Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2009, 01:19 PM   #61
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

Oddometer: 3,064
Day 9

Indio-Joshua Tree National Park-Hell-Home

We get an early start to try and beat the hottest part of the day. After a short jaunt on I-10 we turn into Joshua Tree National Park. The plan is to avoid I-10 the rest of the way home.

I love the desert, but I'm not sure why this is a National Park since it wasn't any more scenic than the rest of the Mojave and Sonoran Deserts. We didn't ride over to the west side of the park where I think the scenery is supposed to improve.

We didn't even see many of the park's namesake.

We gas up in Twentynine Palms and head east.

I love these long, lonely, desert highways. This is way better than I-10!

In one of these big valleys about 40 miles from the nearest town was a real estate sign saying you could buy 3300 acres of this stuff.

Time: 9:51 AM
Temperature: 110F

Back in Arizona we start to see the familiar Saguaros.

Not far from Phoenix the temp guage briefly hit 118F! The temp stayed over 110 every since 9:51 this morning. I've never noticed this temp guage to read high and we were not stopped in traffic. The temp guage is located in the shade under the left mirror/turn signal.

We survived the HEAT today by dumping water all over us on each stop and drinking lots of water.

We made it home around 1:45 pm. I stuffed the Aprilia back into the garage and have ignored the poor abused bike since.
Old 08-01-2009, 01:50 PM   #62
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

The Answer Sheet

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6253
.............some questions we hope to answer with this tour;

How much heat can you survive?

Does the sun set over the mainland on the West Coast?

How do you shred the sides of the tire first?

Will she enjoy her first long tour?

Just how big are these trees?

How cold is that water?

Will the KTM deliver as reliably as a freight train?

How many days does it take to lap the entire Golden State?

What's around the next bend?
Apparently we were tough enough to survive 118 degrees. How tough are you?

Yes. The sun does set over the mainland on the west coast. The coast actually runs east and west near Santa Barbara. When standing on the pier looking back towards town you can watch the sunset over the mountains.

In order to shred the sides of the tires before wearing out the center just plan a trip around the beautiful State of CURVIFORNIA.

Helen said she had a great time. She really did seem to enjoy the ride once I figured out how to keep her awake. I'll bet she'd jump at the opportunity to do it again. We'll see. I really enjoyed her company.

Giant Sequoias are the largest trees on Earth by volume. The General Sherman is the largest living thing on Earth period. The big redwoods are equally as impressive. You really feel like you are in a special place when you encounter a grove of these big trees.

The water was to cold for this sissy.

The KTM didn't deliver, but I would have to place the blame on my wrenching skills. The mechanics never found any problem. They only cleaned out all the oil lines and jets and put it back together with fresh oil. I obviously left some small debris inside causing the problem. The Aprilia did deliver. I love that little bike.

It only took us nine days to do our quick lap of California. As Michealfish pointed out earlier, you could live there your entire life and not see all of it. If only we had more time and money we could try.............

What's around the next bend? In California, probably another GREAT BEND!

This is the route we traveled.

Old 08-03-2009, 04:07 AM   #63
Shaggie
Unseen University

Oddometer: 2,579
awsum stuff Dave!

"We are not at home to Mr Reasonable" - Sam Vimes

NZ Touring pics:Brass Monkey 2009:Kiwi Sun:Tiki-touring: Daytrips in NZ
Shaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 07:16 PM   #64
RMRichar
Quidditch Captain

Oddometer: 24
Not one DT reference!?! I take it too much Nickelback was being listened to instead... heh. Great ride though, superb report, well done again.
RMRichar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:09 PM   #65
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

D T

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMRichar
Not one DT reference!?! I take it too much Nickelback was being listened to instead... heh. Great ride though, superb report, well done again.
Thanks RMRichar. I spent many hours during my turns with the player jammin to the brand new Dream Theater album, Black Clouds & Silver Linings. You'd think I would've snuck that in somewhere.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:44 AM   #66
SpitfireTriple
Seek Truth

Oddometer: 876
So, Helen

In your own words

What did you think of your first big bike trip?
How comfy was the Futura?
How does it compare to the KTM?
Could you ever see yourself riding your own bike on such a tour? (my missus is happy on the back)
What advice would you offer to other pillions?

I reckon you did some huge mileage for a relative beginner. Hope it wasn't too much. When you visit europe, my advice would be to go through the alps but not to spend all your time there - they are spectacular, true, but you clearly have spectacular close to home! See if you can get Dave to go on to the Adriatic coast, especially Croatia. Maybe even a bit of island-hopping. Easy riding, lots of lovely little waterside cafes to stop for coffee. Beautiful little venetian walled towns, crammed with charming old buildings. And shops!

Andrew
SpitfireTriple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 04:49 PM   #67
Bruno vs Wild
Adventure Calls My Name

Oddometer: 26
Looks like a very fun trip!!
Bruno vs Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 07:55 PM   #68
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,519
Just revisited this and your southwest trip, excellent!
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:37 PM   #69
BusyWeb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Thanks for the sharing..
And enjoy with popcorn.. ha ha ha
BusyWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:38 PM   #70
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

Thanks for the comments guys. I'll get Helen to reply to SpitfireTriple's questions soon.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:45 PM   #71
DIRT MAN
Tracker

Oddometer: 65
Great ride report. Thanks
DIRT MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 03:49 AM   #72
RedDogAlberta
High Plains Drifter

Oddometer: 5,697
Fantastic! Great to see so many locations I've been in years past on two wheels myself. Stayed at the same Motel 6 in Santa Barbara for example.

I've got to say though, you two must be the most efficient packers ever. Two side cases and a tank bag for that route for two people? I'd be embarrassed to post a photo of us two up down there in the CBX days. You sure you didn't have a support van behind?
Old 03-07-2010, 08:56 PM   #73
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

A Response from Helen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpitfireTriple
So, Helen

In your own words

What did you think of your first big bike trip?
How comfy was the Futura?
How does it compare to the KTM?
Could you ever see yourself riding your own bike on such a tour? (my missus is happy on the back)
What advice would you offer to other pillions?

I reckon you did some huge mileage for a relative beginner. Hope it wasn't too much. When you visit europe, my advice would be to go through the alps but not to spend all your time there - they are spectacular, true, but you clearly have spectacular close to home! See if you can get Dave to go on to the Adriatic coast, especially Croatia. Maybe even a bit of island-hopping. Easy riding, lots of lovely little waterside cafes to stop for coffee. Beautiful little venetian walled towns, crammed with charming old buildings. And shops!

Andrew
Andrew,

I had a great time on the bike, I think I could have slept better on the KTM though than on the Futura. The Futura wasn't to bad except for the times we would cross cattle guards and I went airborne!

For the long trips I am perfectly happy on the back of the bike, but maybe sometime in the future I would like to take some short rides in the area on my own bike. (You hear that Dave, my own bike!) I would love to ride on the back of a bike around Europe, growing up in Europe I have visited quite a bit of Western Europe but there are a lot of areas I still would love to discover.

Helen
Old 03-07-2010, 09:02 PM   #74
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDogAlberta
I've got to say though, you two must be the most efficient packers ever. Two side cases and a tank bag for that route for two people? I'd be embarrassed to post a photo of us two up down there in the CBX days. You sure you didn't have a support van behind?
Ha Ha! No support van. I think we had the extra riding gear in the left pannier and the right pannier carried extra clothes. It was packed pretty tight.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:39 AM   #75
SpitfireTriple
Seek Truth

Oddometer: 876
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6253
Andrew,

I had a great time on the bike, I think I could have slept better on the KTM though than on the Futura. The Futura wasn't to bad except for the times we would cross cattle guards and I went airborne!

For the long trips I am perfectly happy on the back of the bike, but maybe sometime in the future I would like to take some short rides in the area on my own bike. (You hear that Dave, my own bike!) I would love to ride on the back of a bike around Europe, growing up in Europe I have visited quite a bit of Western Europe but there are a lot of areas I still would love to discover.

Helen
If you can fall asleep on the back of Dave, then he's a pretty good rider. Someone once told me my (car) driving made them fall asleep. I'm not sure they meant it as a compliment, but I took it as one. There are some drivers I can "sleep" with, even if they are quite fast. Others, "something" keeps me wide awake.

Discovering europe: sounds great. You can be Dave's tour guide! Maybe you could even ride - holiday places like Corfu make it easy to hire a scooter and pootle round the island. Just watch out for the holidaying Brits who keep forgetting which side of the road they should be riding. Edit: Watch out for the donkeys too. And the pot-holes. And the hairpins. And the vertical drops. Hmm. Maybe Corfu isn't the place to start your solo career.
SpitfireTriple is offline   Reply With Quote