Old 08-11-2009, 02:46 PM   #106
Badger278
GS FTW

Oddometer: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Vintage
Well, short of that she rides a KLR...

Great report, keep it coming!
I'll buy her a GSA instead of a wedding ring....

2010 R1200GSA 30 Years Edition
2009 HRC RS125 (race bike)
"It all started with that damb BMX bike" Mom
Badger278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 02:49 PM   #107
scarysharkface
30-125

Oddometer: 12,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Vintage
Well, short of that she rides a KLR...

Great report, keep it coming!
Sounds low-maintenance to me.

I didn't meet her but talked to her mom quite a bit when I was up there last Summer. Her mom is very proud and even showed me pics of her daughter that rides the same bike as I. Sweet.

John

The road to Hell is paved...
Save $5 on a Smugmug subscription when you use my coupon:
yBr7OofIPuOP6
KLR takes a circular route to Big Bend '13 http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=887449
scarysharkface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 05:25 PM   #108
sakurama OP
on an endless build

Oddometer: 1,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarysharkface
She rides a KLR. Seriously.
Damn, I was keeping that to myself...
sakurama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 05:38 PM   #109
kojack
My bikes Suck!

Oddometer: 891
gregor and company,

I am coming to NYC in November for 5 days. we will meet up then and have a bite and a drink!

enjoy the trip...
kojack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 06:34 PM   #110
Badger278
GS FTW

Oddometer: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by kojack
gregor and company,

I am coming to NYC in November for 5 days. we will meet up then and have a bite and a drink!

enjoy the trip...
We always have room for a drink with an out of town ADV rider.

2010 R1200GSA 30 Years Edition
2009 HRC RS125 (race bike)
"It all started with that damb BMX bike" Mom
Badger278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 07:01 PM   #111
sakurama OP
on an endless build

Day 10 - conclusion

So after our post yesterday we went up to the bar and joined up with a fellow who we'd met the day before on the road and then again on the car deck while we were waiting to tie down our bikes. The bar was hopping with newlyweds, retires, Inuits and people trying to sleep on the floor. We found Ryan playing his guitar for rum and cokes and we shot a little video/ride report.

Untitled from Gregor Halenda on Vimeo.

I shot some stuff closer but I sort of like the "last call" and people walking around in front like the guy isn't even playing as it's exactly what we experienced. Ryan is in the military and traveling.

sakurama screwed with this post 10-08-2009 at 04:14 PM
Old 08-11-2009, 11:11 PM   #112
kaia
team F5 ⌘R

Oddometer: 1,933
great report!

great ride report guys! i was going to chime in on the "rev'it commercial" thing a few pages back, but it seems to be taken care of by other inmates.

amazing photography! couple questions - are you stitching the panoramas post-processing, or doing something i don't know of? also... there have been a few instances where you're taking video... that... how do i say it... seem a bit dangerous to be shooting with the 5dII? do you have a mount on the engine guard (in front of the left leg)? if you're not using the 5dII for the action video, what are you using?

enjoy your adventure, and ride safe!
Old 08-12-2009, 04:31 AM   #113
Flanny
Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer: 2,738
That was a really good song!
Flanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 04:52 AM   #114
sakurama OP
on an endless build

Day 11 - you meet the nicest people on a Honda

Day 11 dawned on the ferry heading into Goose Bay and we all slept really well in our tiny bunks. After coffee in the cafe Gino and I met the girls on deck as we pulled into the dock. Judiaann found a comfortable chair.

The ship only had one entrance and so we all waited on the top deck while containers and supplies were off loaded which took forever.

As for the panorama question I do some with the tilt-shift but the last couple were done by just turning the camera and making sure that I overlapped a minimum of 50%. After that I use "photomerge" in Photoshop CS4 which has some very impressive and powerful algorithms and does a near perfect job.

After unloading we decided to head into town for breakfast before we decided what layers to wear. As we stopped at the obligatory "Welcome to" sign a fellow pulls over and introduces himself, "Hi there! I saw you guys pull in and I just wanted to stop and introduce myself: I'm Leo the mayor of Goose Bay-Happy Valley."

I kid you not. We were met by the mayor as we came into town.

Leo called town hall to get us maps and information and implored us to spend a day in Goose Bay to see the town. Not in our plans but we did take his breakfast suggestion which was delicious. While packing up I noticed yet another missing bolt - are you surprised? It was the same pannier mount that I'd tightened before and I guess I needed locktite.

The first hardware store had no metric and while gassing up and considering our options a couple pulled up on a Honda Rukus and started talking to us. They offered to take us to a hardware store that would have what we needed and they were right - tons of metric fasteners. Rob then offered his garage for working on the bikes and we gladly took him up on it.

Robs garage is not a normal garage but more of a gearhead paradise. He has a Unimog.

In the hardware store I finally bought thread locking compound. The only thing they sell is permanent strength which should tell you something about Labrador.

While I was thread locking my bike, replacing fasteners and tightening the steering head bearings the girls were in the house with Rob's wife Sharon enjoying a lunch of jarred wild rabbit and gorgonzola stuffed mushrooms. Here's a shot of our generous hosts - Rob, Sharon and their son Robert who is an ice road trucker in Alberta driving the tractor trailer trains (three trailers) on frozen lakes - impressive.

At this point it was too late to make Churchill Falls in time for a tour of the hydro electric plant so we decided to take Robs suggestion and spend the night in Goose Bay - besides, the mayor asked us.

We picked up groceries and wine and headed to the cabin and Rob's son Robert met up with us for an afternoon snack and then offered to take us on a ride to see some of the area around Goose Bay. Gino and I pulled all the luggage off the bikes and suddenly we couldn't touch the ground again - that's more like it! The girls offered to prep dinner while we went out and played. Rob tore out of the driveway in a spray of gravel and a standup wheelie and Gino motioned to me that we need to be careful following a local on his KX250 - and then he hoisted the HP2 into a huge wheelie and went through the gears. Yup, that's careful for Gino.

After a few miles of dirt road Robert turned off the road to a narrow rocky track and we blindly followed. The bikes were stiff for two up and the tires were street pressure so it was a bit of a challenge but we enjoyed it.

The onbike stuff is shot with a V.I.O. lipstick cam which, as you can tell is waterproof and nearly indestructible. The camera is held in a mount and then attached with velcro which does a pretty decent job.

Robert finally stopped in a quarry where we shed layers and tire pressure. These bikes are the most versatile machines on two wheels. We rode them two up from NYC to here and then we went dirt biking. As Gino would say, "Incredible!"

After a tour of the abandoned American air base we headed back to Robs garage which included some sand. If I'd had any idea I'd be riding this sort of stuff I'd have taken my larger Woody's 21/18 with TKCs but these tires are impressive. You can tell I'm struggling by the wildly moving front wheel and plowing in the sand. Neither of us dropped the bikes though.

When we finally got back to the cabin the girls had prepared caribou stew with caribou that Rob had given us. Caribou stew, roasted brussel sprouts, tomato salad and locally grown salad. Delicious!

We've also fallen in love with this Canadian wine.

And because we live large, brownies topped with Nutella.

So that was our day 11 - completely unexpected and not according to plan and absolutely perfect.

We're now packing for day 12 and our first miles on the Trans Lab.

sakurama screwed with this post 11-07-2012 at 10:40 AM
Old 08-12-2009, 05:37 AM   #115
Lucky Monkey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
I'm SOOOOOOO Jealous.

Glad to see you both getting time for yourselves! (it's about time!)

Seth
Lucky Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:34 AM   #116
HarveyMushman
commutingmysentence

Oddometer: 16,150
Fantastic. Thanks bunches for bringing us along.

photo galleries
HarveyMushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 04:47 PM   #117
Dogscout
Been there done that

Oddometer: 1,372
Goose Bay

LAst summer a group of riders who all met up on the Trans Lab met for breakfast at Tims in HV/GB. We met Leo and he invited us to the town hall.

Thats me on Leo's Left. We all had met at various times along the TLH although we wern't traveling together. Great group of people that you meet along the road
From Atlantic Canada 08">
From Atlantic Canada 08
Old 08-12-2009, 05:58 PM   #118
selkins
No hay banda!

Oddometer: 1,472
If you get this in time, have the locals show you the way to Muskrat Falls, about 20 miles outside of HV/GB on the TLH. I stumbled on it when I was up there several weeks ago. It's well worth the side trip.
selkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 06:25 PM   #119
french horn
Just Add venture

Oddometer: 420
This is turning into one of the best rides I've ever been on ... and I'm not wearing my helmet !!
french horn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:41 PM   #120
AirDrive
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
Judiaan and Lauren are brave souls, good sports and, obviously, experienced passengers. How much time have they had on the back of your bikes?

Stay safe.
AirDrive is offline   Reply With Quote