Oddometer: 820
Brain fart...appologies.
Old 08-03-2009, 03:31 PM   #17
Desert Dave
Enjoying the moment

Oddometer: 2,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinjet
Sorry, not even a plastic bashplate on the F658GS. But good advice none the less.
I'll bet you could buy a plastic skidplate for next to nothing from someone who upgraded an 800 an doesn't care about keeping the stocker, and I'm sure there's a ton out there. Double check me, but with the right hardware I think it will bolt right on.

Law Dawg makes a good point, that as little protection as the plastic one gives it's a whole lot more than nothing, an at least gives you a fighting chance.

Desert Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 04:28 PM   #18
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Oddometer: 1,150
Get the Skidplate

I have seen an F800GS with the standard "Bash plate" on a simple gravel road flick up a stone from the front wheel and break the oil cooler, putting the bike on a trailer.

I have also seen so much mud build up on the oil cooler and filter that the engine overheated.

It's a shame that both the 658 and 800 don't come with a real bash plate, but I suppose if you just travel from cafe to cafe for your latte's it's not an issue. (Not a lot of accessible dirt roads in Germany I believe!)

So my advice is to get the plate first. I don't know what brand of stuff your getting but in Australia the SW Motech stuff seems very well priced.
Ducksbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 04:43 PM   #19
]I)Money
D NOT I

Oddometer: 3,492
bash plate, and a cheap-ass Wal mart set of pannier bags. 30$ will prevent almost all of the cosmetic damage that bars will (DAMHIK).

I've ripped a hole in a oil filter before, so I'll take the plate, if I can only have one.

"Another road remains, but it provides no more. It can only take us away"
]I)Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 09:20 PM   #20
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,787
Crash bars first for sure! You can navigate your bike around tall rocks and stumps, and negotiate how you ride over or through ruts or low spots. But it's the lost-balance 0mph tip or low-speed off that's out of your control that you'll be wishing you had crash bars. And tank panniers won't do anything to protect the vital radiator in a tip-over. They could actually make it worse since they stick out off of the side of the bike's side plastics and would transfer the force directly to the radiator assembly more efficiently.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 06:05 AM   #21
twinjet OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Law Dawg
Brain fart...appologies.
Been there, done that
twinjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 06:10 AM   #22
twinjet OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Dave
I'll bet you could buy a plastic skidplate for next to nothing from someone who upgraded an 800 an doesn't care about keeping the stocker, and I'm sure there's a ton out there. Double check me, but with the right hardware I think it will bolt right on.

Law Dawg makes a good point, that as little protection as the plastic one gives it's a whole lot more than nothing, an at least gives you a fighting chance.
Hmmm, maybe I can do both. Plastic bash to start then upgrade later.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:18 AM   #23
twinjet OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Three more bash plate votes and one more for bars. The two choices seem to be sorting into terrain and riding related components. Bash plates for the gnarlier terrain and faster (better?) riders versus crash bars for those unplanned "omg" events that can happen independently of terrain or riding style (or lack thereof in my case).
Old 08-04-2009, 07:02 AM   #24
triclavian
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Three more bash plate votes and one more for bars. The two choices seem to be sorting into terrain and riding related components. Bash plates for the gnarlier terrain and faster (better?) riders versus crash bars for those unplanned "omg" events that can happen independently of terrain or riding style (or lack thereof in my case).
Yep. If you have to ask, crash bars .
triclavian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:17 PM   #25
Law Dawg (ret)
Studly Adventurer

One thing to keep in mind Twin is the peace of mind crashbars will give when things get sandy, rutty, or bumpy. It's not just for that parking lot oops. I have taken my bike into desert conditions sans the crash bars and the fun was reduced by worry for the repair bill if it went side down. Sand is something that I can ride but just cannot get past the nerve abrading part. Nothing feels right and the techniques required are just not natural. Second to that was my concern about the oil cooler/filter (had the cheese plastic plate that does not even cover the front).

Save beer cans and get both if possible (me? two kids in college...I scrimped) but I cannot recommend crashbars enough.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:19 PM   #26
twinjet OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Getting both at the same time would be great but spreading the cost out over time makes it easier to get by the "Finance Minister" than if one big bill shows up on the card.
Can't sell the kids 'cause they've grown up and moved out of the house. And the grand kids are to cute to sell.
Saving beer cans does have its side benefits.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:27 PM   #27
Dert Gerl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
One more vote for crash bars. I broke my radiator mounts on my first challenging off road ride while I was getting used to the bike. Kind of a bummer.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:11 AM   #28
twinjet OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dert Gerl
One more vote for crash bars. I broke my radiator mounts on my first challenging off road ride while I was getting used to the bike. Kind of a bummer.
Which cost more the bars or fixing the radiator mounts? Just curious.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:04 PM   #29
Dert Gerl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Which cost more the bars or fixing the radiator mounts? Just curious.
The bars cost more, but the radiator will never be the same. I broke all four mounts and was only able to properly fix the top two. One on the bottom is rigged with jb weld, the other bottom one is not attached to anything.

The mounts that are actually on the radiator are what broke on mine, so you have to get a new top bracket, drill out the pop rivets, bend the fins out of the way trying to get the bottom piece of the rivet out and then mount the new one. It's an ugly mess when you're done. A functional ugly mess, but an ugly mess.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:10 PM   #30
Law Dawg (ret)
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dert Gerl
The mounts that are actually on the radiator are what broke on mine, so you have to get a new top bracket, drill out the pop rivets, bend the fins out of the way trying to get the bottom piece of the rivet out and then mount the new one. It's an ugly mess when you're done. A functional ugly mess, but an ugly mess.
So with this in mind Twinjet...how much is your time worth? I installed my crashbars and bash plate in about 30 minutes actual.

Law Dawg (ret) screwed with this post 08-06-2009 at 06:23 PM
Law Dawg (ret) is offline   Reply With Quote