ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2009, 08:07 AM   #16
DannyG
I have the waypoint.
 
DannyG's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Oddometer: 3,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbbillder
Joel, I can't afford the wear & tear on the TKC's....it's cheaper to haul with the Tundra!
it is significantly less wear & tear per tire when you split it between 6...
__________________
“Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.” Helen Keller (1880 – 1968)
My toys: 00 GS1150; 84 Ericson 30+
DannyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 09:03 AM   #17
espi
scheming adventurer
 
espi's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Lake Arrowhead, CA.
Oddometer: 517
more pics

Ok, so we finally start to head out to get gas/ food in Mamoth






the cows must be setting up an ambush-- its just to quite...





leaving camp





finally in Mamoth where we picked up Garry, making us a six pack of riders-

Joe- v strom, Bill- trans alps, Zack- 990 , Derrill- KLR, Garry -KLX, me- DR.






Zack passing me up







Pole Line rd- heading to Bodie






__________________
07 DR650 "The Tanker" as in fuel...- SOLD
08 KTM 990 ADV "Calavasa". sold
2011 F800GS "Vroomhilda"
espi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 09:20 AM   #18
espi
scheming adventurer
 
espi's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Lake Arrowhead, CA.
Oddometer: 517
some of us airing down...






One of us aired downed too much.

pinch flat in Bodie...







Zack eats bread during the repair.



the road ahead...






fixed...,
Garry back on his KLX









Derrill on his KLR...











Then Bill on his Trans Alps















Joe coming around from Bodie on his infamous V strom..










then Zack







Hah! Finally meeting Joel & the So. Cal. group...








The Nor Cal group... well, except for me.






In Nevada...














border of CA/ NV





Masonic...




Joe proud of his flower power V strom





Going back to Cali..


__________________
07 DR650 "The Tanker" as in fuel...- SOLD
08 KTM 990 ADV "Calavasa". sold
2011 F800GS "Vroomhilda"

espi screwed with this post 08-06-2009 at 10:20 AM
espi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 04:37 PM   #19
GalacticGS
1200 GS Rider
 
GalacticGS's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Camas, WA
Oddometer: 2,196
Starting to sort through my pics. I'm not familiar with all of the SoCal and NorCal crews that showed up for this ride, so I apologize ahead of time if I get some names wrong...

I was staying at the McGee Creek Lodge, but rode over to the campsite Friday morning. Met Stonewall, Hurty and some others. Stonewall organized a ride over to the little Red Rock Canyon, so I tagged along.

We headed east on paved Benton Crossing Road before it turned to dirt...

I think this is Cory (the "andme" part of Hotmamaandme)


This might be NotBetty leading the way...




Making sure everythings OK before hitting the Chidago Canyon Road


On the Chidago Canyon Road which winds through a red rock canyon - Hotmama on the Ural




After getting through the canyon, the road straighens out and we hit the intersection with Fish Slough Road. The others were going to head north towards Benton, but Kelley and I decided to fly down the Fish Slough Road towards Bishop - and fly we did, at least into the 90's and close to 100mph over much of it.

Soon we came to a little area with petroglyphs...




My riding buddy for the day - Kelley


It wasn't long before we hit the intersection with Casa Diablo Road and Chalk Bluff Road. We took Chalk Bluff west towards the highway, and then south into Bishop. On Stonewall's recommendation we ate at the Petite Pantry - great food at a good price.

After lunch, we went back on Chalk Bluff Road, but took Casa Diablo north. After some initial turns where you have to be a bit careful, it starightens out and again we were flying up the road most of the way.





Soon, it was back into camp (which was starting to get busy with more and more Adv's showing up).

h8chains had showed up with Sopascat and were looking to get a ride in during the afternoon, so a group soon started forming for another ride...
__________________
Larry
2006 R1200GS; 2009 Husaberg Rally 570; 2011 Husaberg FE570
www.galacticgs.com
"Speak to me of summer, long winters longer than time can remember;
Setting up of other roads, travel on in old accustomed ways."
GalacticGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 06:37 PM   #20
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick
 
longtallsally's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: BACK IN THE STATES!!!
Oddometer: 4,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbbillder
Joel, I can't afford the wear & tear on the TKC's....it's cheaper to haul with the Tundra!
You are such a loser. I don't care if you're faster than me, you're still a loser for trailering (ooh, I feel all ooky for even saying it out loud) a GS.

Great report Joel! You guys had some fun! I probably should have gone to Bodie with everyone on Saturday, but knowing that I wanted to do the hike the next day, I kept it tame... Until I got to road to Reward Mine...
__________________
[quote=Insert witty comment here]
longtallsally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 07:10 PM   #21
Desertdweller
Adventurer
 
Desertdweller's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: SoCal IE
Oddometer: 78
Wink

Hey Larry, those are some good pics (this is Kelley). Great ride down to Bishop and back. Definately (sp?) plan to do that one again. Stoneman turned us on to a excellent ride. My apologies to you all for doing a disappearing act after friday, but the wife and I were on our second honeymoon (of sorts), and well......other activities took priority.

I enjoyed riding with the whole h8chains group, and plan on joining them on their next Big Bear ride. Especially enjoyed that bit of cattle rustling along the sandy trail. Made me feel like Billy Crystal in "City Slickers". Gotta keep a watch on those guys with their oversized GPS units though.

See you next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalacticGS
Starting to sort through my pics. I'm not familiar with all of the SoCal and NorCal crews that showed up for this ride, so I apologize ahead of time if I get some names wrong...

I was staying at the McGee Creek Lodge, but rode over to the campsite Friday morning. Met Stonewall, Hurty and some others. Stonewall organized a ride over to the little Red Rock Canyon, so I tagged along.

We headed east on paved Benton Crossing Road before it turned to dirt...

I think this is Cory (the "andme" part of Hotmamaandme)


This might be NotBetty leading the way...




Making sure everythings OK before hitting the Chidago Canyon Road


On the Chidago Canyon Road which winds through a red rock canyon - Hotmama on the Ural




After getting through the canyon, the road straighens out and we hit the intersection with Fish Slough Road. The others were going to head north towards Benton, but Kelley and I decided to fly down the Fish Slough Road towards Bishop - and fly we did, at least into the 90's and close to 100mph over much of it.

Soon we came to a little area with petroglyphs...




My riding buddy for the day - Kelley


It wasn't long before we hit the intersection with Casa Diablo Road and Chalk Bluff Road. We took Chalk Bluff west towards the highway, and then south into Bishop. On Stonewall's recommendation we ate at the Petite Pantry - great food at a good price.

After lunch, we went back on Chalk Bluff Road, but took Casa Diablo north. After some initial turns where you have to be a bit careful, it starightens out and again we were flying up the road most of the way.





Soon, it was back into camp (which was starting to get busy with more and more Adv's showing up).

h8chains had showed up with Sopascat and were looking to get a ride in during the afternoon, so a group soon started forming for another ride...
Desertdweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 07:12 PM   #22
sbbillder
Gnarly Adventurer
 
sbbillder's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: my wife's handbag
Oddometer: 458
Larry (GalacticGS), it was a blast riding with you! It was great to ride with someone that wasn't afraid to get their GS dirty (or scratch it for that matter, but I won't go into that here ). You really know how to handle the big pig and aren't afraid to twist the throttle!!

My most memorable experience of the rides: going down Wayland Trail, you leading, me behind & to the right about 5 feet, we go into a slightly off camber & loose left hander a little (or a lot) too hot, locking up the brakes & nearly blow the turn....nice saves!!

Looking forward to future rides.....stick around long enough & I'll show you how to put that thing on a trailer & tow it!!

Bill
sbbillder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 07:12 PM   #23
SenorPeligro
Proper Naughty
 
SenorPeligro's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Off the wrong map
Oddometer: 1,962


Great riding out there.
__________________
It's just good clean dirt.

Video Antics
Where am I Riding?
Baja Blitz Yard Sale
SenorPeligro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 07:19 PM   #24
sbbillder
Gnarly Adventurer
 
sbbillder's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: my wife's handbag
Oddometer: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by longtallsally
You are such a loser. I don't care if you're faster than me, you're still a loser for trailering (ooh, I feel all ooky for even saying it out loud) a GS.
Oh, I'm sorry....what's that you say? I couldn't hear you over my WORK phone, you know cause I have a job & all......oohhhhh, did I say that out loud?.....that's uncomfortable!!!


just kidding, continued success on the job search......XOXOXOXO
sbbillder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 07:36 PM   #25
GalacticGS
1200 GS Rider
 
GalacticGS's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Camas, WA
Oddometer: 2,196
h8chains had showed up with Sopascat and were looking to get a ride in during the afternoon, so a group soon started forming for another ride...

So a group of us soon took off north from the camp, taking Hen Sage Road and cutting over to Owens River Road.

Sopascat was intense on her DRZ400




Kelley on his big KTM


There they go...


Time for a pee break




Typical pose for h8chains - taking pictures...


Another break...


We got onto some pretty fun trails up in the forest - h8chains was riding so fast I couldn't keep him in focus


Eventually we got to the top of Lookout Mtn with some great views all around...








Soon we were on the trails again trying to find our way back to the camp - this became a pretty typical pose for RSKE - checking his supersized GPS for a direction back


The rest of us are just following along






I think we were going in circles for awhile but eventually we found a poleline road that seemed to be heading in the right direction. Unfortunately it ended up to be pretty much a fairly deep sandwash.
Sopascat went down, and I helped her up. A little further down the wash, she goes down again, but this time I had to take pics...




Another 1/2 mile down the wash, and I tipped over my pig. Luckily RSKE was there to help me get her back up on her feet.

Soon, we were back at camp and enjoying Dunerat's carne asada!


__________________
Larry
2006 R1200GS; 2009 Husaberg Rally 570; 2011 Husaberg FE570
www.galacticgs.com
"Speak to me of summer, long winters longer than time can remember;
Setting up of other roads, travel on in old accustomed ways."
GalacticGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 07:45 PM   #26
GalacticGS
1200 GS Rider
 
GalacticGS's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Camas, WA
Oddometer: 2,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertdweller
Hey Larry, those are some good pics (this is Kelley). Great ride down to Bishop and back. Definately (sp?) plan to do that one again. Stoneman turned us on to a excellent ride. My apologies to you all for doing a disappearing act after friday, but the wife and I were on our second honeymoon (of sorts), and well......other activities took priority.
Kelley - We missed you on Sat (and Sun). Had some great riding, but I understand your priorities!!!
__________________
Larry
2006 R1200GS; 2009 Husaberg Rally 570; 2011 Husaberg FE570
www.galacticgs.com
"Speak to me of summer, long winters longer than time can remember;
Setting up of other roads, travel on in old accustomed ways."
GalacticGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 07:49 PM   #27
GalacticGS
1200 GS Rider
 
GalacticGS's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Camas, WA
Oddometer: 2,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbbillder
Larry (GalacticGS), it was a blast riding with you! It was great to ride with someone that wasn't afraid to get their GS dirty (or scratch it for that matter, but I won't go into that here ). You really know how to handle the big pig and aren't afraid to twist the throttle!!

My most memorable experience of the rides: going down Wayland Trail, you leading, me behind & to the right about 5 feet, we go into a slightly off camber & loose left hander a little (or a lot) too hot, locking up the brakes & nearly blow the turn....nice saves!!

Looking forward to future rides.....stick around long enough & I'll show you how to put that thing on a trailer & tow it!!

Bill
Bill - you're a hard man to keep up with but I did my best! Wyman Creek trail was a definite blast to ride - and it's neat to ride fast and close with those you can trust! Now about the towing thing - well, I'm not so sure.
__________________
Larry
2006 R1200GS; 2009 Husaberg Rally 570; 2011 Husaberg FE570
www.galacticgs.com
"Speak to me of summer, long winters longer than time can remember;
Setting up of other roads, travel on in old accustomed ways."
GalacticGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:07 PM   #28
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...
 
Nowwhat's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: On the Ground Laughing
Oddometer: 4,681
What the hell.....

Nowwhat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:26 PM   #29
Hotmamaandme
Wishing I was riding RTW
 
Hotmamaandme's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Gardnerville NV
Oddometer: 2,677
Desertdweller
Adventurer



Joined: Aug 2007
Location: SoCal IE
Oddometer: 21





Quote:
GalacticGS






GalacticGS and Desertdweller Nice meeting you two. I will throw up the pics I have of you two.



Here you are right before you guys turned it up to 90+





__________________
My screen name is kind of long. I am the "ME" part, my name is Cory.

Jimmy Lewis quote: "Those KLRs are full of potential. Just takes a rider..."
Hotmamaandme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 11:24 PM   #30
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"
 
NSFW's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Burbank CA
Oddometer: 16,166
good reporting guys.....

pour in all those pics......

unfortunate for me, smug is down till tomorrow morning....

larry i believe you're home safely by now.........
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014