Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2009, 06:29 PM   #61
GalacticGS
1200 GS Rider

Oddometer: 2,063
The Sunday ride...

Leaving camp on Benton Crossing Road heading east - Joel leads the way

On Chidago Canyon Road

We took Chidago Canyon Road to Fish Slough, where we tried setting land speed records again. I think sbbillder won at a little more than 100mph. We did stop at the petroglyphs for a short while, and then sped on our way again.

Waiting for everyone at the end of Fish Slough Rd

The honda's in the group headed into Bishop to top off fuel, and the rest of us went to the beginning of Silver Canyon to wait for them

Soon we were on our way up Silver Canyon. I was having too much fun to stop and take pictures, and then we reached the one steep and loose section where we say RandyM part way up the hill on his V-Strom spinning his street tire. RandyM was going to ride with our group, but mistakenly ended up leaving with another group that took the pavement route to Silver Canyon. Well, we caught up to him at just the right time. He had gotten into the loose stuff on this steep section, and overheated the clutch. We helped him back his Strom back down the hill.

In the meantime, we had lost Joel. Oh there he is down the hill...

I think he took a spill, and someone went back to help him. In the meantime, RandyM was letting his clutch cool and then was going to ride back down the hill. Soon, it was our turn to tackle the steep section.

sbbillder went up on his GS pretty easily, and then I went to take my GS next. Unfortunately, I got on the wrong line from the start and started bouncing around on my GS - made a few saves before finally dropping it about half way up. With some help from Bill, and maybe a few of the others we soon had my GS up on two wheels again and I made it the rest of the way up.

Most of the rest of our group made it up OK, except for one of the Honda 650's in our group (I forget the name). It looked like he grabbed too much throttle at the start because it looked like his bike went vertical. He ended up with a gash on his hip, and Zen Slug rode back down with him.

Soon we were on our way up the canyon to the gathering place at the top.

Our group split up at this point, some wanted to head the rest of the way up to the research station; but Bill, Joel, and I headed straight towards Wyman Canyon Road.

Wyman Canyon was a complete blast! I should have stopped to take a lot more pics (especially of the water crossings), but I was having way too much fun riding down this trail to stop. Much of the way, Bill and I were hauling ass pretty much side-by-side. So there's just a few pics where we stopped once for a short rest.

Once we made it down to 168, we took the pavement all the way back. The twisties on 168 were fun, and we stopped in Bishop for lunch. Then it was back to camp. Dunerat cooked up some more carne asada which was a great end to a great day!
"Speak to me of summer, long winters longer than time can remember;
Setting up of other roads, travel on in old accustomed ways."
GalacticGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 06:42 PM   #62
Hotmamaandme
Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer: 2,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp4ce
Rut roh, I might be buying a new snap cam...my wife and I have destroyed three over the last two years of riding. What model are you shooting
Im butting in here but this is my 2 cents

I have been using the Olympus Stylus 1030SW 10.1 meg pix. Its a point and shoot real live adventure camera. Drop proof water proof (can be used in up to 15 ft of water) crush and freeze proof. Takes Pano's too. It combines them in the camera. I think it takes great pics and its easy to use with gloves.

Jimmy Lewis quote: "Those KLRs are full of potential. Just takes a rider..."
Hotmamaandme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:55 PM   #63
espi
scheming adventurer

Oddometer: 517
camera

I'm using the olympus stylus tough. 12 megapixels. 2 meter shockproof, 10 meter waterproof. I love the little thingy!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp4ce
Rut roh, I might be buying a new snap cam...my wife and I have destroyed three over the last two years of riding. What model are you shooting
espi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 10:06 PM   #64
joefromsf
Dark Happens

Oddometer: 1,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8chains
where ever joefromsf shows up, flat becomes inevitable

the proof and i got more....
Not sure I agree with those statements. I wasn't synonymous with flats until that fateful day we came upon GalacticGS at Steel Pass. Maybe he's the jinx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8chains
the plan was to take horse meadows from tioga pass to june lake and was confronted by this sign.... , it didn't look official, but anyway, we decided not to trespass
We saw that sign too and agree it doesn't look official. However we interpreted it to mean do not go left into the small residential area. We continued south another half mile (if that) to the beginning of the Horse Meadows Loop. Once there, we checked the signs and it was definitely posted that motorcycles were cool on the Horse Meadow Loop roads.

BTW, Horse Meadow Loop was my favorite new route for the weekend. It was a blast and very scenic.

We can't crash an infinite amount of times, so you better learn from every one! (by ARZ)
joefromsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 08:36 AM   #65
GalacticGS
1200 GS Rider

Oddometer: 2,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromsf
Not sure I agree with those statements. I wasn't synonymous with flats until that fateful day we came upon GalacticGS at Steel Pass. Maybe he's the jinx.
Hmmm, I guess I can't really argue with you there; although I was thinking flats seem to happen whenever Joel has a camera (which seems to be all the time).

Quote:
We saw that sign too and agree it doesn't look official. However we interpreted it to mean do not go left into the small residential area. We continued south another half mile (if that) to the beginning of the Horse Meadows Loop. Once there, we checked the signs and it was definitely posted that motorcycles were cool on the Horse Meadow Loop roads.

BTW, Horse Meadow Loop was my favorite new route for the weekend. It was a blast and very scenic.
Looks like we missed a great route! Something to look forward to for next time.
"Speak to me of summer, long winters longer than time can remember;
Setting up of other roads, travel on in old accustomed ways."
GalacticGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 10:05 AM   #66
espi
scheming adventurer

Oddometer: 517
last of the pics...

slept here Sunday, had to get some real sleep before riding back to the OC monday...

ok, loaded up, monday morn... & about to drop down into Bishop

had to readjust my load- I had no space for my camel back. from this:...

to this:

fire in the Sierras...

the Mojave once again...

the solar farm!! just outside Kramer junction...
got to love technology!!

and ...home

The End!
thanks for the good times!

cheers,

espi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 11:47 AM   #67
sbbillder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalacticGS
Wyman Canyon was a complete blast! I should have stopped to take a lot more pics (especially of the water crossings), but I was having way too much fun riding down this trail to stop. Much of the way, Bill and I were hauling ass pretty much side-by-side. So there's just a few pics where we stopped once for a short rest.
Larry, I had a blast riding Wyman Canyon with you guys.....I may have had a little more fun on this though!!

sbbillder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 12:49 PM   #68
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by espi
slept here Sunday, had to get some real SHEEP before riding back to the OC monday...

pablo, did you say sheep or sleep?..... just kidding and your report was very nice....
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 12:54 PM   #69
NSFW OP
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,898
Quote:

if we only knew.......so it will be another year..
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 03:02 PM   #70
sbbillder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 458
Typically I am pretty good about taking photo's on rides.....for some reason I took a total of 5 photo's the entire trip tp WMRS '09. I guess I was enjoying riding too much!!

Here's what I have......

Joel (H8chains), our fearless leader. BTW, black is apparently the new grey!!

He just has the "certain" look about him, doesn't he.......the "I've been in prison before & I don't really care if I go back" look!!

This dude was sportin' the Euro style retro front fender.....gawd I want an XRR!!!

One of these two guys would finish the day in the hospital!!

Along the way met up with another group. Larry (GalacticGS), center of pic, getting ready to address the nail in his rear time. Apparently GS don't come stock with run-flat's like the 'vette's!

End!!
sbbillder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:33 PM   #71
1224R
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,770
Great Pics.... Gilla bummer about your injury heal up quick.......
1224R is offline   Reply With Quote