User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2009, 01:46 AM   #1
klrmatt OP
Playing in the dirt

Oddometer: 77
Paradise Dam Ride Queensland

Ross (rossf650dakar) and I (klrmatt) had been talking about doing a ride for a while, eventually the destination of Paradise Dam, west of Biggenden Queensland was chosen. Everyone was invited, but no takers… you all missed out on a great trip.

Paradise dam is a new addition to Queensland’s water supply and has recently pretty much filled, it is a beautiful spot, worth checking out. It is stocked with Australian Bass, Barramundi, Golden Perch and Silver Perch.

Ross poured over the maps and google earth resulting in a sensational ride that took in some brilliant fast sweeping gravel, tight single trail and some tricky 4WD tracks.

Both living in Brisbane this meant a trek of close to 1000 kms there and back, we had to do some hard top transports, but the fun started on the dirt.

The bikes, Ross’s awesome KTM990, one of the best set up bikes you will ever see and my humble little battler the KLR650. Now they are a strange match, but with the 990 in cruise mode and klr having its neck wringed, we managed to keep together for the majority of the trip. An interesting thing was that the 990 and 650 basically had the same fuel economy for the whole trip.

Just once Ross decided to show me how it was done and when I caught up to him, he was under a tree in shade having a smoke. “I pulled up laughing and asked if that was his first or second smoke.. with a grin he replied… second of course!”

Saturday night we set up tents in the campground, downed a bottle of bundy and fair amount of red, told stories, made plans and then staggered off to the tents for a sleep.

Sunday we woke up and the whole place was whited out with thick fog. Packing was little slow, but we eventually got away at around 9am. Day two’s riding was sensational with a mix of everything thrown in. Had to back track a couple times when tracks just disappeared on us, but then we got on one of the most fun bush roads you could imagine, very fast, flowing and every different type of surface known to man, the track was absolutely brilliant. The day ended being one of those epic rides where you just keep going and going. We both knackered by the end of it. I tink we did around 550 kms for the day.

We rode through cattle stations, some private property and got chased out by an owner on an old XT225 (we missed the tiny private property sign… honestly). We knew the road went through, but there was no arguing with him.

Here are a few pics from the weekend, some are mine the others are Ross’s. Wasn’t much time to take photos, too busy having fun riding.

Thanks Ross for an excellent ride and great weekend.

Matt

klrmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 02:33 AM   #2
mcfear
now known as many things

Oddometer: 2,588
awesome mate,

woulda loved to come, but had training at the fire brigade (im a rural)
mcfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 02:28 PM   #3
klrmatt OP
Playing in the dirt

McFear,

Was a great ride, will organise a KLR outing through some of it soon, so you should come along. Understand about the rural fire training, grew up on a farm and did the same. Good thing to be involved with, the CFA do a great job.

Matt
Old 08-17-2009, 03:38 PM   #4
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,367
Nice ride and pics!! Thanks for sharing the fun
Old 08-17-2009, 09:29 PM   #5
klrmatt OP
Playing in the dirt

Thanks for that, it was fun couple of days. Have been meaning to do other ride reports, but time generally gets away.

I have trip from Brisbane Qld to Ballarat Vic (2500kms) and another that was 3 weeks around Tasmania 2up on the KLR to still post about.