User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2008, 08:12 AM   #1
Humunn OP
Moto Prozac

Oddometer: 1,048
11 Riders, Sore Butts, and One Great Big Piece of Meat

Eleven riders and a chase truck will depart early Friday morning for a 3 day, 450 mile journey through Oregon’s high desert. We’ll ride all sorts of terrain and see some awesome places along the way!

Stay tuned for the ride report sure to be full of stories and all kinds of partial truths!

Other interesting ride reports:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=374493
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=353386
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=237302

Map of the trip:

Day 1 BLACK, Day 2 RED, Day 3 YELLOW
2009 KTM 450 EXC The Citrus Mistress - 2010 Yamaha FZ1 The Black Pearl
Humunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 09:27 AM   #2
old-school
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
old-school is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 09:30 AM   #3
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,679
Let's see what you've been up to

Old 09-15-2008, 11:50 AM   #4
Mad Kaw Disease
Dual Sport Diseased

Oddometer: 534
Just a spectator this time so make me proud.....

"I was going faster than I ever went in my whole life and I fell off...." Little Fauss
Mad Kaw Disease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 04:59 PM   #5
gunnr
optimsm

Oddometer: 287
Cool.....
gunnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 10:59 PM   #6
Humunn OP
Moto Prozac

Day 0 – The Pre-ride Dinner and Meet Up

For the guys that can make it to town the night before we get together at a restaurant in town. Gives everyone a chance to meet one another.

Left to right in this picture is MadDog Mike, the sweep rider, Keith on a KLX 250, Dale on a WR 450, Jeff on a WR 400, Dave on a KLX 450, Nate on an XR 400, Brian on an XT 225, and the back of Townsend’s head on a WR 450.

Mark and son-in-law Kyler the chase truck drivers.

Brian and Townsend.

The High Desert Adventures’ “staff” gathering for the mandatory post pre-ride dinner meeting at the ‘Shoe, a well-established cowboy bar.

Up next, DAY 1.
Old 09-28-2008, 08:12 AM   #7
Mad Kaw Disease
Dual Sport Diseased

Oddometer: 534
So how was the karaoke at the 'Shoe? Anybody participate?

"I was going faster than I ever went in my whole life and I fell off...." Little Fauss
Mad Kaw Disease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 09:13 AM   #8
Humunn OP
Moto Prozac

Day ONE – Prineville to Christmas Valley, 125 miles

The crew meets up Friday morning 630 am for a 730 am start. Some of the guys chose to camp out the night before at the staging area and found out just how cold it gets at night in Central Oregon in the fall.

We get our stuff organized, line up the bikes, and take the group picture. From left to right: Dave, Dan, Keith, me, Jeff, Dave, Brian, Nate, Don, Townsend, Alan, and Mike.

After the pre-ride safety chat we are off. The route for the first half of the day, I refer to as the “athletic portion”, will take us through some fun whooped single and two track trails in the desert and later in the higher elevation pines.

All of the guys are from the Portland area and most of them ride exclusively at Brown’s Camp, Diamond Mill, Jordan Creek and other low gear heavily treed technical forest riding areas where the soils are clay based and compacted (which means slick or muddy when it’s wet). Central Oregon’s high desert is at the other end of the spectrum – the terrain is wide open (you can see for miles), soils are sandy and loose (dusty when dry but heaven when damp) and much of the time you run in 4th or 5th gear.

Some pics climbing up on top of the first ridge.

Dan

Don

Keith

Jeff

Alan

Dan

Nate

The previous pictures don’t show it too well but just before the rocky section is a sweeping 90 degree turn that is fairly deep. If you keep pressure on the throttle and shift your weight back it is no problem but we forgot to tell Brian that.

By the way, this was Brian’s first off road ride in years. He rode an XT 225 that he rented from Rented Adventures in Sandy, Oregon. The bike was perfect for this kind of trip. We called it the “mule” as it crawled over the rough terrain where a “race” bike would just bounce over. If you need to rent one of these contact Tyler at www.rentedadventures.com. They have the bikes loaded on a trailer and ready to go.

Townsend gittin er done.

Next stop, on top of the cinder cone. Here’s Dan en route.

Riding to the top of the cinder cone.

A view to the south and the direction we were heading.

The spectacular views were enjoyed and we were off, heading south, crossing under highway 20 and into East Fort Rock.

Pit stop on the trail.

Here comes Dan.

And Dan’s dust. Not sure who this is but a good example of what it looks like when you ride too close.

The weather was perfect, mid-70s, and the forecast was the same except for a slight chance of showers on Saturday which would actually knock the dust down a bit.

Riding south of East Fort Rock we jump on Cabin Lake road and make a straight shot into Fort Rock for lunch at the Waterin Hole.

And then down the block to the Fort Rock Homestead Museum. This is Mark. He’s a great guy and very knowledgeable about both the native American history and early homesteaders in the area. He gave us a special tour that was very interesting to listen to.

A view of Fort Rock from the museum.

After lunch and the museum tour we head west a bit to Hole In The Ground. It is a geological feature (crater) similar to Fort Rock except because Fort Rock sits in a valley that was once a huge lake, the soils created from erosion that once surrounded Fort Rock (and still surround Hole In The Ground) were washed away.

The group at Fort Rock.

On top of Hole in the Ground. We will ride down into the center on an easy trail that circles half the inside of the Hole. If you look closely to the left of this picture you can see a trail that climbs straight out of the bottom. It’s always fun to see who wants to try to climb out of the bottom on that trail.

Dan says no way.

But his nephew Dave can’t resist. The challenge with this hill is that it has a narrow turn to the left and then to the right, the soil is super dry and is a foot deep. Most guys that try make it around the first left but can’t carry enough momentum to get through the deep moon dust and bog down in a dust cloud…just like Dave.

Up on top of “Hole”.

Looking towards Fort Rock.

Dropping back down off of “Hole” we head back east toward Fort Rock and on to Christmas Valley.

I love signs like this. What this really tells me is “Great Off Rode Riding, Highly Recommended!”

And rolling into Christmas Valley

…for a shower, clean clothes, a killer sunset…

…and a great big chicken fried steak that we would talk about for the rest of the trip!

Next up, Day TWO…

Old 09-28-2008, 09:14 AM   #9
Humunn OP
Moto Prozac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Kaw Disease
So how was the karaoke at the 'Shoe? Anybody participate?
Mike wanted to, but someone already took the stage when they played "Hell's Bells".
Old 09-28-2008, 02:02 PM   #10
monrcar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humunn
But his nephew Dave can’t resist. The challenge with this hill is that it has a narrow turn to the left and then to the right, the soil is super dry and is a foot deep. Most guys that try make it around the first left but can’t carry enough momentum to get through the deep moon dust and bog down in a dust cloud…just like Dave.

WOW!! Simply a fantastic trip. If you have ever thought of going on any kind of outback adventure, I strongly recommend hooking up with these guys. Absolutely awesome!

It had been our goal to do a trip like this for a while, and I learned a ton of stuff while substantially lowering my risk. I found out quickly the first day, I was not prepared for an extended back country trip. But Greg, Mike and the groups advice quickly put us on the right track. The chase truck proved invaluble here! As the extra, overweight equipment/pack wound up in the truck, and I was free to enjoy the ride.

I'll definately be exploring more, and extending my abilities. And I look forward to additioanal trips with these guys in the future.

As to the quote above... "Dave attempts the climb..." In all fairness, that was Dale who attempted to climb out of the hole. And in all honestly, had Dale made it, I would not be mentioning this small typo. -Dave

I'll comment more, pending incriminating pics from the other two days. But I have to tip my helmet to Greg, Mike and Crew for what was truely an adventure of a lifetime!

monrcar screwed with this post 09-28-2008 at 02:08 PM
monrcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 02:50 PM   #11
Humunn OP
Moto Prozac

Quote:
Originally Posted by monrcar
WOW!! Simply a fantastic trip. If you have ever thought of going on any kind of outback adventure, I strongly recommend hooking up with these guys. Absolutely awesome!

It had been our goal to do a trip like this for a while, and I learned a ton of stuff while substantially lowering my risk. I found out quickly the first day, I was not prepared for an extended back country trip. But Greg, Mike and the groups advice quickly put us on the right track. The chase truck proved invaluble here! As the extra, overweight equipment/pack wound up in the truck, and I was free to enjoy the ride.

I'll definately be exploring more, and extending my abilities. And I look forward to additioanal trips with these guys in the future.

As to the quote above... "Dave attempts the climb..." In all fairness, that was Dale who attempted to climb out of the hole. And in all honestly, had Dale made it, I would not be mentioning this small typo. -Dave

I'll comment more, pending incriminating pics from the other two days. But I have to tip my helmet to Greg, Mike and Crew for what was truely an adventure of a lifetime!
Oops, yes it was Dale. Sorry, Dave...It was a herculean effort for sure!!!
Old 09-30-2008, 07:31 AM   #12
Humunn OP
Moto Prozac

Day 2 – Christmas Valley to Silver Lake via Fandango Canyon, Paisley and the Fremont

I love Christmas Valley. It really isn’t much of a place at all out in the middle of nowhere. You certainly wouldn’t travel there intentionally as there isn’t much to see or do. BUT, with your moto goggles on it is a completely different story. It is a perfect place for off road motorcycle riders – decent places to stay, a couple good food options, even a bar, and a Chevron station that is open all the time. A great place to ride off road to or from in just about any direction. Sort of a moto Mecca in the making!

Anyway, here we are in the morning at the Lakeside Terrace, getting ready to roll and shaking off the chicken fried steaks from the night before.

Nate blew the back plate off his SuperTrapp the day before. His XR400 was healthy sounding before that but without the plate and a straight pipe it really roared. Being on the trail is all about improvising. If you’ve been there you’ll like this picture:

We were all pretty excited about riding today. Last night as we rolled into town you could see the weather advance and at dinner it poured down rain. When I used to live and ride in the Portland/Vancouver area this was a BAD thing but east of the mountains a different story. The lack of moisture and sandy soils keep the trails dusty and loose but when it rains the traction picks up and the dust goes away – at least for a little while.

Here are some shots of the boys cruising down through Fandango. Almost no dust, great traction and the fantastic aroma of sage. Awesome!

This is where we discovered our home made spark arrestor for the SuperTrapp was probably a little too restrictive.

On further down Fandango. This was some great riding!

We roll into Paisley for lunch.

At the Pioneer Saloon.

But they don’t open until noon so we go next door to the Homestead. I know the lady that works here and she love it when we are in town. Probably makes her quota for the week!

After lunch it’s time to fuel up but the attendant just went to lunch so we had an hour to burn so we hopped on the bikes and explored in a couple different directions. We ended up shooting the breeze on a gravel road next to the Chewaucan River.

Dan in his easy chair “down by the river”.

Rope swing.

And a man made dam.

Kiddie pool.

Down river.

Gas finally opens. I love this gas station. I’ve been back inside the shop area and it reminds me of the shops and garages from the 60s when I was a kid. They still use this old till.

Off up into the Fremont we hit some great logging roads to a stop at Slide Mountain. Notice the date on the marker “1928”.

No, Alan, you can’t ride down that.

Brian and Townsend.

We spent a few minutes here enjoying the views then continued on. About a mile or so down the trail here’s a picture looking back at Slide Mountain. Notice the bare plateau area on the edge. That is the same spot where Brian and Townsend were a couple pictures back.

Brian had told me earlier in the day that he may want to peel off and head back to Portland tonight. He wanted to be home to coach his son’s baseball game. There is only a couple roads that take you down out of the Fremont so at the first one he made the cut off, we went over his directions and we said our good byes.

Once out of the fun dirt logging roads we hook up on higher speed gravel service road en route to Fremont Point. We arrive here but don’t stay long. It’s 55 degrees and windy.

Jeff taking advantage of the wind block.

Dale Quasi-Moto was too cold to take his pack off first.

We didn’t spend much time here although the view of Summer Lake below is spectacular. I forgot to take a picture but here’s a couple from a prior trip.

From here we cruise on in past a couple prior forest fires (one so recent you can still smell it) on into Silver Lake. What a great ride day. No flats or mechanical issues! We actually arrive a bit early in Silver Lake with plenty of time to circle up and talk about the day.

And enjoy a little of this.

As I was riding east into town I notice a motorcycle headlight heading west. Turns out it was BRIAN! I was surprised to see him as he bailed out to the pavement back in the forest to make better time on the slab. He was cold and decided to come up with plan B which was to pay off one of the local kids with a truck to give him a ride back to Prineville where he’d head home from there.

Sunset.

And we are off to the Cowboy Dinner Tree for chow.

This is Connie and Angel who own the place and always take care of us.

Here’s the objective.

And the race is on!

Enjoy this sequence of pictures. Here’s Alan in action. Never seen this done before.

And this was after two large mason jars of iced tea, a loaded baked potato, salad, two helpings of soup, and dinner rolls. He finished his dessert also!

And Jeff for the encore presentation. Gittin ER DONE!

That’s TWO for our table!

And we finish the night with a birthday song for Keith. Happy 29th again!

Next up – day THREE…
Old 09-30-2008, 12:20 PM   #13
Budo675
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 859
Sounds like a great trip.

The thread title however sounds like a scary gay gangbang...

Budo675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 03:58 PM   #14
Humunn OP
Moto Prozac

Eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budo675
Sounds like a great trip.

The thread title however sounds like a scary gay gangbang...
I realized that...
after the fact!
Old 09-30-2008, 04:29 PM   #15
Budo675
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humunn
I realized that...
after the fact!
I thought it was tonge in cheek... but now it's even funnier...

Budo675 is offline   Reply With Quote