ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2004, 10:00 AM   #1
pierce OP
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,017
Pissed Song Dog Ranch *CLOSED* ?!?!?!?

I just heard a rumor that Song Dog has been shutdown by the county... apparently, they held a music festival or something there, and a neighbor complained, and it turns out they have no permits for anything they were doing, so the county shut them down

that *SUCKS*
pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 10:28 AM   #2
ErrinV
D Boon!

Oddometer: 2,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce
I just heard a rumor that Song Dog has been shutdown by the county...
Crap!! I was looking forward to the next campout there.

Errin
Old 08-08-2004, 10:52 AM   #3
dyvking
ahead of his flamin star

Oddometer: 3,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce
I just heard a rumor that Song Dog has been shutdown by the county... apparently, they held a music festival or something there, and a neighbor complained, and it turns out they have no permits for anything they were doing, so the county shut them down
that *SUCKS*
Jim's an old friend, and I visit him frequently. I was reluctant to post this, as the issue is Rev's personal business. But, it's no rumor, at least for the time being. Rev has had to cancel all events at the Ranch until further notice. Suffice it to say that it's a zoning issue, but there's still a good chance it will get resolved. Hopefully before next Spring, eh?
2014 Fitness Goal: hike 1200 miles. Only 420 more to go.
dyvking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 04:15 PM   #4
mongox
ARRRRGH!!!

Oddometer: 2,503
That's a drag, rev is good people. However, there is still a good alternative in the area. 30 miles south on lockwood road (?) is camp Shideck (spelling) it is a national forest campground. It has some nice sites as well as group campsites. It also has a bar right next to the camp ground within crawling distance that serves food and has a pool table (s) too. I do hope the dog opens back up though, I have had many good times there.
mongox

"Those who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music" unknown
mongox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 04:41 PM   #5
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongox
That's a drag, rev is good people. However, there is still a good alternative in the area. 30 miles south on lockwood road (?) is camp Shideck (spelling) it is a national forest campground. It has some nice sites as well as group campsites. It also has a bar right next to the camp ground within crawling distance that serves food and has a pool table (s) too. I do hope the dog opens back up though, I have had many good times there.
mongox
I don't see it... do you have any more info?
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 07:50 PM   #6
JimX
.. .

Oddometer: 680
closure info

sad but true....

http://www.songdog.com/ranch/index.htm
JimX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 08:31 PM   #7
richard cabesa
The Mayor

Oddometer: 9,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveltoad
I don't see it... do you have any more info?

Heres a coupe pics, I don't have any of the campsites but iit is standard FS type with fire rings and tables. Not a bad spot, I've camped there and staggered back from the pub a few times

Shiedeck

Camping,

A creek

A Pub

It's a few miles off of Hwy 33 in Lockwood Valley on Reyes Creek.

After reading Choppermans story, I have started calling the place the Brain Bucket
Old 08-10-2004, 07:36 AM   #8
mongox
ARRRRGH!!!

Oddometer: 2,503
And the proprietors name per the sign as you enter, "Ozzy Osbourne", can't remember the wifes name.

"Those who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music" unknown
mongox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 08:15 AM   #9
Buckaroo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Total Bummer about the SongDog. I've been to several Twaddlefests, which always signaled the start of a new mc season.

The last time I was there, Twaddle '03, I remember looking west and seeing a surprising increase in the number of lights on the landscape. The Twaddler I was hanging with said it had become a topic of conversation with Rev and that he was aware and down about the urban encroachment.

Buckaroo screwed with this post 08-25-2004 at 08:19 AM
Buckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 10:59 PM   #10
richard cabesa
The Mayor

Oddometer: 9,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongox
And the proprietors name per the sign as you enter, "Ozzy Osbourne", can't remember the wifes name.
J.R. and Rose sold about a year ago. The new owners name is Gary
Old 09-08-2004, 11:29 PM   #11
lasvegasrider
Scotty, I need more power

Oddometer: 2,090
Song Dog closure update - letter from government outlining issues -

http://www.songdog.com/ranch/Songdog%20Violations.htm

forum link for discussion on this issue -

http://songdog.webzepplin.com/tiki-index.php

lasvegasrider screwed with this post 09-08-2004 at 11:36 PM
lasvegasrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 11:48 PM   #12
pierce OP
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasvegasrider
Song Dog closure update - letter from government outlining issues -

http://www.songdog.com/ranch/Songdog%20Violations.htm
oh christ, he's screwed. they are claiming even his LOT isn't properly created. I'm not remotely surprised about the 'lodge', that was way noncode construction, but they are even harrassing him about his house and barns, and won't even let him run revpack. $1500 up front so he can find out how far they are going to ream him? ouch.
pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 08:22 AM   #13
Rad
Just me

Oddometer: 12,160
Not look'n good

I would bet dollars to donuts that the higher ups in the Santa Barbra County Planning Department have known about the Song Dog illegal operation for many years. As with most regulatory type agencies I’m sure they chose to ignore it because most agencies like that don’t usually go looking for trouble. Once the operation was reported to them they were/are legally obligated to peruse it. They do not have the option of ignoring building code and land use violations even if they wanted to.

The Song Dog folks have a long expensive road ahead of them. I can’t imagine they will ever be in operation again unless they find a sugar daddy.
Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 03:43 PM   #14
lasvegasrider
Scotty, I need more power

Oddometer: 2,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad
I would bet dollars to donuts that the higher ups in the Santa Barbra County Planning Department have known about the Song Dog illegal operation for many years. As with most regulatory type agencies I’m sure they chose to ignore it because most agencies like that don’t usually go looking for trouble. Once the operation was reported to them they were/are legally obligated to peruse it. They do not have the option of ignoring building code and land use violations even if they wanted to.

The Song Dog folks have a long expensive road ahead of them. I can’t imagine they will ever be in operation again unless they find a sugar daddy.
Song Dog is a viable location, and Rev and his son need to hear from supporters. They have a lot of work to do, and I wish them the best. I don't know if they monitor advrider.com posts, so I went to the forum website they have created to discuss this issue- I posted it on this thread.

http://songdog.webzepplin.com/tiki-index.php

The task of getting the facilities etal in compliance is daunting. I wish them all the best. Song Dog 2004 was a great experience; my
broken ankle screw-up aside.

lasvegasrider screwed with this post 09-09-2004 at 05:30 PM
lasvegasrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 04:08 PM   #15
Rad
Just me

Oddometer: 12,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasvegasrider
The task of getting the facilities etal in compliance is daunting.
I’m sure the Planning Department will help them in every way they can, the problem now days is that there are sooooooooo many regulations aside from the common building code ones. I will bet ya, if they, Song Dog, pursue permits they will be required to do a full EIR (Environmental Impact Review) in order to have their large scale special event and camping facilities. That alone could be a deal breaker.
Rad is offline   Reply With Quote