Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2009, 03:24 PM   #16
sakurama OP
on an endless build

Oddometer: 1,407
Okay, video is a royal bitch if you don't have much time so I'll try to download and process some of the on bike while we're on the ferry tonight. Right now we're in North Sydney, NS and in half an hour we're going to board the ferry to Newfoundland. I'm going to try to do this update pretty quick as it's taken me the last hour just to download images (the problem of bringing your pro gear is the files are HUGE!).

So we rode from Guysborough up to Corney Brooke campground yesterday and while we had all day to go 180 miles I think that created a sense of laziness with the troops. We had a leisurely breakfast and then a lunch and of course we couldn't pass up going to the Glenn something or other Single Malt distillery. You wouldn't either so I know I won't get shit for that.

Here we are entering Cape Breton:

We like the 14 year old but they'd run out so we took the 15. McCallan 18 it's not but not bad either.

Another crazy thing that took some time was seeing this wild, weird and strangely creepy scarecrow display on the side of the road. We stopped and spent a while with the proprietor who told us the story of how a family friend goaded his father into making more scarecrows which he did until he died and then his son took over. Here's the son with some of the creations. As far as I'm concerned this sort of thing is almost reason enough for the whole trip - I love how whacky people are.

Then around 6:30pm (4 hours later than I'd hoped) we pulled into the campground to find it (surprise!) completely filled. A fellow named Larry on a Honda Shadow had a prime spot on the edge of the cliff and we asked if he'd share his spot in return for dinner. For some reason while we were at the COOP I decided we needed five of everything and now my premonition netted us a friend and a place to camp. Sadly, I didn't really get a shot of Larry as it was late and then we took off early. No excuse really. Anyway here's our camp:

We had steaks, green beans, tomato salad and then smores for dessert (required by camping law I believe) and it was Gino's first smore and first night in a tent. We had a great time.

And I managed to play around with a little light painting camp shot. I did this same technique for a Ducati ad I shot last month. If you see any photos of the Nicky Hayden 848 those are mine.

In the morning Lauren washed dishes in the creek below:

And then breakfast on the Cabot Trail:

And yes, that's bacon AND sausage:

Gino has a slow leak in the front of the HP2 but it's no big deal - we just top it off every day or so. Lauren is amused by the bag piper across the street.

After the Cabot Trail we stopped for some snacks and met a ADV rider from Montreal headed up to Meat Cove.

As some of you may know Gino he's Italian. Not a little Italian but ALL Italian. Lauren found this amusing but kept telling Gino that "good things come in small packages!"

Okay, that's my lightning ride report - the ferry boards in 5 minutes.

Gotta go!

sakurama screwed with this post 11-07-2012 at 09:33 AM
sakurama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 03:43 PM   #17
Garand
Keeper of Useful Sarcasms

Oddometer: 679
Great report thus far!

How does one go about getting sponsored by Rev-it?? Looks like the making of a great advertising campaign so far!

Honestly, great looking stuff!
Garand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 04:08 PM   #18
Schmittenhymer
Adventure Tourer

Oddometer: 646
I'm in!
http://www.adventuretourer.ca
www.iboxcabinets.com
Schmittenhymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 04:21 PM   #19
farrelly
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Awesome trip so far. Where in nyc are you guys from?
farrelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 05:35 PM   #20
EsquireTed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Subscribed - I hope to take this exact trip some day :)
Old 08-05-2009, 08:38 PM   #21
SullyTX
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Great trip and even better photos, I'm subscribing to this one
Old 08-05-2009, 08:41 PM   #22
RideDualSport.com
TPB all the way

Oddometer: 1,450
You guy's are Adventuring in Style!
I like how the HP2 is packed with luggage... very tidy.
Alaska Deep Adventure
RideDualSport.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 07:12 AM   #23
NikonVT
Gettin Bruced Again

Oddometer: 2,446
Good photography, cool bikes, good writing and pretty women on a route that I want to take eventually - I'm in...

Bras cause cancer.
NikonVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 07:22 AM   #24
MZcountryboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,454
I'm on board -

MZcountryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 09:28 AM   #25
selkins
No hay banda!

Oddometer: 1,485
Great shots, of course. Enjoying the story-line as well. I love how you're capturing the fun y'all are having. And congrats on impending fatherhood - you're definitely making the right choice in taking the ride now.

Mid-America -- Ozarks (Darkrider) -- Lake Superior Circle Tour -- NW US -- Labrador -- Big Bend (Darkrider) -- Yukon/Dempster Hwy -- WTX/NNM/SCO
selkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 10:02 AM   #26
smithy1
rally bike slut

Oddometer: 1,133
I am (was?) planning to do the same route this fall. Not sure it is going to happen this year though.

Great report so far! I can only imaging how much fun it would be to ride along with Gino on his first "camping" trip. Gino is a riot!

Great professional pics, 2 great competing bikes, 2 beatiful women and 2 crazy "local" ADV riders. Perfect R.R. combination

Love this one:

Pine Barons Enduro Riders – Supporting south jersey enduro, hare scramble, and dual-sport riding since 1972! Please get involved and join a club. PM me for details.
smithy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 10:16 AM   #27
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,689
is this thread really just an add for revit?
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 11:32 AM   #28
b00t
errrr, yes uh-huh?

Oddometer: 321
Subscribed - great writing and pix to boot-at somepoint you gonna have to explain the gear you are shooting with. Those pix are phenom! Keep it rolling rubberside down, orange side up!
Old 08-06-2009, 05:50 PM   #29
~DC~
An Internet Legend

Oddometer: 482
I'm all
~DC~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 06:31 PM   #30
sakurama OP
on an endless build

Oddometer: 1,407
So last night we rushed from the library to the ferry and of course waited in line.

Lauren has gotten used to my constant photographing of the trip and is now actively making fun of me. Here you can see the incredibly compact nature of the HP2 with the soft bags and gas tank. And a little bit of a view of the seat that James Renazco made for Gino on a rush. Of all the people that Gino ordered gear from for this trip James is the only one to come through and he did it in less time. He also made my saddle and the one before - all four of us can't praise him enough.

I have to say that I really love the way that Canadians treat bikes. We're always pulled to the front of the line and given a bit of extra attention which is really nice. So we got the call to roll in and we approached the ferry which is massive with the whole nose open in the air.

I think there that there are two ramps to load the additional levels but we didn't see it. Here you get a sense of the scale of the ship.

The ferry workers are incredibly nice and they stack the bikes all in a row against the left wall.

At the front of the line there is a wheelbarrow of giant tie downs that are kinds I've never seen and I've seen a LOT of tie downs. The are like a fast draw with a half clamp lock action and while they don't really cinch the bike down too hard they're not supposed to. Mostly they just keep it from falling over in rough seas. Some tips for those who plan to do this trip - the deck is really slippery as it's steel and often covered in oil and when you park the bike it's best to leave it in gear to keep it from rolling.

Next we hauled our gear up to our bunks. You're not allowed to go back to the bikes once the ship leaves the dock so you have to take all you need. My top case is loaded with 60lbs of camera gear (which as some of you may know is what I do for a living) so that case is a huge bitch to carry especially up the stairs, with a tank bag and a helmet.

This trip has been my foray into working with video so I'm carrying two Canon 5D Mark IIs and three lenses; a 24-105, a 24 TS-E and a 45 TS-E. The last are tilt shift lenses which are great for perspective control but I use mainly for doing panoramas as they create seamless and perfect shots. If anyone is really interested I'd go through the gear but that's the gist of it. The 5D's do great video so I'm playing with it on this trip and hoping that I can someday replace Claudio. Those guys need someone who can ride...

Anyway, one of the things I've been toying with is doing some time lapse and I really wanted to do one of the big hatch closing so I rushed up to the top deck and set up one of the cameras with a intravalometer to catch the sequence. Here's the setup:

And here is the result which I'm pretty pleased with:

After that Judiaann and I went to the dining hall and had a very brown diner of roast beef and chicken fingers and we learned what "poutine" is. I'll update you on what that is in the next post when I can post a photo. While I was up on the deck doing my time lapse Gino and Lauren had literally passed out in the bunks by 9pm. We also discovered another interesting fact which is that Newfoundland is one half hour ahead of Nova Scotia which is one hour ahead of NYC. Never heard of a half hour before but it certainly suites the place.

We turned in by 11 or so and while the bunks looked like torture they were actually really great and I slept pretty well until about 3am when I woke up and read Canada Cycle for a bit and then decided to take a look around. The first thing I noticed was all the feet sticking out the ends of the bunks - funny stuff. Here's me reading in the top bunk.

Then I went up the to the very top of the boat and did a panorama with the 24mm TS-E. I love shooting at night and I love the erie look of the mist. There was no one up and the fog horn blew every 5 minutes and when I looked over the rail I thought how completely lost you'd be if you fell over board. I like things that scare me but the ocean isn't really one of them - it's just too damn incomprehensibly large.

Here's my pano of the top deck.

That is all for now. We're in Newfoundland and met an ADV rider named, I may get this wrong too, Jeff Smith? Just after we got off the ferry. He'd met up with a friend who was on our boat and in talking with him we told him how much we wanted to ride some of the rail trail system. He told us there was an entrance just down the road and led us to a narrow, gravelly double track and gave us some directions.

That is a subject for a complete other post - holy cow is all I have to say. The internet is wildly slow here - slower than dial up so I don't know what more I can get done tonight. The last video has been uploading for 3 hours and is only at 15% so it doesn't look good for video today. I'll try to put up another report after we hit the pool and have a scotch but I'm making no promises.

Gregor

sakurama screwed with this post 11-07-2012 at 10:00 AM
sakurama is offline   Reply With Quote