User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2009, 09:17 AM   #1
twinjet OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 306
F658GS Which first, Skid plate or Crash bars

Budget constraints dictate doing one this year and to other next year. The question is which should one do first a skid plate or crash bars?
twinjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 09:58 AM   #2
rdtele
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
I spent a couple hours sampling a tamer portion of the TAT yesterday. My vote is for crash bars.

Had a stupid 'wrong foot, wrong place, wrong time' zero mph topple over at the top of a steep hill. Crash bars did their job and spared I guess what could have been a lot of broken plastic.
rdtele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 10:33 AM   #3
twinjet OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdtele
I spent a couple hours sampling a tamer portion of the TAT yesterday. My vote is for crash bars.

Had a stupid 'wrong foot, wrong place, wrong time' zero mph topple over at the top of a steep hill. Crash bars did their job and spared I guess what could have been a lot of broken plastic.
I've been known to do that from time to time also. Got high centered on a log once. Lately it's been mud and water puddles.

Which bars do you use?
Old 08-03-2009, 11:02 AM   #4
rdtele
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinjet
I've been known to do that from time to time also. Got high centered on a log once. Lately it's been mud and water puddles.

Which bars do you use?
I went with the Wunderlich adventure-sized bars.
rdtele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 12:23 PM   #5
frtzl
Mors longa, vita brevis

Oddometer: 231
Bars, without a doubt. I dropped my bike in a 0mph dumbass parking lot move. The bars took the scratches and I was able to ride away from my shame.

F

My rides:
2009 BMW F650GS (The Cruise Basselope)
2009 Yamaha Zuma 125 (Sold due to new commute)
2000 BMW R1100R (Blaue Engel) (Traded)
2006 DL650 Euro Black, lightly customized (Godzuki) (Sold)
frtzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 12:28 PM   #6
SkiFastBadly
A beer? Yes, please

Oddometer: 1,522
Quote:
Budget constraints dictate doing one this year and to other next year. The question is which should one do first a skid plate or crash bars?
Which do you plan on doing first, hitting a rock or tipping over?

2008 Buell Ulysses
2008 Triumph Scrambler
2004 HD Heritage Softail
SkiFastBadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 12:39 PM   #7
twinjet OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiFastBadly
Which do you plan on doing first, hitting a rock or tipping over?
No planning required! I know I'll do both, but not sure in which order. Hence this humble attempt to learn from the group which statistically may happen more often while acknowledging that both may (will) happen more often to the less skilled rider.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:42 PM   #8
twinjet OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by frtzl
Bars, without a doubt. I dropped my bike in a 0mph dumbass parking lot move. The bars took the scratches and I was able to ride away from my shame.

F
Always good to be able to ride after the "event".

2 votes for bars so far.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:55 PM   #9
SkiFastBadly
A beer? Yes, please

Oddometer: 1,522
Quote:
No planning required! I know I'll do both, but not sure in which order. Hence this humble attempt to learn from the group which statistically may happen more often while acknowledging that both may (will) happen more often to the less skilled rider.
Well then, a more serious answer:

Crash bars prevent cosmetic damage in the event that you drop the bike. This is most likely to occur if you've just started riding.

A skid plate, on the other hand, may prevent engine/oil pan/oil filter damage to the bike which would could leave you stranded in the middle of nowhere. On the other hand, this is unlikely unless you're a pretty aggressive rider and you ride in rocky/gnarly areas.

The macho thing to do is go for the bashplate, as it conveys a certain adv 'c'est la vie' attitude toward plastic scratches, and a 'seriousness of purpose'.

The smart thing is probably the crash bars, because nobody REALLY enjoys gouges in their plastic.

2008 Buell Ulysses
2008 Triumph Scrambler
2004 HD Heritage Softail
SkiFastBadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 12:56 PM   #10
triclavian
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Crash bars. Rarely will you go somewhere you need a skid plate but have little chance of tipping over. Crash bars are the greatest invention in the world.
triclavian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 01:05 PM   #11
M N B
would rather be riding

Oddometer: 1,122
Crash bars for sure.

Bash plates are great, but I've yet to need one and I've needed the crash bars (just once, though).
2003 Husqvarna TE610e
1997 BMW K1100LT Special Edition
M N B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 01:10 PM   #12
Desert Dave
Enjoying the moment

Oddometer: 2,706
I actually use my skid plate more often than the crash bars, so for myself the plate has probably done more to protect my bike. I'm not to concerned with cosmetics, but the crash bars go a long way in protecting the radiator, which could leave you screwed if it were busted.

Having said that if I had to choose one or the other, it would be the crash bars simply because I never plan on using them, it just happens. Sometimes in really easy terrain. The skid plate on the other hand I usually know when the bottom is going to hit an I do it anyway only because the plate is there, if it wasn't I could adjust my riding a lot easier to not use it.

Desert Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 02:04 PM   #13
twinjet OP
Gnarly Adventurer

So far the bars have it.

More recommendations for bars and a couple of well reasoned bash plate comments. Being a reletive newbie to off road riding, bars may be a good first choice for me followed by a bash plate.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:23 PM   #14
Law Dawg (ret)
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 820
I have the Adventure-Spec crashbars and bashplate...like them both very much. Go for the crashbars first as your F8GS has a plastic bashplate already (a wimpy one but good for a low level bash) and the odds of you dropping your bike are much better than you single tracking Trials riding over logs and boulders at this point. Drop you GS and the price for repair (even excluding cosmetic repair) can hurt you bad. The very next farkle should be the bashplate to protect the oil filter and cooler doohickey. It all works out as the crashbars are installed first before the bashplate anyway (if you had them both in hand).
Old 08-03-2009, 03:01 PM   #15
twinjet OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law Dawg
I have the Adventure-Spec crashbars and bashplate...like them both very much. Go for the crashbars first as your F8GS has a plastic bashplate already (a wimpy one but good for a low level bash) and the odds of you dropping your bike are much better than you single tracking Trials riding over logs and boulders at this point. Drop you GS and the price for repair (even excluding cosmetic repair) can hurt you bad. The very next farkle should be the bashplate to protect the oil filter and cooler doohickey. It all works out as the crashbars are installed first before the bashplate anyway (if you had them both in hand).
Sorry, not even a plastic bashplate on the F658GS. But good advice none the less.