User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2009, 10:07 PM   #61
Supersignet OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Day 12: Aug 6, Huidong to Panzhihua, maybe to Luguhu

Today we woke up early. The incident with the police had left us with an uneasy feeling and we just wanted to get out of Huidong as quickly as was possible. Lisa was still feeling sick, but she too wanted to leave. None of us could believe what had happened the night before and none of us wanted to spend any more time in Huidong than needed. We quickly packed the bikes and headed out.
Random roadside waterfall

The road to Huili (the half way point) was easy and quick. We were done the 70km in just over an hour. There were some rough spots but nothing that could really slow us down. The four of us thought at this pace we might be able to make Luguhu by 6 or at the latest 7 in the evening. We pressed on and when we entered Huili we asked one of the motorcycles which road we had to take to get to Panzhihua. He pointed his finger and we set off. Our early morning smooth road experience had ended. We were onto of some of the muddiest roads I’ve ever seen. The whole road for 40km was ripped up to be widened and the huge amounts of rain made this one of the largest and longest mud baths anyone could have ever imagined.

The crappy knobby Kendas came into their own and the bikes were breezing through the mud. Some mud was half way up the side boxes and again for me it was a lot of fun. My wife also thought it was funny to see the bike flinging mud and passing everything from water buffalos, to Land rovers to big trucks with easy. The light weight of the bike, the gearing and the tires made short work of the shit road and I was quickly ahead of everything and everyone Marcus was a little uncomfortable on the loose surface and opted for a side road that was supposed to be better. We agreed to meet in Panzhihua and decide about the rest of the trip after lunch. Lisa and I were cooking. We had the road to ourselves and the bike was happy, still smoking but happy.
Marcus in mudlside traffice

Me in mudslide traffic

Due to Lisa’s illness and the fiasco with the police the night before I had neglected to check the oil in the bike. Honestly I just clean forgot about it. There were more important things on my mind and I thought I’d only gone 120 km, the bike couldn’t have used much oil in that short distance. Really I wasn’t too worried about it. I knew I shouldn’t have any trouble making it into Panzhihua and I was enjoying the mud.

During the road construction all the road signs had been removed and we finally realized we had missed our turn after about 30 extra kilometers. Back tracking is never fun and we were told there was a new road under construction about 15km back the way we came. The road was small and narrow and went over the peak of a small mountain but we were assured the bike could make it over. We turned around and headed back to find the short cut.

Just as we were told about 15km down the road we found the unmarked road and turned left to go up the mountain. Another shit road, the hours of mud, the illness and the extra 45km were getting to Lisa. She needed a break and I promised we would stop as soon as we got into Panzhihua. The bike made it over the mountain with ease and after pushing it under a fence we were back on the main drag headed into Panzhihua. We still had 40km to cover but it was all nice easy road. The bike should be able to do it with no problem. About an hour later we were pulling into town and the engine went dead, no electrics, no spark no nothing. I checked the batter terminals and the positive was loose. I tightened it up and the bike started right up. Another 5 km down the toad and the bike died again. I flipped it onto reserve and it started up again with no problem. Just as we were pulling into town the bike made a big screeching sound and ground to a halt. It wouldn’t start, nothing I could do would get it going. I checked the multimeter, it said 12.8v, I checked the gas, yep it had gas, then it dawned on me I hadn’t checked the oil today. I pulled out the drain plug and knew the engine was toast. Even before I looked at the dip stick I could smell the metal. The dipstick confirmed my fears, nothing, not even a drop of oil on it. Just to be doubly sure I flipped out the kickstarter and tried to turn the engine over. The only feeling and sound I got was a nasty metal on metal scrape and a lot of resistance from the friction. The Shineray was dead. That asshole in Anshun had ruined my engine so he could have his 25 RMB for the oil change and those fixers in Huize didn’t really have a clue about the right way to fix a bike and then there is me, the guy who didn’t check the oil. The only thing that wasn’t at fault was the Shineray itself. It was amazing that the battered engine had managed to get us this extra 1000km. I ripped out the cell phone and got a hold of the factory. I ordered a new engine and am now stuck in Panzhihua for 4 days. It’s not all bad thought, this gives Lisa time to recover from her illness and gives me time to get up to date on work, ride reports, photos and emails. Marcus and Lynn pressed on to Luguhu. I hope we’ll be able to catch up to them soon.

Sorry not many photos today. The bike trouble, sick Lisa and road conditions meant the shutter button was on the back burner.

I’m waiting for the new engine now. I should be back on the road again in 4 days. Fingers crossed
Supersignet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 12:05 AM   #62
scythe08
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
OMG, Talk about a cliff-hanger. I hope your wife feels better and things pick up for you.

Eagerly awaiting the next update,,,,,BTW the pic with the huge coin is now my desktop
scythe08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 07:57 AM   #63
kingdm54
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
Great report. Myself and another teacher are hoping to ride to Yunnan from Yichang on our summer break next year. We will be following your report. Great pictures.
kingdm54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 10:31 AM   #64
ERIC DN
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 416
Thanks a lot for sharing,

fantastic report and pics

Eric
ERIC DN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 03:50 PM   #65
Strega 51
Guerilla Radio

Oddometer: 75
Fantastic waiting for next installment...
Strega 51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 03:30 AM   #66
Supersignet OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Thanks for all the compliments and plugs. I just got the word from the fixers, the new engine is in the bike and I'll be back on the road tomorrow. Watch for coming up dates....
Supersignet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 04:24 AM   #67
Roughshod
weld proud

Oddometer: 101
Cool2

A highly entertaining report and wow! top notch photography. Challenging road conditions, incredible medical conditions, and daily complications. You guys are true ADV jockeys. Cudos to your ladies for their bravery. I wish you good luck and safe but exciting passage.
Roughshod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 06:04 AM   #68
kurvenwetzer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39

thanx, for sharing those great pics,....
and thanx for this great report!

kurvenwetzer
-------------
I never drive fast, I just fly low!
kurvenwetzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 06:41 AM   #69
pookiebear
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 955
cool looking motorcycles too. Nice report.
pookiebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 07:18 AM   #70
KrushKid
n00b

Oddometer: 9
more great stuff, keep it up, try to avoid more painfull hospital visits! lol
KrushKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 09:07 PM   #71
SwitchThrottle
Bring da amber lamps

Oddometer: 1,048

Riding a motorcycle is fun. Riding a supermoto is inexplicable.
SwitchThrottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 11:47 PM   #72
kuyaoli
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
what a colorful picture-ful adventurous ride. It is really amazing.

I hope your wife will get better soon and that the new engine will work and does not put you in trouble again.

Keep on posting.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:51 AM   #73
KrushKid
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Need more pics!!!
KrushKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 07:12 AM   #74
Roughshod
weld proud

Oddometer: 101
I see the news shows Typhoon Morakot heading in the general direction of Guiyang. Hope you guys missed the storm...
Roughshod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 07:42 AM   #75
lowbudget
_twin brothers on the go_

Oddometer: 324
Outstanding photos and a very nice report!

Hope you´ll be back on the street soon.
Kawasaki: KLR 600 - #1 1984; #2 1989
KTM EXC 250 2012
Beta: 300RR 2014, Rev 3 270 2005
TM 144EN 2009
lowbudget is offline   Reply With Quote