ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Alaska
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2009, 12:49 AM   #16
AKtracks OP
Kilted Fükengrüver
 
AKtracks's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Fairbanks, Alaska
Oddometer: 1,260
Hello again Marakesh,

Sorry to hear about your bad experience...wish we would have had our tire machine here and ready for you. We'll keep you in mind, and begin preparing for the 2011 Brit invasion.
__________________
'07 R1200GS

Adventure Cycleworks Providing support to the Adventure Touring Motorcyclist in Fairbanks, Alaska

-
AKtracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 12:53 AM   #17
AKtracks OP
Kilted Fükengrüver
 
AKtracks's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Fairbanks, Alaska
Oddometer: 1,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamertwin
Congrads on the shop/service! Nice to see a new offering in Sqbanks.
The tires look very good.
Best of luck!
Thanks! Yep, the Heidenau's are a nice tire. akwerf loves 'em on her F650GS. I just got word today that the importer/wholesaler is in the process of moving their shop, so there's going to be a bit of a slow down on us getting our order. But, if anyone is in the Fairbanks area and you want to lay eye's on a pair with ~5k miles let me know.
__________________
'07 R1200GS

Adventure Cycleworks Providing support to the Adventure Touring Motorcyclist in Fairbanks, Alaska

-
AKtracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 01:02 AM   #18
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: NEW ZEALAND
Oddometer: 1,732
Another good service to have available is a pressure washer setup for hire as the bikes are covered in mud by the time you get back, even if you have a dry run. A secure lockup so customers could leave some gear behind for the trip to Deadhorse. How about sell gas cans with a buy back deal. ? These were all things we had to suss out for our trip. And the weather forecasts !! Most important.
Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 01:35 AM   #19
AKtracks OP
Kilted Fükengrüver
 
AKtracks's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Fairbanks, Alaska
Oddometer: 1,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreaky Phil
Another good service to have available is a pressure washer setup for hire as the bikes are covered in mud by the time you get back, even if you have a dry run. A secure lockup so customers could leave some gear behind for the trip to Deadhorse. How about sell gas cans with a buy back deal. ? These were all things we had to suss out for our trip. And the weather forecasts !! Most important.
Pressure washer... got it.

No "secure" lockup, but we're ~10 miles outside of town in a good residential neighborhood... so for the most part, got it.

I like the gas can "rental" idea.... I'll be heading to the store to pick up some 1 & 2 gal. plastic fuel cans tomorrow. What do you think, $10 with $5 refunded on return? Does that sound reasonable?
__________________
'07 R1200GS

Adventure Cycleworks Providing support to the Adventure Touring Motorcyclist in Fairbanks, Alaska

-

AKtracks screwed with this post 08-02-2009 at 01:44 AM Reason: fixing typo's
AKtracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 08:40 AM   #20
LoriKTM
Wrecking Ball
 
LoriKTM's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: New Mexico
Oddometer: 1,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKtracks

I like the gas can "rental" idea.... I'll be heading to the store to pick up some 1 & 2 gal. plastic fuel cans tomorrow. What do you think, $10 with $5 refunded on return? Does that sound reasonable?
Sounds reasonable to me!

Great idea you have here, AKtracks. We're planning on Alaska in July 2010, so you'll probably hear from me again.
__________________
MDR2011 Ride Report
AMA, BRC
2008 Street Triple, 2011 Tiger 800XC, 2007 DR650, 2007 TE250, 2001 G-G280
LoriKTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:20 PM   #21
lakota
Geeser
 
lakota's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Annapolis MD
Oddometer: 2,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKtracks

I like the gas can "rental" idea.... I'll be heading to the store to pick up some 1 & 2 gal. plastic fuel cans tomorrow. What do you think, $10 with $5 refunded on return? Does that sound reasonable?
wish gas can rental had been available this summer - would have been all over it.
__________________
IBA #42016

my ride reports

follow my ride

lakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 03:15 PM   #22
AKtracks OP
Kilted Fükengrüver
 
AKtracks's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Fairbanks, Alaska
Oddometer: 1,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakota
wish gas can rental had been available this summer - would have been all over it.

Sorry for being late.

There are a couple 1 and 2 gallon cans ready to go for your next ride up this way.
__________________
'07 R1200GS

Adventure Cycleworks Providing support to the Adventure Touring Motorcyclist in Fairbanks, Alaska

-
AKtracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 05:31 PM   #23
CANADIAN BACON
CONFEDERATE CANADIAN
 
CANADIAN BACON's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Oddometer: 226
Cool2 Good Idea

My last trip to Fairbanks was not a happy one.
The Fairbanks Fun Center took 1 and 1/2 hours to change out a tire.
The guy (kid) doing the refit used a hammer to drive my axle back into the hub.
I lost it and jumped the fence and took the hammer from him.
He didn't relieve the brake pads so the rotor was binding.
The morons tried to tell me my axle was bent.
The night before I stayed at the Motel across from the H/D shop.
While packing up in the morning I see a BMW pull up to the H/D gate,
first in line, about ten minutes later a couple of H/D riders show up.
The gate is finally opened and the H/D guys are put to the front of the line.
Yea a shop with people who know what they are doing will float in Fairbanks.
Other than that, if I ever do another Alaska trip Iam bringing my own spare.
GOOD LUCK.
__________________
It's not Winning or Losing. It's Who you Beat.
CANADIAN BACON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 06:36 PM   #24
hersh_ml
n00b
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Portland, Oregon
Oddometer: 8
It is time for me to put in a good word for these guys. I called them Saturday night at 7:30pm just to see what they could do. My bike was not in great riding condition. They were at my house with a pickup less than 30 minutes later, and brought myself and my bike back to their shop for diagnosis (diagnosis for the bike only, not me). Boy was I impressed! I was not impressed with the Alaska Fun Center from the start. I'd go to Shawn and Dan first, and AFC will never get my business again if I can help it. Dan even followed up with a phone call a couple days later to see what I found and what my game plan was.

I found out that my transmission needed to be torn apart to see what was wrong, and at that point it wasn't worth the money for me to fix it. Major repairs on a bike that costs about $2000 just didn't seem like the right thing to do, and I was not pressured at all by Shawn and Dan to do something I didn't want to do. I sold the bike, and I'm buying a plane ticket home. Shawn and Dan know their stuff, and I would recommend them to anyone passing through Fairbanks.

Good luck with the business guys, so far so good!

Mike
hersh_ml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:16 PM   #25
AKtracks OP
Kilted Fükengrüver
 
AKtracks's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Fairbanks, Alaska
Oddometer: 1,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by hersh_ml
It is time for me to put in a good word for these guys. I called them Saturday night at 7:30pm just to see what they could do. My bike was not in great riding condition. They were at my house with a pickup less than 30 minutes later, and brought myself and my bike back to their shop for diagnosis (diagnosis for the bike only, not me). Boy was I impressed! I was not impressed with the Alaska Fun Center from the start. I'd go to Shawn and Dan first, and AFC will never get my business again if I can help it. Dan even followed up with a phone call a couple days later to see what I found and what my game plan was.

I found out that my transmission needed to be torn apart to see what was wrong, and at that point it wasn't worth the money for me to fix it. Major repairs on a bike that costs about $2000 just didn't seem like the right thing to do, and I was not pressured at all by Shawn and Dan to do something I didn't want to do. I sold the bike, and I'm buying a plane ticket home. Shawn and Dan know their stuff, and I would recommend them to anyone passing through Fairbanks.

Good luck with the business guys, so far so good!

Mike

Glad to hear that you're back underway Mike (even if it's not on a bike ) and thanks for the post.
__________________
'07 R1200GS

Adventure Cycleworks Providing support to the Adventure Touring Motorcyclist in Fairbanks, Alaska

-
AKtracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 08:04 PM   #26
Norwood
2WBMW
 
Norwood's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: NW AL
Oddometer: 110
+1 on the new business, got it in my data base for my Alaska adventure...
All the ideas sound great and sure you will do good in your venture..

One more suggestion. SPOT tracker rental and as a service you monitor the Spot tracker while the renter Spot is enroute to Prudhoe Bay or within Alaska.

Those like myself who own a SPOT, could include you as a contact while on the Haul road... you would receive a text message or email should the rider need help.

Hope to see you in June 2010.
Norwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 08:14 PM   #27
idea man
Plate Spinner
 
idea man's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: 101 and 246, CA
Oddometer: 2,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood
+1 on the new business, got it in my data base for my Alaska adventure...
All the ideas sound great and sure you will do good in your venture..

One more suggestion. SPOT tracker rental and as a service you monitor the Spot tracker while the renter Spot is enroute to Prudhoe Bay or within Alaska.

Those like myself who own a SPOT, could include you as a contact while on the Haul road... you would receive a text message or email should the rider need help.

Hope to see you in June 2010.
Dalton Retrieval Service.
__________________
"You know sir, there is a fine line between Badass and Dumbass." Medical Records Lady
[*]'06 1150 GSA Thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375824[*]'06 1150 GSA SE Registry: http://www.ericsyn.com/2006bmwr1150gsadv.html[*]Great Ride North, Alaska/Yukon '09 http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=494846[/LIST]
idea man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 11:57 PM   #28
AKtracks OP
Kilted Fükengrüver
 
AKtracks's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Fairbanks, Alaska
Oddometer: 1,260
We had the same idea about the SPOT rentals. I looked into it and was told by SPOT it was a violation of their user agreement to use the device or software in a commercial venture. Friggin' lawyers.
__________________
'07 R1200GS

Adventure Cycleworks Providing support to the Adventure Touring Motorcyclist in Fairbanks, Alaska

-
AKtracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 02:23 PM   #29
sharps5090
Adventurer
 
sharps5090's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Palmer, AK
Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriKTM
Sounds reasonable to me!

Great idea you have here, AKtracks. We're planning on Alaska in July 2010, so you'll probably hear from me again.
LorikTM,

Will you be riding your XR1200?
sharps5090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 01:45 PM   #30
Doogle
Studly Adventurer
 
Doogle's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Ohio-Cincinnati
Oddometer: 517
Glad to hear things are going well.

If everybody is as happy as I was,you will be expanding soon.
Sure made the Dalton ride alot better leaving luggage and spare tire behind.The SPOT rental sure would be a nice piece of mind thing.Especially when traveling alone in bad weather.Maybe they have a commercial plan you could lease.

Tell Dan I said hi.And get that Rocon running.

Doug
Doogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014