Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2009, 03:26 AM   #1
jpooch00 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
Pissed Wanted to take a demo ride on an 800...

but the dealer said that their only demo bike was in the shop with a broken fuel pump! It had been down for several weeks and they had no idea when it would be available since, so far, they haven't been able to get the parts to fix it.

Pretty great, huh? But I have to give them credit for their honesty at any rate. Personally, if I owned a dealership I'd have a hard time admitting something like that.

I was kinda thinkin' about getting an 800 instead of a new 1200 (or whatever the 2010 R1??0GS Adventure turns out to be) because of all of the ongoing maintenance issues I've been reading/hearing about with it.

Oh well...
jpooch00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 08:20 AM   #2
clawspawn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Are all the parts that hard to get a hold of. If you have any problems you'll have to put the bike in your living room so you can set your beer on it it will work for that

clawspawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 08:47 AM   #3
Navaho
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,034
So far, getting parts for mine has not been an issue. 1 - 2 weeks usually.
Old 08-02-2009, 03:17 PM   #4
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,752
I'd have an issue with 1-2 weeks. I still get parts for my '89 Radian, delivered to my door, in less than a week.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 04:17 PM   #5
jpooch00 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clawspawn
Are all the parts that hard to get a hold of. If you have any problems you'll have to put the bike in your living room so you can set your beer on it it will work for that
Yeah, no shit!

I don't know about all of the parts. This is a failed luel pump that they can't get. The bike had about 400 miles on it when it failed. I didn't have the heart to ask if the guy that was demoing it at the time got stranded. I assume he did though.
Old 08-02-2009, 04:42 PM   #6
Navaho
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,034
First fuel pump failure I've heard about.
Old 08-02-2009, 05:13 PM   #7
LarryC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
When I got mine the dealer simply refused to let me test drive an 800 before purchase. They said all of their bikes were pre-sold and could not take the risk. So I did the impulsive thing and bought it sight unseen. I do not regret it other than I might have looked harder at the 650 as the bike sits very high for a midget mike myself.
LarryC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 05:22 PM   #8
Foofighter
Broken Sportbike Rider

Oddometer: 217
When I went in to buy my Honda (I know not a 800...) 125, they also said I could not test ride it. They said it might be months until they sell it and they did not want to put oil and gas into it and have it sit for months. This seems kind of lazy to me...
Foofighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 05:41 PM   #9
jpooch00 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foofighter
When I went in to buy my Honda (I know not a 800...) 125, they also said I could not test ride it. They said it might be months until they sell it and they did not want to put oil and gas into it and have it sit for months. This seems kind of lazy to me...
I agree. The beemer dealer in Denver practically insists that you take a demo ride. They're on some kind of program where they can't sell a demo bike till it hits 3000 miles. I'm happy to help them out every chance I get!

I've put about 100 miles on one of their R1200 GS Adventures and they said that I should come back anytime and ride it some more. Of course, I'm probably going to actually buy one when the 2010's are available, so I'm not really taking advantage of them. Also, since they insisted, why the hell not?!

Great folks at BMW of Denver. I've yet to hear the first negative thing about any department at that dealership. And like I said before, they're honest to a fault!
Old 08-03-2009, 04:46 AM   #10
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,766
BMW gives the dealers a price break on the bikes that are demos.
Honda doesn't give dealers jack, so it comes out of the dealer's already thin margin of only 8-12% or so. I wouldn't give test rides either.

That stuff about the pump would make me want to call Bob's and ask how soon I could get that pump to my door. But, they may have meant delivery and install window combined too.
There's no way I'd buy a bike that hard to get parts for, if that's the case.
I can have parts in a couple of days for my 82' Honda 450 (if it ever breaks) and the Hodaka, and next day for the BSA in most cases.
That's some bull.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:57 AM   #11
kojack
My Hardley is a POS

Oddometer: 969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando
I'd have an issue with 1-2 weeks. I still get parts for my '89 Radian, delivered to my door, in less than a week.
Yep,

Thats why i love my klr....btw, i had a radian too....loved that bike!
kojack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 02:21 AM   #12
jpooch00 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelWisman
The Demo f800GS at Gateway BMW in St Louis runs great, has some nice accessories fitted to it, and is for sale at a screaming good price :)

Gateway also has one used F800GS and 2 new F800gs's for sale last I checked.

Come on down for a ride if your close, fly down and ride back if your not

P.S. I don't think the fuel pump is hard to get, I have seen them ordered in pretty quickly, Likely Denver is busy and the demo is not their highest priority, service tends to want to spend resources on service customers 1st, just guessing though.
Thanks for the invite, I appreciate it.

Actually, the Denver store sales guy calls me about once a week and asks if I want to come and ride their demo bikes so that they can get 3000 miles on then and be able to sell them. I don't know what the status on the 800 is right now. Might check this afternoon.

I guess if they're busy with customer's bikes and had to put the demo on the back burner, I can understand and respect that. Putting customers first should be the priority in a good dealership.

Thanks again and ride safe,

John
Old 08-08-2009, 10:34 AM   #13
rhicks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpooch00
I agree. The beemer dealer in Denver practically insists that you take a demo ride. They're on some kind of program where they can't sell a demo bike till it hits 3000 miles. I'm happy to help them out every chance I get!
!

Yeah and I probably would have walked out with that day if they could have sold it. The 800 had 819 miles on it when I was finished.
rhicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 01:29 PM   #14
rocket25
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Denver BMW

I was out in Denver a few years ago, they had a 1200s< they ask if i wanted to ride it, of course I did. He said take it out and could go to Morrison if I wanted to, and of course I wanted to be nice (since I was from out of state (Arkansas). This was when these bikes first came out, thought that was pretty special.
rocket25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 04:21 PM   #15
jpooch00 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket25
I was out in Denver a few years ago, they had a 1200s< they ask if i wanted to ride it, of course I did. He said take it out and could go to Morrison if I wanted to, and of course I wanted to be nice (since I was from out of state (Arkansas). This was when these bikes first came out, thought that was pretty special.
Yeah, that's what I mean about those guys. They're the best vehicle dealership of any kind that I've ever dealt with. They will absolutely get all of my future business!

Where in Arkansas? I'm originally from Texarkana myself. I'm a permanant Colorado transplant now, though.

Keep the rubber down,

John