitor's Center.

We spot a couple other bikes but didn't see the riders around. We have not seen many other bikes this trip yet.

We take off on a four mile hike up to the falls and back.

Hel pointed out this anatomically correct FEMALE Tree.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:35 PM   #26
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

Sequoia and Kings Canyon

We geared back up and rode to the Sherman Tree trail. We quickly converted back into hikers.

We were a little trusting of our fellow citizens.

The largest tree on earth! The General Sherman

You could make alot of cool stuff with that much lumber.

We ride further down the General's Highway.

And stop for another hike at Grants Grove in Kings Canyon NP.

I don't care too much for hiking, but Helen absolutely loves it. After serving in the Infantry I detest walking fast, but Hel can force the pace much tougher than any Drill Sergeant I ever met. It was nice to break up the day of riding with a little excercise though.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:44 PM   #27
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

General Grant Grove Trail

This trail was shorter so we remained in riding gear.

There is the 3rd largest tree in the World.

The General Grant

Some nice wood joinery has held this cabin together for quite awhile.

Old 07-27-2009, 01:57 PM   #28
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

Avoiding Fresno

To finish off day three we needed to get to Oakhurst to find some lodging. I put together another route based on the twisty red lines in the Benchmark Maps California Road and Recreation Atlas. However; I left the map at home when we switched bikes. The GPS was almost useless as you had to zoom in too far before these roads would even appear. I managed to navigate this section based on my memory and another road map I purchased at the gas station. It was getting late in the day and we needed to push hard to make it to town before dark. I knew Hel was getting tired and was feeling sorry for her, but I really enjoyed the last 100 miles of the day. It was one of those sections of the trip you don't really look forward to with anticipation, but turns out to be an unexpected surprise. I really only routed this way to avoid the beautiful metropolis of Fresno.

On Elwood Road we rounded a tight corner to find a few hazards. Two horses and a peacock were standing in the road. Another peacock and 10-15 loose pigs were at the edge of the road. A grey-bearded overall-wearing farmer was trying to corral the pigs. We were slow on the draw and only got a couple photos after we passed.

This is NOT photoshopped. The sign says Whoa Dave! How did they know to expect me? Does anyone know the story behind this sign?

As the shadows grew longer we put away the cameras. We arrived in Oakhurst just before complete darkness fell. Now to find lodging...

dave6253 screwed with this post 07-27-2009 at 02:09 PM
Old 07-27-2009, 03:51 PM   #29
Michaelfish
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Thumb Nice

The General's Highway

I'm surprised that more hasn't been said about it. I'm amazed someone from outta state picked up on that one!

Mighty fine report!

I haven't cared much for the Oakhurst area. Its been real HOT everytime we rode thru.. unless of course you happen to have a watercraft to play in Bass Lake!
Ridgecrest, Kahliffoanya
Michaelfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 04:04 PM   #30
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelfish
The General's Highway

I'm surprised that more hasn't been said about it. I'm amazed someone from outta state picked up on that one!

Mighty fine report!

I haven't cared much for the Oakhurst area. Its been real HOT everytime we rode thru.. unless of course you happen to have a watercraft to play in Bass Lake!
The General's Highway is definitely a scenic and very fun road. It would be better if there was less traffic like the Western Divide Highway. We were pretty lucky and traffic wasn't too bad. I went camping here in the SUV with the entire family four years ago and vowed to return by bike. I've ridden both roads twice now. The Oakhurst area was warm, but I could spend a month exploring the area, and probably not ride all the twisty roads according to the map.