User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2009, 03:37 PM   #1
mhutch2 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
1200GS windshield on a 650 twin - the search for windshield nirvana

I've been reading and researching on the quest for a better windshield for the F650 twin. I even spent some of my hard earned dollars on a Givi in the hope that I could keep some of the wind off me without getting tons of turbulence. Like most of you I found that it's better but not great. In fact, I actually experienced increased turbulence with the Givi screen.

Rather than go broke buying different shields I figured I'd learn from others. Unfortunately, it seems no one has come up with the perfect answer. The variables are too great - height, inseam, low seat, regular seat, etc...

Anyway, I figured I'd try something totally out of the box. I regularly read the Gspot threads and it seems that there isn't a whole lot of complaining about the OEM screen. So I'd thought I try one on my 650 twin to see how it would work.

I purchased one from a fellow inmate off a 2006 1200gs and after a lot of head scratching got it mounted with making it look too jimmyrigged. Here are the pics.

http://picasaweb.google.com/mhutch22...eat=directlink

The results: Better but not quite fantastic. I've moved the windstream up to just above my visor. I still have noise but the turbulence is pretty much gone. I'm thinking if I had tried an adventure sized shield I might be there. I'm also thinking of seeing if I can acquire one of the "vario" thingies.

So... the search goes on! Please comment and/or ask questions.

mhutch2 screwed with this post 08-02-2009 at 04:41 PM Reason: better title
mhutch2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 05:22 PM   #2
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhutch2
So... the search goes on! Please comment and/or ask questions.
We bought Cee Bailey screens for our F650GS and F800GS BMWs, and my wife likes hers on the 650, but I wasn't happy with mine, an 18" Euro cut, on the 800 because I was getting a lot of air under my full coverage Shoei helmet, making my eyes water and practically blinding me.

But one time while riding I put my hand under my chin and found that changed the wind patterns and I was much more comfortable. So I remembered that one of the other helmets I had came with a kind of mesh chin guard which just slipped into place, and made all the difference.

I haven't had any more complaints at all with my setup, after about 10,000 kilometers of riding.

No idea why a higher screen caused my eyes to water, but it was horrible.

You might want to drop into a bike shop and ask if they have any of those chin guards - my shop gave me mine for free.

I'll post a picture tomorrow if you want to see it.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 07:51 PM   #3
seebag
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Thought I'd chip in and give you my two cents. The variables: 5'-8", low seat and standard suspension on my F650 twin. I have the F650, F800 and touring windshields. I purchased the BMW touring shield first as it was the only available a.m. shield at the time I bought my bike. IMO, the touring windshield blocks the wind very well. It looks ok, it's sturdy and fits the bike perfectly, but the downside is the outrageous cost of it. It is good, but I'm not sure it is worth the $500 (CAD) that I paid for it good. In fact I probably would not buy it again, now having the experience of riding with the F800 shield.
On to the F800 shield. I bought it used for a fantastic bargain ($150 USD) and have been very impressed with it. It seems to be the perfect compromise between function and style (for me). The wind blockage is much better than the F650 but slightly less than the touring shield as more wind hits my shoulders. No difference in helmet noise between the F800 and the touring either.
In conclusion, I use the F800gs shield as my everyday shield, but will put the touring shield on for longer multi-day tours for the additional coverage. Really, any more than say 500kms a day (day after day) would justify the switch over. Any less and I leave the F800gs shield on and don't bother.

F650:
Function - 4
Looks - 5
Value - stock

F800:
Function - 7
Looks - 9
Value - 8 (used)

BMW touring:
Function - 9
Looks (F650) - 7
Value - 3
seebag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 11:49 AM   #4
mhutch2 OP
Adventurer

Thanks for tips and comments

Thanks for the tip about the helmet chin guard. I'm using a Caberg Trip and I believe it came with one. I'll look for it and try it.

Seebag - we're almost exactly the same size and running the same setup. I thought about trying out a 800 windshield but the cheapest I came across was $150. I only spent $50 on the used 1200 screen and less than $10 for the bolts and hardware. I'm in the process of making an add-on lip that will work something like the MRA Vario. I'm also thinking about making some dovetail slides out of phenolic material and rigging it up like the Windbender windshield I had on my GL1800. That was very adjustable and way cool. Here's the link to their site. Sadly they don't make a screen for a BMW.

http://www.firecreekacc.com/Windbender_HP.html

When I get it complete and tested I'll post the results.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:36 PM   #5
Bushwhacker
Dirt, Sweat & Gears

Oddometer: 442
For those that think there should be no wind on a Motorcycle -

http://www.parabellum.com/stores/sho..._ID=75&CATID=3

When you look like a rude, crude, scum sucking cretin, people tend not to ask you stupid questions!
Bushwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 07:07 PM   #6
markymcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 882
Quote:
Sadly they don't make a screen for a BMW.

http://www.firecreekacc.com/Windbender_HP.html

When I get it complete and tested I'll post the results.

funny you use this link... my plan was to buy their bracket (around $25) and create my own with a combination of the 800 windshield and the powerbronze shield... I will hack and file the powerbronze to function as the 'exterior' shield in front of the 800 shield... this will give me adjustability plus will allow air from inbetween the shields to eliminate the buffeting from the top.

when I eventually get it done I will post the pics.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:45 PM   #7
mhutch2 OP
Adventurer

Now you're talking

Markymcd - I'm liking how you think. I never thought about contacting Windbender to see about getting their sliding mechanism. I guess I'm a little on the cheap side and like the challenge of seeing if I can make something.

It just so happens that I manage a prototype shop and have access to lots of bizarre materials and tools, not to mention the guys at the shop are genius at figuring out how to make things. I dug a huge chunk of black phenolic material out of the trash bin today and plan on working on making a set of dovetail slide mechanisms. If that fails I'll contact Tom at Windbender and use theirs. Also, one of the guys at the shop showed me how to shape acrylic to make an outer windshield that will have the same profile as the OEM 1200GS windshield I fitted to my 650 twin. He even built me a jig from a pattern I drew off the top of the windshield.

Wish me luck
Old 08-06-2009, 08:28 PM   #8
markymcd
Studly Adventurer

You should check out the Touratech desierto windshield. I was just there today and they say it's still not in. They did have one on the 1200gs though and it really seems like it fits the bill of what we're all looking for. Just don't look at the price
Old 08-06-2009, 08:38 PM   #9
mhutch2 OP
Adventurer

Ouch - just checked out the Desierto

That just ain't right! How many do they think they're going to sell at that price? I could see $300 or maybe even $400 if it was really well done and quality materials. But come on $800 plus? However, that's exactly the idea I'm going for - just way more towards the cheap side.
Old 08-07-2009, 07:08 PM   #10
markymcd
Studly Adventurer

Quote:

That just ain't right! How many do they think they're going to sell at that price? I could see $300 or maybe even $400 if it was really well done and quality materials. But come on $800 plus? However, that's exactly the idea I'm going for - just way more towards the cheap side.

if you get something figured out send me an email at mark_mcd@mac.com

I'd be very interested in seeing what you come up with.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:38 PM   #11
markymcd
Studly Adventurer

Okay... I've found what I think is "IT".... the 'robo bracket' by MadStad. It's designed to attach to your existing shield and attach another shield to it with full adjustability... it looks like they are just about to be released. I've sent them an email to ask about price and availability.

http://www.madstad.com/s.nl/sc.10/.f

cheers,
Mark
Old 08-07-2009, 09:00 PM   #12
mhutch2 OP
Adventurer

me likey the robobrackets

I emailed them and volunteered to test them on my 650twin. Thanks for the tip. BTW - I'm working on the dovetail slide mechanisms tomorrow. I'll post pics if they're presentable.