dave6253 OP
The Tourist

Oddometer: 3,069
Day 4

Yosemite NP
Tioga Pass
Monitor Pass
Lake Tahoe

Last night we pulled into Oakhurst and stopped at the first cheap chain motel we found (I forget which one). No vacancy! Just what I feared, but with our luck with reservations we had decided to just wing it. The lady behind the desk was nice enough to tell us which motels in town had room available and the rates. She then told us of a place just north of town. For just a few more bucks we could spend the night in a place much better than any motel in town. The Sierra Sky Ranch! The charming lodge has quite a history and was supposedly haunted. The only haunting noises came from the small fridge in the room. I had to unplug it to sleep.

I let Hel sleep in. I didn't want her falling asleep on the back anymore.

We get back on the road and point the bike towards Yosemite NP!

We run into several construction delays in the park with a large sign declaring another "shovel-ready" project was being funded by the stimulus bill.

Glacier Point!

I tried to spot a shortcut to the valley below, but I may need the KTM for that route. I guess the long road with delays will have to do.

Old 07-27-2009, 06:39 PM   #32
Moto One
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 414
I'm sure that your already past the North Shore of Tahoe, but if not. Make an Early start (8/9 am) and go around thru Emeral Bay, then stop in Sunny Side for Breakfast at the FireSign (It's the best on the Lake). I'll be there as I am most mornings. haveos and or eggs B. Plus you'll be ahead of most of the Tourist Traffic.

Mark.
Moto One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 06:56 PM   #33
SW4006
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
If you haven't passed it yet, stop at the WHOA NELLI DELI at the junction of 120 and 395!!! It's at the Mobile(?) You won't be disappointed!

SW4006 screwed with this post 07-30-2009 at 08:02 PM
SW4006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:08 PM   #34
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

I wish I had all the food tips before the trip was over. I'll file the info away for the next trip. Thanks.

We planned to eat breakfast in South Lake Tahoe, but ate soo much the night before neither of us wanted a big breakfast.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:46 PM   #35
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

More Yosemite

We run down into the valley.

Yosemite Falls

After eating lunch and riding all of the roads still open in the valley we head out on Tioga Pass Road. I tried to get Hel interested in doing another hike, but she was not interested in getting to the final destination as late as last night.

I like tunnel shots.

Marmot

I blocked the exit to prevent her leaving me behind. You can tell she's thinkin' about it...
Old 07-27-2009, 10:55 PM   #36
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

We continue down Tioga Pass Road.

Passed Mono Lake.

And cross Monitor Pass.

We found a room in South Lake Tahoe. We quickly showered, handwashed our clothes, and found a luandromat down the street for a dryer. A huge dinner of Mexican food left us bloated and ready for bed.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:09 PM   #37
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

Day 5

Lake Tahoe-Lassen Volcanic National Park-Eureka

We got an early start and had a near traffic free ride around the west side of the Lake. We stopped at the Emeral Bay Overlook for photos.

We stayed on the CA 89 and made it to Sierraville where we found the most delicious nectarines I've ever tasted at the gast station. Helen was chilly so she sat in the sun. I stood and leaned forward to prevent the very juicy nectarine from covering my pants. Yummy! We bought 2 extra for the road.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:01 PM   #38
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

We stopped for a break at a non-descript area on the shoulder. After climbing over the guardrail we were surprised to find we were directly over a train tunnel and this intersection. I barely had my helmet off when I heard a train coiming. I grabbed the camera and scurry down a steep hill to get these shots.

After the train passed this tractor came out to play. We were about to gear up to leave when I heard another train coming.

I think we passed the same long train a little down the road.

As we near Lassen everything seems greener.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:02 PM   #39
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

Lassen Volcanic NP

As we neared the snow-capped mountains I started to get excited. I had ridden through there last year and had one special place in mind to share with Helen.

The curves were AWESOME! Traffic was light. There are no Yosemite-Like crowds here.

The roads inside the park are really fun. (and no construction/unpaved areas like last year.)

See?

There are some nice water features.

Look at this place!

A special place with a great name!

I kick off my clothes and go to cool down.

I'm such a sissy when it comes to cold water, so I was a little concerned. I wade a few steps in and think, "Wow, this ain't too bad... not very cold at all". I get in up to my knees when suddenly, BAM! Every pain sensor in my legs woke up. I tried to grit out a smile here. No polar bear club for me, Sissy!

Just another mountain.

We leave the cool 80 degree temps of the park and are quickly in Redding at 105 degrees. I decided to head straight to Eureka today instead of traveling farther north. This cut about 200 miles out of the route since we have one less day.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:53 PM   #40
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

Bambi

Three different road closures made the heat rough while we tried to make it to the coast.

We were cruising along when I spotted a little fawn trotting across the road a short distance ahead. We weren't on a direct collision course with this one, but I began braking anyway and scanning for the bigger ones. Where's Mama? Suddenly an even smaller fawn darted out. We are on a collision course now! I'm squeezing the brakes hard. It begins to look like the little deer will just clear my front wheel if she just keeps going. But, Noooo! It turns 90 degrees and tried to run directly away from us. We are decellerating rapidly but also catching up with the fast little critter just as quick. Just as I start to lose sight of it's little tail under the nose of the bike(in slow motion) it attempted a running back cut to the left. It's little hooves slipped on the asphalt and as we passed closely it spun out on it's side about 3 times. (Like a frisbee.)

We stopped for a break about 5 minutes later. Hel blamed me!? "You hit Bambi!" While I thought it was a possibility, I dared not agree. "Naw... He just slipped". If I did clip his little heels I didn't feel it. This deer was really tiny. No bigger than a medium size dog. Unless you have dwarf deer in Cali I'm pretty sure this little thing was no more than a few days old. At least Hel is awake now...

Hel said it got up and ran off in the direction of her little brother, so no animals were harmed in the making of this RR.

Self-Portrait of the Deerslayer

The temps drop 40+ degrees as we near the coast. Yippee!

Eureka sure seemed like a dump. (No offense intended-you can say that about Phoenix anytime you want) There were psycho hippy transients running around all over the place. One was screaming repeatly towards us and any other passing traffic, "White people can't be trusted!!!" Dude, have you looked in the mirror? Don't worry, I don't trust YOU!

I made the mistake of leaving Hel at the motel while I ran out to grab dinner. No luggage and no passenger! At first I thought there was something seriously wrong with the bike. Without all the weight (except my fatass) the razor-sharp handling had returned.

I had seen a Quiznos in town. That sounds good. We had a big meal for a late lunch already. I park the bike and walk up to the door. What!?!?!? A chain sandwich shop in a good-sized coastal town can't stay open beyond 7 PM? We settled for Subway...

Tomorrow: Highway 1 South
Old 07-29-2009, 07:34 PM   #41
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

Day 6

We get back on the road. I made the decision to cut out Mattole Road through the Lost Coast area to save time (a decision I now regret). At least we can ride the entire length of the Avenue of Giants in Humbolt Redwoods State Park.

We made it Legget and jumped on the 1 to the coast. Wow! This road was one of the twistiest ever! Awesome!

Finally we made it to the coast on a cool foggy day. Nice!

Old 07-29-2009, 10:08 PM   #42
NikonVT
Gettin Bruced Again

Oddometer: 2,446
lovin the action shots;

Bras cause cancer.
NikonVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 10:10 PM   #43
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

Thanks NikonVT!
Old 07-29-2009, 10:18 PM   #44
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

West Coast

It was pretty foggy most of the time with perfect cool temps for riding.

Sometimes the sun would peek out.

I get a nice shot of Hel shooting me.

And this is her nice shot taken on the same bridge!
Old 07-29-2009, 10:48 PM   #45
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

End of Day 6

We really enjoyed this section of the coastal road. The traffic wasn't very bad, and it was really curvy. The asphalt did get a little bumpy for our poor overloaded little bike.

Doesn't this look like a BLAST? If I hadn't bothered with taking this photo I may have forgotten it. These turns were just two of thousands.

Tomales Bay

I intended to stop at the park to get some photos of the Golden Gate Bridge, but it was barely visible. It was my first time here on a bike.

We paid our 6 bucks for the short ride and skipped the tourist thing in SF. We've done it before. We found a motel off the 101 in Belmont and ordered pizza delivery for dinner.

Helen seems to be enjoying the trip. I had tried to get her to bring a music player but she refused, saying she wouldn't want to listen to music while riding. In order to keep her from falling asleep and off the bike I demanded she try mine on about day 3. Now we have to take turns with MY MP3 player. At least now when I feel thumping on my back, it's to the beat of her favorite Nickelback. Sometimes I think she's yelling to get my attention. But nooo.. She's singing at the top of her voice inside her helmet.

(Yelling/Singing it all sounds the same from her.)