Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2009, 07:42 PM   #31
b00t
errrr, yes uh-huh?

Oddometer: 307

Nothing like a sunrise in the mountains...

Old 07-28-2009, 07:50 PM   #32
Garand
Keeper of Useful Sarcasms

Oddometer: 679
I crawled out of my hammock pretty early, I thought, because I wanted to wander around and snap a few sunrise pics, but what did I find sitting on the hill?

None other than HF!

A few artsy shots taken on the road up Medano Pass

Stay tuned, things are about to get exciting!

Garand screwed with this post 07-28-2009 at 08:10 PM
Garand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 11:03 PM   #33
Off Limits
Really?

Oddometer: 3,317
cool report, first one ive ever subscribed too
Old 07-28-2009, 11:26 PM   #34
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,436
Hey HF,
If you ever come to the "far west", let me know and we will join you.
Lion

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 04:28 AM   #35
Gargoyle
Trail Jester

Oddometer: 1,165
I'm in great pics and report ... keep going!
Berkshire Trail Riders on Facebook or follow me on Twitter
Gargoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 04:38 AM   #36
Hog Chain
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
I am in. Can't wait. Love the 250s.
Hog Chain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 07:17 AM   #37
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR
Hey HF,
If you ever come to the "far west", let me know and we will join you.
Lion
Bank on it....I'm coming to the great NW. Sometime within the next few years. Got Cyborg, Scottmac, & now Lion on My List...

HF
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 07:30 AM   #38
Monty
Calm Like a Bomb

Oddometer: 191

No motorcycles? They can't stop us that easily.

They really should be more accurate with their signs. Street legal motorcycles are allowed.
Monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 01:16 PM   #39
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

All my bikes have names. Cool descriptive names. However, most seem to get nicknamed (or re-named) in the heat of battle to something much less respectable....if you know what I mean. Usually that includes the words "Big Fat Pig" somewhere within the exclamation. But this little blue bike has broken that streak. In 5,000 hard earned miles, over 10 months, I've never been upset with her. Never had to gripe about how heavy she is. Never wished I was riding something else.

I gave my WRR the name "R" Cause I got tired of saying WR250R, and then WRR. Anyway, the name turned out to be a bit contagious....globally. But I digress.

R just gets her feelings hurt if I don't acknowledge her properly in these Ride Reports. She's got the guts and lives for those brief moments of glory...discovered somewhere within each trip. Here is one of those sacred moments. She wanted to know what all the hub-bub was about, so she came down to the edge of the hill (where no other bike dared follow). She liked the view and enjoyed a restful few moments of silence:

There were many other wonderful spots and moments all over this Medano Pass. Terrific secluded campsites everywhere all the way to 11,000 ft. elevation. Much of the riding is easy. But some is a little more challenging.

That's Garand at 10,500 ft. He's a big guy! Powerlifter big! He's got muscle where I didn't know you could put muscle. Picks that loaded KLR up off of Monty with one hand. I'm guessing rider & gear near 290 lbs on his WRR. Folks this is the honest truth: the little 250cc WRR pulled his load right up the mountain without hesitation. It was NO SWEAT! At least to 11,000 ft. But, we'll go higher yet.

Here's some more photos on top of Medano Pass:

Monty sure looks like he's having fun....to me.

Don't know why he's complaining. Medano Pass is the PERFECT place to ride a KLR. Book It!

Its got tons of great views:

And LOTS of water crossings....though the water wasn't so deep this time around.

HF

HighFive screwed with this post 07-29-2009 at 01:31 PM
Old 07-29-2009, 02:49 PM   #40
Dustdevill
Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
Really great stuff, would love to do this on a big trail bike.
Dustdevill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 06:34 PM   #41
fotobo
KTM rider

Oddometer: 1,588
Hey Scott, enjoying your report. Good job! something ain't right here though. I'm retired and it seems like you are riding more than me. Guess I'll have to do something about that.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:05 PM   #42
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Coming through this Medano pass is really special. I felt like Lt. Zebulon Pike on his great Southwestern Expedition. Well....except it was 2009 instead of 1806. It was summer instead of winter. I'm on a motorcycle and he was on foot. I have a gps and he only had pencil & notepad. None of my men died on our passage, he lost several. I had Mountain House gourmet, he had stale squirrel biscuits. But other than that....it was nearly the same.

Interestingly, the true story (from the big display on the summit) was that Lt. Pike was desperately trying to find a way through the mountains in harsh winter conditions. Then, he discovers a "road" has already been cut through this pass (in "1806"!!). Cleared enough to know this road had been used for a long time. The Expedition followed it over the pass and then discovered a sea of sand on the other side. Obviously, the Native American Indians had been using this pass for many years prior. Several of his men died during this passage (due to the harsh & cold conditions). He draws a map of these mountains in his notepad. They've reprinted it on the display. Its amazingly accurate....considering the times & conditions he was in.

The west side of the pass has a series of zig-zagging canyon walls. Apparently, as the wind whips through the pass, it has carried erosion for millions of years and slowly deposited it into the valley. Making one of the largest areas of inland sand dunes within the USA. Its shocking to see what appears as you become dwarfed by the dunes. I think Monty & Garand said, "swallowed by the dunes". But I'll let them tell their version of the story. It looks like this:

Hey....where's Monty & Garand? I swear, they were right behind me when things got a little sandy. Oh well, onward mush!

Hhmmm....still nobody coming behind me. Time to pull over and take a break, I guess. This looks like a good spot:

So, I park it at a picnic table (on the first & only turn-off) and start my Stopwatch.....tic-tic-tic...and watch a sand surfer.

I'm actually quite close. Yeah....the dunes are THAT BIG!

15 minutes.....30 minutes.....45 minutes.....

That does it, I'm getting hot. And staring at this doesn't help matters:

So, now its decision time. Do I commence a Search & Rescue? Or, do I join the dog and soak my butt & feet? We take a vote (R & I)....the dog reminds me of the BigDog. And, I start pondering what he would do...??

Yup...I peel my clothes off down to my riding shorts, get into my flip-flops, and join the "dog". Good thing I brought my sandals. That sand was ho-chi-momma HOT.....like 130 degrees on bare feet!

While chilling in this cool water, the sands reminds me of The Krabill. My favorite Wingman who skipped out on this trip. And I remember....that sissy reunion is really his 20 year class reunion. A real homecoming of sorts in Michigan. He took his WRR with him and is probably riding deep sandy trails all over the Michigan woods right now. So, I toast a muddy sand-ball to his honor. He had justifiable reasons to skip this trip. I was just teasing earlier.

An hour gone by, and finally two red-faced riders come puffing into the pitstop. I don't know what the problem was. I clicked into 3rd gear and zipped right through that loose sand at a fairly high rate of speed. It was a piece of cake. I told them to let the air out of their tires. What's up guys? What were you doing back there? Fill us in....we'd ALL like to know.

HF

HighFive screwed with this post 07-29-2009 at 08:27 PM
Old 07-29-2009, 08:29 PM   #43
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,516
Sand?

Yup, I was riding in sand. All of Michigan is made out of the stuff. Soft, sugar sand and whoops. Miles and miles of them. I had a great time, though. Just rolled in and unloaded ol' R a few minutes ago. Literally. It's been a long week . . . or so . . .

Here's a little shot. Kinda hard to see the whoops, but they're there. And sandy.

Anyway . . . continue on guys

Garand . . . aren't you glad I talked you into bringing the DSLR? I am. The pictures are phenominal

Krabill screwed with this post 07-30-2009 at 07:54 AM
Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 09:56 PM   #44
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive
Bank on it....I'm coming to the great NW. Sometime within the next few years. Got Cyborg, Scottmac, & now Lion on My List...

HF
Oh yeah, and if you do make it up this way, I have some punishi...err nice local "single-track" trails I can take you on. Is it Ok if the single trail was made by mountain goats or deer....
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 03:47 AM   #45
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,637
Lordy, I hate sand. Hat's off to to you all.

Sarah