User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2009, 12:03 PM   #1
VintageThumper OP
Gotta ride!

Oddometer: 1,026
Gore Tex outer layer

I'm looking for a Gore Tex shell, to be worn over a mesh riding jacket that has body armor (namely, a Rev'it Turbine). My bike is bright orange, so I don't really need anything in one of the screaming safety colors. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
VT
Old 08-04-2009, 12:45 PM   #2
jet123
Using all my gears

Oddometer: 4,420
Nowadays, you have just as many choices in non-goretex as well (and Goretex is still a good choice):

Marmot has some in-house stuff called 'Membrane'(?) that works fine as well as a lower cost alternative (rain gear only) called 'Precip'

Lowe Alpine has 'Triple Point Ceramic'

The North Face has their own stuff too.

Best bet is try it on to make it (obviously) fits over your gear.

Check out sierra trading post for good deals on closeouts from a variety of companies

http://rerax.net/index.html
jet123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:59 PM   #3
Geodesic
Explorer

Oddometer: 176
I like Marmot and Arc'teryx shells. Before I got my new riding suit, I'd been using a Marmot Minimalist jacket over my Joe Rocket mesh and it worked great for me. It's not oversized, just what I'd normally wear - fits fine over my mesh. I'll probably use it over my new gear too once it starts raining again since it's so light and compact. It has a hood, but it doesn't bother me when riding. Marmot also has some jackets with high collars w/rollup hoods if you prefer that. It also has zippers in the pits down the arm for venting, so keeps you dry but can also give you airflow if it's hot.

Another good spot for deals is Backcountry Outlet

Geodesic screwed with this post 08-04-2009 at 01:06 PM
Geodesic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 06:10 PM   #4
NJ Moto
Running Free

Oddometer: 7,398
Are you sure you want Gore-Tex? Don't get me wrong I love the stuff, I have a suit and boots with Gore-Tex but it's expen$ive. If you just want something to put over your mesh jacket and keep you dry you can look at the Frogg Toggs Road Toad motorcycle suit. Cabela's sells the whole suit jacket and pants for about $60. A similar suit made of Gore-Tex can cost three to four times as much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuKeu...feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYqF_BtIwAU
"Can we get a party to finally represent us?" - Cenk Uygur
NJ Moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:06 AM   #5
canoli
human

Oddometer: 1,482
Using a North Face shell over my mesh gear. Allows me to layer as needed, has pit zips that vent really well and it allows me not to own another 1 use type of jacket (helps to justify the cost). The cheap rain gear is good for about 20 min, then you'll start to cook in it. Just like everything else, you get what you pay for.
canoli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:22 AM   #6
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Oddometer: 4,135
Go to a running store and get something waterproof and breathable. North Face and Patagonia make very good long lasting stuff.
exoff-roadgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:39 AM   #7
VintageThumper OP
Gotta ride!

It looks like you're a step ahead of me on the track I want to take with this. The makers of motorcycle jackets with the Gore Tex layer inside the jacket claim the Gore Tex can't work properly unless it's as close to the body as possible. But it sounds like you've found that Gore Tex works better than nylon with a non-breathable coating, even if it's used as an outer layer. Correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by canoli
Using a North Face shell over my mesh gear. Allows me to layer as needed, has pit zips that vent really well and it allows me not to own another 1 use type of jacket (helps to justify the cost). The cheap rain gear is good for about 20 min, then you'll start to cook in it. Just like everything else, you get what you pay for.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:41 AM   #8
VintageThumper OP
Gotta ride!

Good idea! I've been looking at Gore Tex type shells from other sports, but most come with an attached hood (not wanted). But runners proabably don't like hoods either. I'll give it a go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by exoff-roadgoat
Go to a running store and get something waterproof and breathable. North Face and Patagonia make very good long lasting stuff.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:27 AM   #9
jet123
Using all my gears

Oddometer: 4,420
Almost all (maybe all?) waterproof/breathable garments work on moving the moisture from an area of high pressure to low pressure.

The low pressure is generally outside of the user and the high pressure is the are within the garments that the user is wearing. Now in some areas (humid south for instance), there can be little difference so little of that moisture is moving. But you paid a high $$$ to get that feature.

I agree with previous posters that I would save a few $$$ and just get rain gear - maybe some with some built-in venting to help move air through the garment. FroggToggs (sp) come to mind as do several other options from various moto companies. Besides, you are probably not using this gear the majority of the time anyway.

http://rerax.net/index.html
jet123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 02:38 PM   #10
wonky
Team F5 !

Oddometer: 471
klim stow-away

i think this is what you're after

The main thing I'm into is going about on a bike, taking random routes; I'm really into the idea of making up journeys, and just seeing where they take you, because they always end up taking you someplace freaky.
Tom Jenkinson (squarepusher)

KLIM in the UK
Giantloop in Europe
adventure-spec
F800GS Crashbars
Yamaha Tenere Parts
KTM 690 Adventure-Spec Parts
KTM LC8 Adventure and SE Skidplate
wonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 04:19 PM   #11
Geodesic
Explorer

Oddometer: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonky
Nice! Adding that to my list to get eventually. Love that Goretex Paclite. I kind of wish they had matching pants.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:26 PM   #12
VintageThumper OP
Gotta ride!

I picked up a Klim Stowaway, and it's pretty close to what I need. But it's definitely a bare bones type of shell. I like that it's cut to fit over armored gear, is genuine Gortex, and has an excellent waterproof zipper. But someday, I'd still like to find something similar, but with pockets and zipped vents.