Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2009, 09:35 PM   #91
SimpleSimon
Aspiring advrider

Oddometer: 3,388
Cool ride report. Bummer about the corrupt police and fixer problems.

"Assembled Spectator Scoring With Incriminating Photographic Evidence" or A.S.S.W.I.P.E. - Granparacer
SimpleSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:52 PM   #92
Supersignet OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleSimon
Cool ride report. Bummer about the corrupt police and fixer problems.
Sadly these are two things you have to live with when you live and ride in the big red machine..
Supersignet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 10:04 PM   #93
Kamala
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,459
Spectacular!

Thanks for sharing!
Old 08-14-2009, 07:56 AM   #94
KrushKid
n00b

Oddometer: 9
wow the police event woulda sent a chill down my spine too, glad to hear you got out ok, had stuff like that happen to me in Mexico, never a fun thing.

more amazing pictures, luv the food pics too, make me hungry for some eastern delights!!
KrushKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 02:20 AM   #95
Supersignet OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Some night pics from Lijiang

Old 08-16-2009, 02:29 AM   #96
Supersignet OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 21: Aug 15, Lijiang to Dali for the Fire Festival

Yesterday had been a rough day. The weather had kept us indoors. It was cold and wet and we decided to take the time to relax. We were expecting more of the same weather today and when we woke up the forecast hadn’t lied to us. Just like yesterday there was lots of rain and lots of cold. I hopped online and checked the weather. All it said was more of the same. I was getting disheartened. I had left the bike at the police station because the parking was free and I was sure the place was safe. Today was Saturday and I knew that if I didn’t go pick up the bike I wouldn’t be able to get it on Sunday. Ten am rolled around and I decided, even with the shit weather that I’d go get the bike so we could leave early tomorrow morning.

I grabbed my helmet, gloves and jacket and went outside to find a cab. When I was in the cab on the way to the police station the rain stopped. The skies were still gray, but at least the rain had stopped. I paid my money, got out of the cab and wondered into the police station for the 4th time in 4 days. I unlocked the bike, popped the key in the ignition and just like that the sun popped out from behind the clouds. I started the bike up and rode back to the hotel to pick up my luggage and my wife. It was getting late in the day, but it had been a long time since we had nice ridding weather and I didn’t want to waste it.

Lisa was happy. The sun was shining and it meant we could get out of Lijiang and head down the road to Dali. Lijiang had been a beautiful city, but really didn’t seem that welcoming. We were happy to leave and even happier to see the sun. We checked out of the hotel and by noon we were on the road. We had about 220km to cover to get to Dali, but the roads were major roads and rumored to be in great shape.

The kilometers rolled by on the pristine blacktop. We were making great time and by 3:30 we had arrived in Dali, found a hotel and were looking for a place to eat our first meal of the day. Walking down the old streets in Dali we noticed a lot of people setting up torches for the fire festival in the evening. We had heard about this day during the past few weeks and were excited to know that tonight was the night the fire festival would be happening.

Our idea for the festival couldn’t have been any further than the reality we would experience. In some cities and in some parts of Yunnan, Guizhou and Sichuan when people enjoy the fire festival they usually have a dance, sing some songs and enjoy the evening. Here in Dali though, it was all out war. Everyone was running around with torches and gun powder. When you walked by the torches people would throw gun powder on to the fire and scare the shit out of everyone. I was amazed at what I saw. It looked like complete carnage. There was fire being thrown everywhere and at everyone.

At one point some people thought they’d be really smart and try to ride their bikes through the “festival” as the people threw fireballs at the bikers one of the bikes was forced to stop and the following bike crashed into the leader at a good speed. They picked up their bikes quickly and rode off.

Here is a photo of the bikes smashing into each other and the bike's headlight exploding.

I ran around with the camera for a couple of hours trying to capture what I was seeing and experiencing. It was ludicrous. If anyone wants to experience something completely nuts and completely other worldly you have to make it to Dali for the 15th of August for the fire festival.
Old 08-16-2009, 03:39 AM   #97
Supersignet OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Supersignet screwed with this post 08-16-2009 at 03:52 AM
Old 08-16-2009, 06:42 AM   #98
NikonVT
Gettin Bruced Again

Oddometer: 2,447
these photos are marvelous

Bras cause cancer.
NikonVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 05:10 PM   #99
Supersignet OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonVT
these photos are marvelous
Thanks
Old 08-16-2009, 06:54 PM   #100
bach_t
n00b

Oddometer: 7
bach_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 08:09 PM   #101
SwitchThrottle
Bring da amber lamps

Oddometer: 1,048
Did you use the video function on your camera during the fire festival?

I found this video on youtube, but it looks tame compaired to what you discribed. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jP2WD...eature=related

Riding a motorcycle is fun. Riding a supermoto is inexplicable.
SwitchThrottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 11:48 PM   #102
Pfaelzer
Rides with Ann

Oddometer: 6
Great road trip. A real biking adventure. Spirit, bike, roads, land and people with all nice and some not so nice sides. Hope you two will ride on healthy and safe and maybe with some better weather too. Can't wait to read more...

Thanks!
Pfaelzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:42 AM   #103
KrushKid
n00b

Oddometer: 9
ok dewd thes are some of the best photos yet, some of them are completely spellbinding! I gotta hand it to you, your getting better with every session, and hte magery just keeps suprizing with every new setting. Esp like the brightly lit night shots of kids plain with fire and the extream opposit of the temple silhouet at day, and the old people and kids series, keep it up man!!
KrushKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 04:25 AM   #104
Supersignet OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for all the nice comments. Lisa and I put another 900km on the shineray in the past two days. We are on the way to something amazing. stay tuned for a big update.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:17 PM   #105
BitesTheDust
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
BitesTheDust is offline   Reply With Quote