User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2009, 09:17 PM   #1
666 OP
Agnostic and Orange

Oddometer: 1,312
ADV rejects go to MOAB

All 4 of us basically went through some sort of advrider stages. Somehow we got sucked in that big open fire road and tent with side bags and big ass top bag mystique. Then it just got boring. No offense, but boring.

Then we promptly sold the big bikes and got real dirt bikes. I am too stupid, so I went through 2 iterations. Weestrom to 640 adv and finally 450 exc+truck. Other guys got rid of 950s, dr650s and 1200gs . Truck and small dirt bike .
And now here is report from MOAB, first week of may 2009. Sadly, we made all of it now or most of it, at least around MOAB.
Last year we went to Moab as well, so we are not talking about big bike friendly White Rim Trail could be driven in a civic here.
So, first day we decided to warm up and go to Kane Creek. Via route to Chicken corners. Here is Don supervising me.
">
">

">

Kane Creek, not so deep and lots of fun . I must say that Kane Creek is very nice ride. In either direction.
">
">
">

Then it got a little more challenging

">
">
">

">">
">

Chicken corners. Your weestrom can do it with street tires.
">

More to come, need a brake.

666 screwed with this post 05-13-2009 at 08:51 PM
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:02 PM   #2
666 OP
Agnostic and Orange

Well,
Next day we went to Porcupine rim. Also very nice ride, take all ibuprofen you can find. Rocks, more rocks and even more rocks. Then you get to dead end and repeat the whole thing. You would pass slick rock on the way, which is very easy and pleasantly relaxing ride. You can ride it while sleeping.
First obstacle, can you see my bike up there?
">

We all went different ways up, but most left is the best. Unless you fall over into the canyon.
Some guys had to repair brakes on the trail
">

But we made it to some nice views
">

In the morning bunch of MTBs get shuttled to the top and then they are going down the porcupine rim. I ride MTB as well and I wouldn't have enjoyed it too much. But some of them looked rather attractive. Not that super sexy but good looking anyway. Compare to rocks.

">>
"

">>
">

">

">">
And then we had lunch at the dead end

">

">

We also went to Fins and Things on the way back. It has some nice sand road and slick rock. Not difficult, only if the big bike falls on you accidentally. Slick rock has amazing traction.
">
">

Next day we went to Lockhart Basin. Long ride, starts a little hard but then it's like white rim trail for next 30 or 40 miles.But you can get gas and cold beer at the Needles outpost.
Took as almost 2 hours to find entrance. We tried every single wash until it would get impassable. Finally we found it.
Really hot. My bike got boiling problems on the way back due to thermostat malfunction. Had no coolant in radiator at the end.
">
">
">
">
">
">
Overall this ride would be more interesting on the big bike.

666 screwed with this post 05-13-2009 at 08:22 AM
Old 05-13-2009, 12:56 AM   #3
Eddieb
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 916
Quote:
Originally Posted by 666
All 4 of us basically went through some sort of advrider bs.

Then we promptly sold that crap and got real dirt bikes. I am too stupid, so I went through 2 iterations. Weestrom to 640 adv and finally 450 exc+truck. Other guys got rid of stupid 950s, dr650s and 1200gs crap. Good riddance.What a bunch of retarded shit. I am glad it's over. Truck and small dirt bike is the way to go.

Kane Creek, not so deep and lots of fun . I must say that Kane Creek is very nice ride. In either direction.
So now that you've alienated what most of the other riders here seem to enjoy, where do you see the line between adventure riding & trial riding?

For me Adventure riding combines being able to cover distance on the road and get places and see sites normal bikes can't. Whereas you would now rather trailer queen there and ride more difficult terrain that obvisouly the bigger bikes aren't so suited for.

I would consider that you've moved from Adventure riding in trail riding, and that your lead in comments belittle most other members interests of this site.

www.AdventureRidingNZ.co.nz Free GPS tracks for New Zealand & more
www.FlyingtheChair.co.nz - NZ sidecar forums
Eddieb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 05:32 AM   #4
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,370
Looks good, except for your intro.. You'd have to be pretty good or pretty stupid to try this kind of riding on big D-S bikes.. And some folks on here don't think very highly of folks who truck and ride. Different strokes for different folks.. Even the bikes you're on in this report might be too big for some, as mentioned above, certain portions of the ride shown are more suited to trial bikes. Still, Moab always makes for great riding and spectacular pics
Old 05-13-2009, 08:15 AM   #5
bouldergeek
Filthy, poor KLR dweeb

Oddometer: 1,074
I find that level of dirt biking akin to the Jeeper community. When I go to Moab, I drive six hours in my TJ Wrangler, which is reasonably appointed for offroad usability. But, in the hierarchy of Moab visitors, I see far better, doubly expensive Jeeps being towed in and out behind million-dollar mega RVs.

For myself, I just don't see the point in bringing hyper-specialized equipment in to test agains extreme rock formations. I just want to drive to cool campsites, and enjoy my dinner and beverage of choice as far away from other yahoos as possible.

There's no limit to throwing specialized equipment at a problem. I just prefer the "run what ya brung" method. Now, if you commuted to and from Moab on those bikes, and could live on what you had with you in your Camelbaks, that would be impressive.

From the End of the Earth to the End of the Road: South Pole to the Darien
bouldergeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 09:00 AM   #6
Stinez
Rhymes with Heinz :D

Oddometer: 47,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by 666
All 4 of us basically went through some sort of advrider stages. Somehow we got sucked in that big open fire road and tent with side bags and big ass top bag mystique. Then it just got boring. No offense, but boring.

*snip
That looks like great fun.

Perhaps next year I’ll try to mooch an invite.
(Yes. I’d truck the dirt bike from here to there and yes, some will get over that fact.)

Do you need a plated bike to get to and from the trailhead or are you guys staying close enough that a license plate isn’t needed?

As to the poke.

I understand your view but...There is a time and a place for big bikes.

The GOP puts the "Con" in Conservative.
Stinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 09:02 AM   #7
RockStalker
Looking at rocks...

Oddometer: 106
I got my wheel wedged at the top of that rocky section on porcupine trail. Not as bad as some of the guys, and our leader when off the edge on the left there. We all thought we lost him for good.
RockStalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 01:54 PM   #8
666 OP
Agnostic and Orange

Thanks for responses. I didn't mean to offend anyone, just described how I and most off my friends feel. I did several long trips on bikes but then you can't ride hard stuff, bike handles like crap with all that gear etc. Last year I went on a big bike and didn't have nearly as much fun. The best riding there is pretty hard. Plus vacation is too short, much easier and faster to truck and ride, especially in the group.

You can bring unplated bike and use a plate from street legal bike, but then you can possibly get in trouble. Also you can truck bike to the trailhead, not that difficult.

I have about 100 more pictures to post and just as many videos.
Will work on it later today.Some really nasty stuff.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:01 PM   #9
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,175
Great pics. I'm completely with you on the bike selection. I like street, dual sport and dirt bikes, but for real off road (not dirt roads) you just can't beat a real dirt bike!

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 02:19 PM   #10
cagiva50
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Stinez I didn't think you would have the time off for the trip, next time. Plated bikes are the best way to go. You have to travel on pavement to get to the various trail heads from Moab. Trucking the DS bikes to Moab from Nor Cal was the best way to save time and knobbies. I would NOT want to ride my trail geared DRZ400 (14/47) 1000 HOT windy miles, especially if it was loaded w/ all the needed off road gear etc. I guess you could take back roads but.....

cagiva50 screwed with this post 05-13-2009 at 02:39 PM
cagiva50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 07:37 PM   #11
thechickencow
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 666
Great stuff-
I've ridden the porcupine rim on mtb from town, all the way up, and all the way down back to town. I'd be lying if I said I didn't wish for a dirt bike on the way up at least. After the dead end it gets pretty damn hairy for a mtb at spots, I took a spill and came pretty close to a 15' drop that would've hurt bad.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:35 PM   #12
666 OP
Agnostic and Orange

another day at moab

Anyhow,
Then we decided to do Poison Spider and Sovereign trail on the same day.
First was Poison Spider. You go up and right above Moab. Nasty jeep trail.
First big obstacle. There is deep soft sand before that, so it's hard to gain and keep momentum. My progress was interrupted by stuck atv.
Chris is testing ground:

">
Here you can see me struggling
, you also can see stupid atv rider working away. His friends had to ride it out.
">
Here is the arch, no we didn't ride it.
">
Here you can see Moab rim trail. if you zoom in you can see 3 jeeps, right in the middle
">
More views
">
">
And here is golden crack
">
And this is how we made it. Easy
">
">
More views
">
Then we had to deal with more rocks
here I was going to fast and did a big jump, this is what happens when you go first. Other guys were more carefull
">
">

">
Then we went to Sovereign trail. We went there before, so now went in opposite direction. I really liked that trail. I wish I could ride it every week. Tough, narrow and bunch of cool obstacles. I am posting pictures from both directions here
">
">
">
">
">
">
">
">
Here I was going up but crashed and flipped bike upside down. MTBs were standing in the wrong place and spooked me. Short legs don't help.
">
Nice filter
">
">

more later, I have to figure out how to link a video from picasa.

BTW, when local dirt rider realized that we had some trouble riding Sovereign trail he changed his mind about going for a ride with us on some other trails. I wonder what he had in store for us.

666 screwed with this post 05-14-2009 at 06:18 PM
Old 05-13-2009, 09:07 PM   #13
dave6253
Dauntless

Oddometer: 2,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by 666

... so we are not talking about big bike friendly White Rim Trail could be driven in a civic here.
Other than the intro I really enjoyed reading your RR with some great photos of you and your pals having a good time on challenging trails.

I don't want to offend or start a bitter dispute but I have to ask. Would you go to a Harley Davidson Forum and belittle the other members with statements about being sucked into the mystique of chrome, leather tassles, and chaps? We all have different ideas about what makes a great motorcycle adventure. I enjoy reading all sorts.
BTW, I'd like to see you get a stock Honda Civic through the White Rim Trail. I guess some tourist has probably tried, but that's probably why they post the warning about tow charges costing $1000. I found that trail to be quite challenging on a big bike.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:09 PM   #14
Rellik
o-KAY!

Oddometer: 589
Ride what you frikken brung and enjoy the hell out of it!
Old 05-13-2009, 09:28 PM   #15
666 OP
Agnostic and Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6253
I found that trail to be quite challenging on a big bike.
Practice. Learn how to ride offroad. Clutch control. Buy a dirt bike and ride it every week. WRT is as easy as it gets. The one little section with deep sand, nothing else.
My first dirt bike was F650 gs and then weestrom with knobbies.Little did I know.
I guess I have different view on adventure riding.

666 screwed with this post 05-13-2009 at 09:33 PM