Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2009, 01:14 PM   #31
Frey Bentos
not listening

Oddometer: 648
beautiful photos my friend. A great RR. The bikes are lovely and really suit the metal boxes. When you are over here in Ireland, anywhere along the west coast is a must and I would say will really suit the more relaxed pace of the Enfield.
Frey Bentos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 12:12 AM   #32
krian OP
Rider

Oddometer: 90
Faroese Islands to Iceland

The sea was quite calm and we arrived at the Faroese Islands for a small stopover. We were there half a day and because the weather wasn't too fine we decided that we only had a walk in Tórshavn, the capital of the islands.

Others all those German GS-Adventure drivers... they had long and big "To Do" list and had to check every item on their list before leaving for Iceland on afternoon - so they were really in a hurry and nearly knocked my Enfield over when they loosened their bikes.

But my lady was fine. And the thing was: we've been on the Faroese Islands quite often and they aren't that exciting any more for us.... well, unfortunately we had to stop there on our trip home... but I will mention that later in this ride report.

So, now a few pics from the Faroese Islands...

They look like this in the morning, seen from sea.

Near Tórshavn, still from the ferry

And this is the "city" of Tórshavn, colorful, isn't it? - in front of the picture you see this red, big building... that's the Faroese parliament called Lřgting, one of the eldest parliaments of the world! And there's the government too in it.

In Tórshavn there are something around 20.000 inhabitants, and 50.000 live on all of the islands.

If you're interested in birding, the Faroese are surely a good place to visit. And of course the Faroese are very beautiful indeed - we had a lot of funny and fine times here... but these are other stories, we now want to go to Iceland - so back onto the ship and up to the north.

Photography on
http://krian.smugmug.com/

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 "Austro-Classic"
Yamaha XT 500 A
Yamaha XT 660Z Ténéré

krian screwed with this post 09-09-2009 at 04:16 AM
krian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 12:14 AM   #33
krian OP
Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frey Bentos
beautiful photos my friend. A great RR. The bikes are lovely and really suit the metal boxes. When you are over here in Ireland, anywhere along the west coast is a must and I would say will really suit the more relaxed pace of the Enfield.
Good, thanks! That's were we wanted to go... you don't know any spots for good bird watching (well, it's quite late in the year but maybe...) ?

Photography on

Yamaha XT 500 A
Yamaha XT 660Z Ténéré
Old 07-29-2009, 02:12 AM   #34
krian OP
Rider

Iceland - from the east to the north

So, finally we arrived in Iceland.

Maybe I have to say a few words now... Iceland is in geological terms in between Europe and America because it's origin lies in the middleoceanic ridge, a highly active volcanic region. And they are not even in between America and Europe in geological terms but I would say also in terms of their style of living - Icelandic people are Scandinavian people as long as talking about their rich and beautiful literature or language. But in terms of their style of living it's much more American than European: fast food, big cars, look at their tv or some of the music they produce... I don't say it's bad, I only observe. Iceland is different from the rest of Europe - from it's culture and from the landscape.

I've been learning the Icelandic language and for me it's the most beautiful language in the world! It's an old language with a lot of old vocabulary, and although the grammar is very hard to learn you have the advantage that you have so many ways to express yourself... great!

And it sounds soooo nice!!!

I said the landscape is different from the rest of Europe. Yeah, that's not surprising, Iceland is really made of fire and ice and you have volcanoes and glaciers side by side. Then deep fjords and the remote highland of the island where there's a big and dark desert of stones. Then you have a wonderful waterfall just around every corner and bird cliffs that are maybe the most important in whole Europe.

In Iceland, we saw wild polar foxes that came to our tent and were attacked by artic terns (wow, that hurts!). The weather can be very hard an you can have storms and snow even in August (I know what I'm talking about....) but you can have the best weather you can imagine too (meaning: 20 degrees celsius and sun).

I've been there six times now and I will definitley return there with my XT 500 maybe next year, 2010.

So, now let's have a look at the country.

After arriving at Seyđisfjörđur the only way you can go is to Egilsstađir. The whole ferry is driving there so there's no need to hurry. Then usually you go to one of the two supermarkets and buy yourself the first Icelandic meal like Skýr or some lamb meat which is delicious there. I really miss the Icelandic food in Austria!

Then we went up on street No. 1 to the north - if you want to stay on a street then this is the only way you can go anyway.
Going north you pass the northeastern corner of the highland, it's cold there and the wind was blowing.

Then we went to the hot mud pots of Námafjall and then to the lake Mývatn. Mý means "midge" in Icelandic...

After that, we drove to Akureyri and then headed west to the Western Fjords.

A GS-rider on street No. 1.

A farm along the way.

A Chevy.

Street No.1, also called "Hringurinn" - the ring because it goes just round the whole country.

Two Enfields on the Ring.

Another car wreck.

Photography on

Yamaha XT 500 A
Yamaha XT 660Z Ténéré

krian screwed with this post 09-09-2009 at 04:18 AM
Old 07-29-2009, 06:54 AM   #35
Frey Bentos
not listening

Oddometer: 648
unfortunately the only birds I know about are the ones my Wife wont let me watch. There are supposedly the highest sea cliff in europe over here in the north west of Ireland in County Donegal. Loads of birds last time I was there. Couldn't say if they were ducks or something else entirely.

You will have to keep us posted of when you are over here. It would be nice to say Hi.
What type of camera gear have you. The quality of the pictures are really something else.
Frey Bentos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 06:58 AM   #36
HighScore
No More, all done.

Oddometer: 921
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadholder

Wow...an amphibious Enfield!
this photo should be called:
If Jesus road a motorcycle...

these are great photos, what camera are you using if you don't mind me asking?
HighScore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 07:23 AM   #37
Letsgo21
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighScore
this photo should be called:
If Jesus road a motorcycle...

these are great photos, what camera are you using if you don't mind me asking?
These are really excellent pics, compliments to the photographer
Thanks for taking us along the ride
Old 07-29-2009, 09:17 AM   #38
sssss
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
fantastic
sssss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 09:38 AM   #39
krian OP
Rider

Well I have to thank YOU again for your nice comments, dear Frey Bentos, HighScore, Letsgo21 and sssss!

The camera that I'm using is quite good I have to admit... and I even scaled them down a lot...

I'm using a Canon EOS 5D.

Photography is indeed a very serious hobby for me and I'm still learning how to process the pics afterwards.

The next important thing to a camera is a good lens and I have some lenses at home... but unfortunately, I can only take three along with me on my travels because I carry them in a Boblbee backpack which is a backprotector as well and even protects the gear in case of an accident (I tested that...) . And the gear gets heavier and heavier every hour you ride.

So I have the following lenses with me:

Canon 100-400 L IS USM,
Canon 16-35 L USM
and a "bread and butter" lens Canon 28-80.
And a tripod and some additional small things.

Photography on

Yamaha XT 500 A
Yamaha XT 660Z Ténéré
Old 07-29-2009, 09:40 AM   #40
krian OP
Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frey Bentos
unfortunately the only birds I know about are the ones my Wife wont let me watch. There are supposedly the highest sea cliff in europe over here in the north west of Ireland in County Donegal. Loads of birds last time I was there. Couldn't say if they were ducks or something else entirely.

You will have to keep us posted of when you are over here. It would be nice to say Hi.
What type of camera gear have you. The quality of the pictures are really something else.

That sounds great... meaning: the cliffs and saying hello! If you don't mind seeing two wet Austrians with oily motorcycles...

Can you send me a personal message for some contact details? (Also for the bird cliffs).

Karin

Photography on

Yamaha XT 500 A
Yamaha XT 660Z Ténéré
Old 07-29-2009, 10:12 AM   #41
minnesh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Magic Stuff

well i must say i now know the meaning of what an old man once told me
he said
son......
all men die
but a few really live
great report i really think the greatest photos and most important the greastest company you have which is your partner.
all the best and well done..
cheers minnesh
south africa..
minnesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 10:44 AM   #42
AdrenalineRider
xploridz

Oddometer: 238
Those pics are simply mind blowing and amazing scene
Old 07-30-2009, 12:19 AM   #43
krian OP
Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnesh
well i must say i now know the meaning of what an old man once told me
he said
son......
all men die
but a few really live
great report i really think the greatest photos and most important the greastest company you have which is your partner.
all the best and well done..
cheers minnesh
south africa..

The men was right. Wise words. I think a lot of ADV-riders live their life instead of just eating, drinking and going to bed... they dream and they fulfill their dreams, somehow, somewhere...

And you're right: I have the greatest company of the world for travelling.

Best regards,
Karin

Photography on

Yamaha XT 500 A
Yamaha XT 660Z Ténéré
Old 07-30-2009, 01:32 AM   #44
krian OP
Rider

Northern Iceland

Okay, time for more pictures I guess!

The last pics ended up in the very east of the "Hringurinn". It was a bit cold and a bit wet but sometimes even the sun was shinging and it was September so what had we expected?

Then street No. 1 winds up to the branches of the eastern highland, and there the climate is rough - more than on the coast. And my fingers are damp and cold (havn't found the right gloves yet). But I manage to take some photos, and here they are:

Still some tough grass growing in this unfriendly, cold nature:

One of the treasures of Iceland is it's healthy and good tasting water. An Icelandic friend of mine you lived in Vienna for a couple of years said that this was one of the things that he really missed when he was living in Austria.

There are rainbows almost daily, sometimes almost every hour. Unreal.

The landscape becomes a desert. (We now have good weather, but I know, some years ago, we had a big sandstorm here.)

If the light is right, the sand looks really colorful.

Bernhard's Enfield looking to the west. In former times, only outlaws lived in this dark region and men from the east on their way to Reyjkavík the desert on the back of their horses.

Many travelers say, this landscape reminds them on the moon. I havn't been on the moon yet so I can't say.

Street No.1.

Sometimes there are green spots in between.

Photography on

Yamaha XT 500 A
Yamaha XT 660Z Ténéré

krian screwed with this post 09-09-2009 at 04:20 AM
Old 07-30-2009, 02:25 AM   #45
boboneleg
we can rebuild him.

Oddometer: 739
This is a fantastic ride report and your photos are trully outstanding

Are you passing through the UK when you go to Ireland?

Bob.