User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2015, 12:11 PM   #1
doublemocha OP
Nulla

Oddometer: 27
Wicked shock absorber for the side car?

what are you using for a shock absorber on your sidecar? the bike to receive a sidecar is a 2004 r1150 GS adventure. it is being set up for dual sport application. i would say it will carry a moderately to heavy load. what is the shock absorber that will go good with the bike? of course looking for the best one for my application ...thanks
doublemocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 01:46 PM   #2
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,759
Have you decided which sidecar you will be using with your bike? That matters. Also, will you be carrying a passenger, a dog, or cargo? How heavy?
Old 03-02-2015, 02:18 PM   #3
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 4,199
Seeing as you are in LA, I would not hesitate to go with Works Performance Shocks.

I've got Works shocks on all three corners of my 1200GSA/DMC rig.

http://www.worksperformance.com/

They have done a lot of sidecar suspensions over the years and are very knowledgeable.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:23 PM   #4
doublemocha OP
Nulla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad View Post
Seeing as you are in LA, I would not hesitate to go with Works Performance Shocks.

I've got Works shocks on all three corners of my 1200GSA/DMC rig.

http://www.worksperformance.com/

They have done a lot of sidecar suspensions over the years and are very knowledgeable.
thanks that is very helpful, i already gave them a call.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:26 PM   #5
doublemocha OP
Nulla

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE View Post
Have you decided which sidecar you will be using with your bike? That matters. Also, will you be carrying a passenger, a dog, or cargo? How heavy?
the rolling chassi is still being build, the box will be home made. total cargo will be moderate to heavy...thanks
Old Yesterday, 08:39 AM   #6
jaydmc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,041
We run both Hagon and Progressive brand while not the absolute best, they offer good value.
I will be in your area with my 2014 R1200GSA / Expedition rig the weekend of the 14th and 15th for a memorial service. Taking the direct route through SLC, and Death Valley.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
866-638-1793
jaydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:34 AM   #7
Hookalatch
Born Under Bad Sign

Oddometer: 381
If you want to look into the Hagon shocks Dave Quinn is a super guy to deal with and very knowledgeable. No conection, just a multi-time satisfied customer. Google his name if interested.

Chuck
Hookalatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:50 PM   #8
claude
Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer: 3,714
If you are close to Works Perfomance that would surely be a good choice. Great folks there, You could possibly take your sidecar chassis to them or do some diagrams for them to look over. Seems like many talk only about spring rates but there are other factors that come into play as well.
>>>>Where the shock is mounted on the swingarm is one of Them. Is is ahead of the axle or behind it? Closer to the pivot will require more sprig rate etc etc.
>>> What angle is the shock mounted on? Is it such that the rod moved as directly as possible in and out of the shock body through bump and rebound or are there side loads put on it? Too much side loads will cause shock issues. We have seen 5 60 k out of a fairly inexpensive progressive shock on a word tour that was still doing fine. Have seen others who have had issues almost out of the box with the same shock due to poor mounting practices.
>>>Will the spring rate increase due to proper shock travel as it should or will it be all over the place due to poor shock mounting points? This can be a baffling issue for those who do not understand how important shock mount locations can be.
>>> Some who have shock issues 'solve them' with stiffer shocks or by adding another shock when many times the 'problem' was how th eshock was mounted and not the shock at all.

Note a shock mounted between the axle and the swingarm pivot may need to be stiffer than one mounted at the the axle or behind it.

If a shock is laid down more it will need to be stiffer.

So as in so many things we see on the net comparing apples to apples is not the case

>>
l

Founder: Internet Sidecar Owners Klub at SCT
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/

President: C Stanley Motorsports Inc.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...rsandTrailers/

http://freedomsidecars.com/
claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:46 AM   #9
doublemocha OP
Nulla

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydmc View Post
We run both Hagon and Progressive brand while not the absolute best, they offer good value.
I will be in your area with my 2014 R1200GSA / Expedition rig the weekend of the 14th and 15th for a memorial service. Taking the direct route through SLC, and Death Valley.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
866-638-1793
PM send
Old Today, 07:45 AM   #10
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer: 3,535
I have one of Claudes rigs he uses allot of Progressives it worked well but after a couple seasons I put on a Works (very adjustable damping) , from the drivers point of view I could hardly sense any difference, but my passengers really like the Works better.DB